The County Board Complaints Thread

Does Frank Need To Go

• Total voters
I would say as another poster mentioned that for current junior clubs it’s all about winning the county anyway. Munster is only an afterthought. So Option A makes sense in that regard as it allows Junior clubs to play on later in the year. Biggest opposition to Option A will come in the form of the intermediate clubs who will not want to be regraded as ‘Premier Junior’ and the LIHC clubs who will be sent back to their divisions finally. Option A protects divisions and the standard in them while streamlining dates for completion of Cork comps that require clubs to go out to Munster. A win win I feel
Standard of Junior in some Divisions is very poor, along with their administrations, cant blame clubs for not wanting to face back into that - Option B will be popular amongst those clubs I'd imagine

Last edited:
For anyone who hasn’t seen the full proposals.. The following options, hereby circulated on behalf of the County Executive and CCC will be voted on at the next County Committee meeting on Tuesday, February 1st. There will be an open webinar and Q&A to provide further detail on the options on next Tuesday, January 25th @7.30pm. Link to follow. Intermediate & Junior Championship Proposal Following the circulation of the proposed master fixture plan before Christmas, a meeting took place with Divisional officers recently where it was made clear to the County CCC that the deadlines for the completion of Divisional Junior A competitions in early September were not achievable. The combined effects of the split season and rigid Munster deadlines meant that a total of seven weekends were available for the completion of both Junior Football and Hurling Championships in the Divisions. A window of twelve to fourteen weeks would be more appropriate. It was agreed by all that this scenario was not workable and thus, a number of solutions were considered. Firstly, the current structures (Option C - “Status Quoâ€) could possibly be maintained if knockout championships were re-introduced to all Divisions or if Cork representation in Munster Junior competitions was discontinued. Both options were immediately ruled out. Further consideration was given to nominated panels of 15 being named by Senior and Intermediate clubs, thus allowing Junior competitions to start earlier, by perhaps three to four weeks. However, this was not considered viable as implementation would be too difficult for clubs and appropriate monitoring of same would not be possible. Also, with just 15 named players ruled out, it would give a distinct disadvantage to second teams of clubs. Also, it would not assist Divisions where inter-county players lined out for Junior clubs, thus not being in a position to start earlier. Neither would the separation of first and second teams into different sections as the championship would be delayed by a County player in any case. In the course of the meeting another proposal (Option A - “Intermediate A renamed as Premier Juniorâ€) was put forward by one Division. Under this model, the lowest Intermediate grade in each code (4th grade) would be renamed as Premier Junior and the winners of that 12-team competition would represent Cork in the Munster Junior Championship annually. If so, the Munster Junior deadline would be achievable, along a similar time-frame to Senior and Intermediate deadlines. Then, the full calendar year could be allocated to Junior A championships for the Divisional and subsequent County stages. If this were to be approved by County Committee in 2022, then "Intermediate A Football" and "Lower Intermediate Hurling" would be immediately renamed as “Premier Junior A Football†and “Premier Junior A Hurling†for the current year and the winners of the respective competitions would proceed to Munster Junior championships. Then, in 2023, the Hurling competition would discontinue (as previously approved) and "Intermediate A Hurling" would be renamed as "Premier Junior A Hurling". Ultimately, there would be four grades under the County Board, "Premier Senior" (12 teams), "Senior A" (12 teams), "Intermediate" (12 teams), "Premier Junior" (16 teams). For example, in 2023, the following 12 teams would be in "Premier Junior Hurling"; Sarsfields, Aghada, Cloughduv, Aghabullogue, Mayfield, Midleton, Blackrock, Douglas, Dungourney, Kildorrery, Lisgoold, Meelin, along with four of the following clubs (the remainder would play Junior A in the Divisions): Kilbrittain, Glen Rovers, Ballygarvan, Tracton, Argideen Rangers, Milford, Ballygiblin, Barryroe, Dripsey, St. Finbarr’s, St. Catherine’s, Russell Rovers. For example, in 2023, the following teams would be in "Premier Junior Football"; Mitchelstown, St. Nick’s, Kilshannig, Aghabullogue Glanworth, Millstreet, Dromtarriffe, Ballydesmond, Adrigole, Boherbue, Gabriel Rangers, Ballinora, Glanmire, Glenville, Kildorrery, St. Finbarr’s. An alternative proposal (Option B - “Lower Intermediate renamed as Premier Juniorâ€) with some similarities, has subsequently been brought forward. Again, the lowest Intermediate grade would be renamed as Premier Junior, but in this case, it would be the fifth grade. In other words, "Lower Intermediate Hurling" would be retained and renamed as "Premier Junior Hurling", while in football a new fifth grade of Football (12 teams) would be added and named as "Premier Junior Football. This grade of 12 teams would be formed by the bottom four teams in Intermediate A football in 2022 along with the eight Divisional winners from 2022 also. It would also address this issue of Urhan having no championship games in their Division currently as they would automaically be graded premier junior as Beara winners. Ultimately, there would be five grades under the County Board, "Premier Senior" (12 teams), "Senior A" (12 teams), "Premier Intermediate" (12 teams), "Intermediate A" (12 teams) and "Premier Junior" (12 teams). For example, in 2022, the following 12 teams would be in Premier Junior Hurling; Kilbrittain, Glen Rovers, Ballygarvan, Tracton, Argideen Rangers, Milford, Ballygiblin, Barryroe, Dripsey, St. Finbarr’s, St. Catherine’s, Russell Rovers. For example, in 2023, Premier Junior Football would be comprised of 4 current Intermediate A teams along with the eight Divisional winners from 2022. In 2022, Junior A football would take priority in the Divisions so that the Divisional winners could complete the County stages in time for this year’s deadline. The fifth grade winners (currently LIHC – renamed as Premier Junior) would represent Cork in Junior Hurling in 2022. Therefore, three options will go to County Committee on February 1st and a vote will take place to select the preferred option. (Option A) The fourth grade, Intermediate A, would be renamed as “Premier Junior†with the winners representing Cork in Munster. (Option B) The fifth grade, Lower Intermediate, would be renamed as “Premier Junior" with the winners representing Cork in Munster. (Option C) The 'status quo', which will require knockout Junior championships and midweek games. The vote will be by proportional representation with clubs voting in order of their preferred choices. An online webinar Q&A session with clubs on the proposals will follow on Tuesday Jan 25th at 7.30pm, before a decision at the following week’s County Committee meeting. Clubs are welcome to submit queries on all of the above by email.
They ever hear of paragraphs :)

Rampaging? They won their s/final by 4pts...everyone was expecting a good final, Kilbrittain didnt turn up on the day, there were far bigger margins of victory throught our top grade football c'ship

They won it handier than they won the Junior A championship only a few months prior anyway. These LIHC teams would be better served in Junior themselves I reckon. They could challenge for divisional trophies. Get what your saying that some divisions administration is poor with lots of dinosaurs. But I’m of the opinion that these teams have had enough of a chance to play at higher level and maybe they now belong at Junior standard. Only natural that they would be opposed to this and that’s fair enough. No one wants to ‘drop’

They won it handier than they won the Junior A championship only a few months prior anyway. These LIHC teams would be better served in Junior themselves I reckon. They could challenge for divisional trophies. Get what your saying that some divisions administration is poor with lots of dinosaurs. But I’m of the opinion that these teams have had enough of a chance to play at higher level and maybe they now belong at Junior standard. Only natural that they would be opposed to this and that’s fair enough. No one wants to ‘drop’
For too long we protected clubs who were more concerned about their status than actually winning games. This is why we are in the process of correcting an imbalance across all the grades currently.

I think it should be the following from what we currently have:
1. Premier Senior to be named Senior
2. Senior A to be named Premier Intermediate
3. Premier Intermediate to be Intermediate A
4. Everyone in Intermediate A fired back down to the divisions. Junior is dying off and it may suit the CCB for that to happen but generally speaking I would like to see the divisions and junior county spark back to life.

I know the above won’t happen. B will win the day as it offends the least amount of teams.

With the number of Clubs we have in Cork it makes since to have a number of grades , and something has to be done to the Junior Championships i think B is the best ....take the Junior Football Championship i think you have in an around 96 clubs starting off so in the new split season there is no way we could have winners for the Munster deadline ...that s why if you have the new 12 team Premier Junior it makes since....all the other clubs can then start early in the summer in the Divisional Championships with no rush to run them off for Munster deadlines...the outright winner of this will get promoted to the Premier Junior .
Now maybe Cork could ask the power s that be that we could play the winners of our top three Championship s in the Munster competitions !

I think its the thought of going back to dealing with the Divisional Boards would be biggest issue, I'd imagine they would grab Option B which rebrands them as Premier 'Junior' no bother to remain under the Co Boards remit.

PS, take a look at some the q/final results of Lisgoolds Junior A Co win of 2020, some right hammerings were handed out to Junior A Divisional winners by teams that went no further in the next round. The standard is woeful in some Divisions, plenty of the teams that could be sent back down would inflict serious damage on the scoreboard in each Division imo - how good for the game at the most local of levels would that be???

Last edited:
I think its the thought of going back to dealing with the Divisional Boards would be biggest issue, I'd imagine they would grab Option B which rebrands them as Premier 'Junior' no bother to remain under the Co Boards remit.

PS, take a look at some the q/final results of Lisgoolds Junior A Co win of 2020, some right hammerings were handed out to Junior A Divisional winners by teams that went no further in the next round. The standard is woeful in some Divisions, plenty of the teams that could be sent back down would inflict serious damage on the scoreboard in each Division imo - how good for the game at the most local of levels would that be???
There were 3 clubs who won the 2020 county and then went straight on to win the 2021 county up a grade. Most of them won games fairly handily.

I think that says more about the lower grades being low on quality more so than the 3 clubs being exceptional. Intermediate A in both codes and LIH are junior A standard at best. Most teams in there are only clinging on to status by the fingernails. It’s good for nobody.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nicole Maguire
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

25th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Underground Ovation Open Decks

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼