Cork Footballers

Long read, so i wont copy and paste, but it's a good read. You have to admire the man

People seem to forget that it was the current County Board that gave Ronan McCarthy a 2 year extension.
So they can't remain blameless.
Eventhough most on here didn't agree with this extension and were proved correct.
Where is Conor Counihan in all of this? How long has he been in his role of Director of Football. I think great work/systems being put in place at under age seeing recent appointments and at Minor/U20 but the Senior team needs everyones attention immediately as a priority imo

Boom Boom Boy

Glanmire won a county minor title and none of them players were brought through under Ricken's U-21 management last year. It was like there was a belief that they wouldn't have won it only for Tomas O'Shea, not much system there! O'Shea deserves credit but so do the players and some of them should have been involved, hopefully that will change this year. I believe the County Board or Divisional Boards don't have any system when picking selectors.

Where is Conor Counihan in all of this? How long has he been in his role of Director of Football. I think great work/systems being put in place at under age seeing recent appointments and at Minor/U20 but the Senior team needs everyones attention immediately as a priority imo
Very true - we are generally competitive at underage level, winning a few titles from time to time. Trouble is, the resources we put in at senior level are a fraction of what they do over the border. Kerry essentially operating as a professional outfit with every aspect of training, s&c, diet/nutrition, video analysis, etc catered for.

Cork have come on from days of lads fitting out the gym themselves but still well short of standards in Kerry, Dublin, etc.

Boom Boom Boy

Glanmire won a county minor title and none of them players were brought through under Ricken's U-21 management last year. It was like there was a belief that they wouldn't have won it only for Tomas O'Shea, not much system there! O'Shea deserves credit but so do the players and some of them should have been involved, hopefully that will change this year. I believe the County Board or Divisional Boards don't have any system when picking selectors.
None of those Glanmire players warranted selection for an u20 team last year. Daniel hogan and cathal mccarthy were with cork u20 hurlers, James Crowley and Darragh Murray were still u18 last year, so might push on this year or next year onto the team. No one else then really that would be close to that level.

So long term injurys are Nathan Walsh, Conor O Callaghan, Killian O Hanlon, Aidan Browne , Liam O Donovan........Maurice Shanley, Damien Gore, Brian Hartnett are out short term....a number players have opted out including Clons Mark White i think hes a big loss in goals for long kicks at least...Daniel O Mahony out too for now maybe for college commitments....Barrs lads too ...
Interesting to see the first Leauge team and the Leauge panel...

So long term injurys are Nathan Walsh, Conor O Callaghan, Killian O Hanlon, Aidan Browne , Liam O Donovan........Maurice Shanley, Damien Gore, Brian Hartnett are out short term....a number players have opted out including Clons Mark White i think hes a big loss in goals for long kicks at least...Daniel O Mahony out too for now maybe for college commitments....Barrs lads too ...
Interesting to see the first Leauge team and the Leauge panel...
How long is Cathal O Mahony out I feel like we desperately need him up front

Cork93

You're correct regarding Cathal McCathy and Daniel Hogan but do you honestly also think James Crowley didn't warrant a place on the Cork minor panel in 2020? Glanmire defeated Douglas in that 2020 minor final and between 2019 and 2020 Douglas had 5 minors who played for Cork. Yet Crowley was the best kicker of a ball at that level around. This is a serious problem with Cork selectors, they will pick a fast guy or a big guy who can't properly kick the ball and it filters all the way through to senior level.

Same with defending, Olan Kelleher was a natural defender on that Glanmire minor team and he wasn't on the Cork U-21 panel in 2021 as a 19 year old.

You're correct regarding Cathal McCathy and Daniel Hogan but do you honestly also think James Crowley didn't warrant a place on the Cork minor panel in 2020? Glanmire defeated Douglas in that 2020 minor final and between 2019 and 2020 Douglas had 5 minors who played for Cork. Yet Crowley was the best kicker of a ball at that level around. This is a serious problem with Cork selectors, they will pick a fast guy or a big guy who can't properly kick the ball and it filters all the way through to senior level. Same with defending, Olan Kelleher was a natural defender on that Glanmire minor team and he wasn't on the Cork U-21 panel in 2021 as a 19 year old.
Didn’t say anything about lads on minor teams. I said that Darragh Murray and James Crowley have every chance of making an u20 team this year as u19’s, certainly next year. Olan is u20 this year now, starting full back for ucc fresher so I hear, so he will be in the shop window. If he’s good enough he’ll make it. He was playing junior b with glanmire last year so yeah I’d say I’m right in saying he wasn’t up to cork u20 last year..

Quote Didn’t say anything about lads on minor teams. I said that Darragh Murray and James Crowley have every chance of making an u20 team this year as u19’s, certainly next year. Olan is u20 this year now, starting full back for ucc fresher so I hear, so he will be in the shop window. If he’s good enough he’ll make it. He was playing junior b with glanmire last year so yeah I’d say I’m right in saying he wasn’t up to cork u20 last year.

The point is that there is a follow on from the minors which shows up poor Cork selection when Douglas had 5 minors involved and Glanmire had 1 although they lost to Glanmire in the minor final with all those players lining out.

I agree with you on Crowley and Murray for this year but Murray made the Cork minor team in 2020 and Crowley didn't even make the panel, this is the discrepancy I was highlighting.

I'm disappointed to here that Olan is gone from a stand out defender on a county winning minor team to only playing Junior B a year later. I suppose there wasn't any U-21 championship in the Imokilly division in 2021 which could set him back like a lot of players.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

10th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Thursday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 6:30pm

More events ▼