2021 County Senior Football Championship

Have Nemo same management next year - surely be a big push on out there for their Centenary year in 2022
I'm out of the loop these days(emigrated to Passage), usually it's decided officially after New Years.

There's no successor anointed that I know of, Stephen O'Brien might throw his name in if O'Donovan doesn't remain.

It would be a special celebration if they win, not that you take it for granted any other year, but it would mean abit more. Mainly right now they will want to clear out the odour of their performances against Douglas and Vallys.

I'm out of the loop these days(emigrated to Passage), usually it's decided officially after New Years.

There's no successor anointed that I know of, Stephen O'Brien might throw his name in if O'Donovan doesn't remain.

It would be a special celebration if they win, not that you take it for granted any other year, but it would mean abit more. Mainly right now they will want to clear out the odour of their performances against Douglas and Vallys.
How’s Nemo’s underage looking?

No offence, but for me I don’t see Nemo dominating the next 10 years in the same way they have in the past. I look at their team and a lot of their stalwarts are in the twilight of their careers and the few younger guys breaking onto the team (M Cronin excluded) don’t really have the same quality. I’m not familiar with their underage results but I don’t see many of their players featuring in Cork teams which is probably indicative.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re still around the front of the pack and could well win it next year but I’d have them behind the Barrs, Haven and Clon right now.

Seems to me that Nemo need to find a couple of forwards. For a while now, they've been relying almost completely on Kerrigan to create and Connolly to score, especially in the last year when they took extra measures to stop themselves getting hit on the counter. While this was wise, it does mean that you're also robbed of the traditional Nemo strength of technically excellent backs attacking from deep, so you become even more reliant on Kerrigan and Connolly.

Pa Campbell would have been a good addition in time, perhaps even as early as this year, but I presume the IRFU will insist that he doesn't play football. I'm not sure what their other options are for 2022.

How’s Nemo’s underage looking?

No offence, but for me I don’t see Nemo dominating the next 10 years in the same way they have in the past. I look at their team and a lot of their stalwarts are in the twilight of their careers and the few younger guys breaking onto the team (M Cronin excluded) don’t really have the same quality. I’m not familiar with their underage results but I don’t see many of their players featuring in Cork teams which is probably indicative.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re still around the front of the pack and could well win it next year but I’d have them behind the Barrs, Haven and Clon right now.

Is Cronin fit and injury-free?

Pa Campbell would have been a good addition in time, perhaps even as early as this year, but I presume the IRFU will insist that he doesn't play football. I'm not sure what their other options are for 2022.
IRFU would have no say in a provincial academy player like Patrick Campbell. And I’m certain he wouldn’t want play himself even if Munster were to allow it (which they wouldn’t). If he gets hurt playing GAA, out injured for a while he could potentially miss out on a professional contract down the line. It comes down to the player himself making a choice, and he would be crazy to choose anything other than rugby with Munster at this moment in time.

IRFU would have no say in a provincial academy player like Patrick Campbell. And I’m certain he wouldn’t want play himself even if Munster were to allow it (which they wouldn’t). If he gets hurt playing GAA, out injured for a while he could potentially miss out on a professional contract down the line. It comes down to the player himself making a choice, and he would be crazy to choose anything other than rugby with Munster at this moment in time.

Thanks for clearing that up, Cork 93.

I agree that it's highly unlikely. I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he might want to - after all, Mark Keane has played for Mitchelstown while being an Aussie Rules pro - but, if as you say, Munster rugby wouldn't allow it then that's that.

A blow for Nemo, but I think it's been expected for some time.

Thanks for clearing that up, Cork 93.

I agree that it's highly unlikely. I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he might want to - after all, Mark Keane has played for Mitchelstown while being an Aussie Rules pro - but, if as you say, Munster rugby wouldn't allow it then that's that.

A blow for Nemo, but I think it's been expected for some time.
Yeah definitely a blow for them, a seriously talented player who would have led the line for them over the next decade no doubt!

Still can’t understand how Mark Keane is allowed back over to play so regularly!

Is he close to making a first team down there or does anyone know the story? Perhaps a clause put into the contract originally allowing him to come home and play for his club when free to do so?

Ogbene and Campbell some loses to their potential forward line in the last few years tbf, O'Driscoll still their go to guy inside which needs to be solved

I'd expect them to pick up one or two players this winter, they always seem to be able to find guys that will make a difference their set up when needed over the years - already heard talk of a young forward from the Kingdom on the way

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Io Capitano (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

28th Apr 2024 @ 4:15 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼