Training Run Times

What are the chances of getting into dublin this year? I could find myself buzzing after cork in june raring to go again,
It's gotten harder to get into Dublin in recent years..especially since it switched to a Sunday. There was a window to enter a lottery for an entry spot but it closed on Jan 13th.

Have been gradually going to pieces on the achilles front - icing it wasn't enough and it finally went BANG! last week. The physio took a look but as soon as he touched it I leapt around 3 feet off the table with the pain. Cue the standard physio response - "I don't know how ye long distance runners can literally run yourselves to a standstill".

It's always a bollix of an injury - you can actually tip away at the runing but there is a gradual performance decline and an increase in pain until eventually you end up deep into a bad cul-de-sac.

The choice is to mooch along and go to Boston in tourist mode (while living on the edge) or take more drastic action. So, I've decided to stop running completely for two weeks and to do extensive rehab each day to see if that can help. Defnitiely just rest will not be enough - the old broken bike in the shed analogy. So, a sh*tload of youtubing later, I have a planned set of rehab exercises each day. Also, if and when I do get back, I'll need to put some sort of elevation into the heels of the shoes to take it easy on the achilles in recovery.

It's a bad development, but for me there is a perverse sense of achievement in this - a year ago I wasn't supposed to be running again but here I am 12 months later with an injury from doing too much running. Achilles tendonitis is annoying - but treatable.

Have been gradually going to pieces on the achilles front - icing it wasn't enough and it finally went BANG! last week. The physio took a look but as soon as he touched it I leapt around 3 feet off the table with the pain. Cue the standard physio response - "I don't know how ye long distance runners can literally run yourselves to a standstill".

It's always a bollix of an injury - you can actually tip away at the runing but there is a gradual performance decline and an increase in pain until eventually you end up deep into a bad cul-de-sac.

The choice is to mooch along and go to Boston in tourist mode (while living on the edge) or take more drastic action. So, I've decided to stop running completely for two weeks and to do extensive rehab each day to see if that can help. Defnitiely just rest will not be enough - the old broken bike in the shed analogy. So, a sh*tload of youtubing later, I have a planned set of rehab exercises each day. Also, if and when I do get back, I'll need to put some sort of elevation into the heels of the shoes to take it easy on the achilles in recovery.

It's a bad development, but for me there is a perverse sense of achievement in this - a year ago I wasn't supposed to be running again but here I am 12 months later with an injury from doing too much running. Achilles tendonitis is annoying - but treatable.
You're some man for one man BPT!
I can't offer you any advice that would be of any help, but best of luck

My running had been coming along nicely before Christmas but the break didn't work out as planned with Covid (like everyone else's) so family ended up staying longer until they could fly so it turned into a month of messing. The last few runs have been tough going and a few Christmas pounds there to shift again, time to get my skates on

Sorry to hear about the achillies

This has worked for me recently enough

I wouldn't do it if your heel is on fire though but I used to get that throb in the heel every time I went out no matter how long i rested. It worked wonders for me. You look like an awful langer doing it though

Sorry to hear about the achillies

This has worked for me recently enough

I wouldn't do it if your heel is on fire though but I used to get that throb in the heel every time I went out no matter how long i rested. It worked wonders for me. You look like an awful langer doing it though
Cheers Guapo - will work it in to the schedule. I look like a langer half the time anyway so no worries there ;)

Sorry to hear that Terrier, a bloody disaster for you.

Heel raises i guess are key for now.

Basic Heel raises off the floor for couple of days and progressing to the edge of a step where you drop your heel further in few days time. No weights at first but adding weight over next couple of weeks if you can manage it (10kg or so) . Key is to raise yourself up and back down slowly and controlled. I wouldnt go beyond 80% in terms of height when up on your toes for now though.

Another Heel raise exercise which i like is - Sit on regular chair (kitchen table sort), sitting as normal with knee at 90degrees and feet flat on the floor. Place a dumbell on your knees (at least 10kg) and raise your heels off the floor with balls of your feet staying in contact with the ground. Good for the achillies and lower calf. Its quite tolerable.

Shockwave therapy can help a tendon along i find, with such poor blood flow in a tendon, the shockwave can stimulate a repair reaction. let me know if you want more info or a guy to contact.

Obviously it is quite sore now and a couple of days are no harm, but you would be encouraged to do some bit of slow running by almost all physios. Total rest for Feet and Ankles injuries wont help. It seems counterintuitive by the tendon needs to be be continually loaded for it to recover.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Terrier, a bloody disaster for you.

Heel raises i guess are key for now.
Basic Heel raises off the floor for couple of days and progressing to the edge of a step where you drop your heel further in few days time. No weights at first but adding weight over next couple of weeks if you can manage it (10kg or so) . Key is to raise yourself up and back down slowly and controlled. I wouldnt go beyond 80% in terms of height when up on your toes for now though.

Shockwave therapy can help a tendon along i find, with such poor blood flow in a tendon, the shockwave can stimulate a repair reaction. let me know if you want more info or a guy to contact.

Obviously it is quite sore now and a couple of days are no harm, but you would be encouraged to do some bit of slow running by almost all physios. Total rest for Feet and Ankles injuries wont help. It seems counterintuitive by the tendon needs to be be continually loaded for it to recover.
Great stuff smurf - I see what you mean about the small bit of slow running. Will tap you up for the shockwave link if things are movnig too slowly

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Chris Kent and Gearóid Farrelly
The White Horse, Ballincollig

17th Apr 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼