Training Run Times

Well, that cold spell was brief - I'll confess I did go the tights route for two spins but back in the shorts today in a perfect 9 degrees.

In terms of an update, my form has been stodgy enough over the past couple of weeks - fear of the hamstring translates to fear of speed sessions so all the running is at "steady" pace. The main goal has been to deliver 40 miles a week over four spins. Sometimes that works out OK - if you're feeling fresh in the right conditions the miles tick by nicely and you steadily speed up through an 8 or 10-miler almost without noticing. However, it can also lead to boredom and stodge where it feels like you've never run a springy step in your life and you're counting every lampost as you plough through the spin.

That latter stodge has been the from for the past fortnight or so but today I got out for a rare lunchtime 11-miler. Granted, it was very windy but the sunshine was a massive tonic. I headed out the back of the railway station, along the quays and Mardyke and North over "Wellington" Bridge and onto the Lee Road. Felt pretty good in the headwind even through the long climb to Kerry Pike and then had a decent tailwind from the Angler's all the way in the straight road and home again. The times were nothing to worry my former co-competitors in the Abbott M55 world rankings but the last 6 miles (admittedly in a tailwind) split around the 7:09 mark and that's getting very close to where you'd like to be on a routine spin 14 weeks out from Boston.

No doubt there's lots of shite weather on the way through the next 6 or 8 weeks but every session you get in sunshine like that is another one stolen from the Winter gods (y)
Nice motoring BT!

Happy New year lads. I do hope to be back to on the road soon and will post on here if and when I'm back to 'normal'. Take care folks. We know there are more important things than running but let me tell ya, it's no joke when you can't get out there. Enjoy every minute of it.
Hey C., I missed this one the first time around - or at least missed out on replying. That’s great news about your impending return. Well done on sticking it out - we’ll get you pacing Jimmy around the marathon in June yet lad 😉

A narrow improvement but I’ll take whatever I can get. Are you still planning on going to Seville Smurf?
Take every second you can get especially over the fast stuff, we inevitably lose some speed as we graduate through the categories. You had a crap couple of years through injury and to get back to running PB's is fantastic.

I have all but pulled out of Seville. I could go over for the weekend and get around comfortably, maybe even enjoy it. Im just not fit enough to race it. Its a long way to go for a long run. Will chat with the rest of the gang on our long run tomorrow, half in the hope that others decide against as well. I think all 7 of us had all signed up last Autumn!

Did 9 miles this morning, hamstring still a bit tight, Have john treacy 10 mile in dungarvan feb 6th, will take a week off. and , heat, ice, stretch, rest it,

On the off chance that you ever feel cocky about your ability in this game, check out the results from yesterday's 10k in Valencia. My PB of 36.48, which I'm fairly proud of!!, would have sneaked me into the top 750. Just.
Flipping hell. It's an issue with racing in a place like Lux, where you can finish high up the field.

Did 9 miles this morning, hamstring still a bit tight, Have john treacy 10 mile in dungarvan feb 6th, will take a week off. and , heat, ice, stretch, rest it,
Hi Jimmy, alternating the ice and a bit of heat should sort you soon enough. A bit of walking and a couple of short slow jogs wont do any harm as long as you keep the stride length short so as not to elongate the hamstring. I would try to avoid any static stretching whatsoever until you are happy you can run normally without any discomfort.

Hi Jimmy, alternating the ice and a bit of heat should sort you soon enough. A bit of walking and a couple of short slow jogs wont do any harm as long as you keep the stride length short so as not to elongate the hamstring. I would try to avoid any static stretching whatsoever until you are happy you can run normally without any discomfort.
Thanks for the advice, Will try to get out for a few miles later in week at a very gentle pace,

Sorry to hear about the hammer Jimmy . A little rest should do the trick and will be beneficial in the long run .

On the injury front I had a much lighter week after picking up a "knock" myself on Thursday evening . I was out in the rain running and was going along on a downhill section of newly laid limestone paving and slipped , ended up landing on the left side of back around the shoulder blade area . I was lucky not to break anything but the tactile paving left an interesting series of bruises .

Hoping to get back out tomorrow night after a few days rest.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Coldplace - The World's Leading Coldplay Tribute
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

20th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Niamh Bury

Old Oak, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼