2021 County Senior Football Championship

Billy will make it, if given half a chance, I don’t know are there two better corner backs in the county than him and Sam Ryan, who was absolutely superb under very difficult personal difficulties today.

Brian Hayes is only back from a hamstring, when he went down after 5 minutes I feared the worst but he was everywhere today, when maybe he should have been left on the edge of the square to cause wreck

Maguire is a machine, an animal, or maybe both, he’s not going to let a sore back get in his way of leading his club to glory, a real real leader
In the race for places in the full-back line I would put both Ryan and Hennessy a good distance behind Meehan (FB) Powter, O'Mahony, Ring and Kevin O'Donovan. Ryan impressed today with his tenacity, though, just not sure he has the football.

Hennessy is surely a half-back and not a corner-back anyway? But I think if he's coached well for a while (especially on tactics) he may become a solid squad member. He has been away from football a long time and I thought there were signs of that today.

Still curious about Hayes's work-rate in the last year, and will continue to worry until he gets a good year of work-rate behind him.

Couldn't agree more with you about Maguire's attitude. Such an impressive player and person. And he's a better footballer than given credit for. Let's not forget the total demolition job he did on David Moran in PUC in 2021. But he's been sub-par since the back issues started and that's the bones of a year now, I'd guess. I think he needs a long rest if he's to return to form. Just not sure when he'll get it.

Great win for the Barrs well done , Cork s no.1 team beats Kerry s no 1 team great for our County Senior Champions to now be Munster Senior Club Champions ...
This was a team effort but the Barrs would want to stop falling asleep its happened in most of there game s now no score for 20 mins of the second half today....if they cut that "nap" time out they will rattle the All-Ireland ...
That great save by John Kerins was the turning point to victory ...and the great Sheildsy nothing ever fazed him on a field and its great to see win another huge medal today....delighted for Ian MaGUIRE has suffered a lot in his football career and to finaly get a winners medal fantastic...and Brian Hayes what a talent 3 huge scores today and hats off to the management pulled a fast one at the start by putting Hayes in at 14 high ball ... Murray gets the goal his dad would be proud off...great day for Cork football.

In the race for places in the full-back line I would put both Ryan and Hennessy a good distance behind Meehan (FB) Powter, O'Mahony, Ring and Kevin O'Donovan. Ryan impressed today with his tenacity, though, just not sure he has the football.

Hennessy is surely a half-back and not a corner-back anyway? But I think if he's coached well for a while (especially on tactics) he may become a solid squad member. He has been away from football a long time and I thought there were signs of that today.

Still curious about Hayes's work-rate in the last year, and will continue to worry until he gets a good year of work-rate behind him.

Couldn't agree more with you about Maguire's attitude. Such an impressive player and person. And he's a better footballer than given credit for. Let's not forget the total demolition job he did on David Moran in PUC in 2021. But he's been sub-par since the back issues started and that's the bones of a year now, I'd guess. I think he needs a long rest if he's to return to form. Just not sure when he'll get it.

Podsy you just had to burst my bubble didn’t you 😀

Look I got a little carried away about Billy but he’s a damn good player who deserves a shot, however im not backtracking on Sam, as good a man marker as I’ve seen in cork this year (not that I watch much football)

Brian Hayes looks a lazy player but he is far from it, but if he’s not up to the standard just let him go play hurling instead 😀

Agree on Ian, he’s running on empty at this stage, but he somehow finds enough to get through the hour, and to pull us through games. He needs a serious break but it won’t come until next October at the earliest unless Ricken takes a holistic view to the league

Podsy you just had to burst my bubble didn’t you 😀

Look I got a little carried away about Billy but he’s a damn good player who deserves a shot, however im not backtracking on Sam, as good a man marker as I’ve seen in cork this year (not that I watch much football)

Brian Hayes looks a lazy player but he is far from it, but if he’s not up to the standard just let him go play hurling instead 😀

Agree on Ian, he’s running on empty at this stage, but he somehow finds enough to get through the hour, and to pull us through games. He needs a serious break but it won’t come until next October at the earliest unless Ricken takes a holistic view to the league
Hennessy looks like he could do a job as a stopper at centre back. Has physicality that is required from a centre back. Keeps his football simple which there’s nothing wrong with.

Ryan was great today. Especially as I am aware he had put down a difficult week off the field. I saw that match up and doubted him. He timed his jumps perfectly and snuffed out Donaghy who is a talisman for them. However Donaghy isn’t really that hard to mark as a genuine forward. He not fast or lethal. He’s just really awkward to deal with. Hurley absolutely cleaned Ryan in the county semi albeit he got no help at all. I think he’s somewhere in between as a player. Could do a job on certain forwards for Cork. Horses for courses. Definitely should be on the panel.

It would be no harm to give Maguire a rest for half of the league if possible. It might also push others to step up. Cork have become too reliant on Maguire. A fit and fresh Maguire would benefit Cork a lot more for half the league than a half crocked Maguire for all of it.

Hennessy looks like he could do a job as a stopper at centre back. Has physicality that is required from a centre back. Keeps his football simple which there’s nothing wrong with.

Ryan was great today. Especially as I am aware he had put down a difficult week off the field. I saw that match up and doubted him. He timed his jumps perfectly and snuffed out Donaghy who is a talisman for them. However Donaghy isn’t really that hard to mark as a genuine forward. He not fast or lethal. He’s just really awkward to deal with. Hurley absolutely cleaned Ryan in the county semi albeit he got no help at all. I think he’s somewhere in between as a player. Could do a job on certain forwards for Cork. Horses for courses. Definitely should be on the panel.

It would be no harm to give Maguire a rest for half of the league if possible. It might also push others to step up. Cork have become too reliant on Maguire. A fit and fresh Maguire would benefit Cork a lot more for half the league than a half crocked Maguire for all of it.
Play Maguire in home games only

Fair play to the Barrs. Cork needs a club of that size flexing its muscle on the national stage more often and it's needs a football club other than Nemo to show it can perform outside the county championship.

Might be too early to use it as an example of how the new format has lead to a big increase in standards but you'd have to say they were better prepared than the last time. There's a lot of misgivings about the standard in Cork club championship compared to what we see in Kerry, but when our winners dump out their winners maybe it shows that's more of a perception than what we thought.

Congrats to the Barrs. Delighted for the Cork reps and doubly so for beating a kirry mob. DIdn't see the game but I believe the guy marking Donaghy didn't give him a sniff.

County medals are hard to win. Munster medals are the thing dreams are made of. Even if they don't get any further and they're up against a tough crew next, congrats and well done Barrs. And the very best of luck in the AI series.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼