Niner

The card game

I have never found anyone outside Cork who has even heard of it. You are dealt 9 cards and you make 3 hands of 3 cards more or less using poker scoring/ranking rules. You can make the 3 hands up any way you like and then you turn your cards upside down so they are set before game play starts. The first hand must be stronger than the second and the 3rd the weakest, so this is where the strategy happens depending on the strength of the hand you have been dealt as you need to decide if you are trying to win, how you intend to do that, or if you are simply trying to nab one win and keep the pot alive for the next deal. Each player turns their first 3 cards face up, the strongest hand wins the first 'day', same for the 2nd 3 and again for the last 3 cards. The winner must take 2 of the 3 days or its in again. If you win all 3 you get paid once more by all other players.

Its a brilliant game for kids to learn because whilst it is betting it is completely controlled as you can only pay to play in a hand, theres no raising or bluffing or any of the stuff that makes poker more complex. My grandfather taught us all to play when we were kids, my dad was a good player as well. We used to have great games with the family when we were younger so I remembered it at Christmas. Taught my in-laws and my kids to play, had some brilliant sessions over the last few weeks - the kids are loving it Anyone here play it?

Last edited:
The card game I have never found anyone outside Cork who has even heard of it. You are dealt 9 cards and you make 3 hands of 3 cards more or less using poker scoring/ranking rules. You can make the 3 hands up any way you like and then you turn your cards upside down so they are set before game play starts. The first hand must be stronger than the second and the 3rd the weakest, so this is where the strategy happens depending on the strength of the hand you have been dealt as you need to decide if you are trying to win, how you intend to do that, or if you are simply trying to nab one win and keep the pot alive for the next deal. Each player turns their first 3 cards face up, the strongest hand wins the first 'day', same for the 2nd 3 and again for the last 3 cards. The winner must take 2 of the 3 days or its in again. If you win all 3 you get paid once more by all other players. Its a brilliant game for kids to learn because whilst it is betting it is completely controlled as you can only pay to play in a hand, theres no raising or bluffing or any of the stuff that makes poker more complex. My grandfather taught us all to play when we were kids, my dad was a good player as well. We used to have great games with the family when we were younger so I remembered it at Christmas. Taught my in-laws and my kids to play, had some brilliant sessions over the last few weeks - the kids are loving it Anyone here play it?
Jesus you had a sheltered upbringing, we all played that on the streets, many a fight ensued after claims of cheating.
Nearest to the wall with coins was open warfare... God I miss those days.

Jesus you had a sheltered upbringing, we all played that on the streets, many a fight ensued after claims of cheating.
Nearest to the wall with coins was open warfare... God I miss those days.

I think its a generational thing Fed, my dad and grandfather always spoke about the games on the street the way you do, but no one would have played card games when I was growing up. You'd have to watch my old man like a hawk or he'd be dealing his own hand off the bottom!

Its a great game

I think its a generational thing Fed, my dad and grandfather always spoke about the games on the street the way you do, but no one would have played card games when I was growing up. You'd have to watch my old man like a hawk or he'd be dealing his own hand off the bottom!

Its a great game
Lol

Its a great game

Niner is OK. I prefer it to poker or pontoon but I'm astounded that nobody would play card games when you were growing up. We were thought 45 and 110 at an early age. Great games of strategy and risk and no money involved. We progressed on to Whist and Solo.

Happy days playing Don for my local, and winning Turkeys a few Christmases. I play an amount of on-line Bridge these days. Card games are great for the mind and great for social interaction. One landlord of my local back in the day banned both pontoon and poker - too many guys were losing too much money.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sister Act The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

3rd Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Fiesta Latina with DJ Wilros

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼