Cork Hurlers - Part 2

This coming from the fella who whinges about “the best goalie in Cork” and “the best center back in cork” over the last 5 years not getting a look in with the county
Where did I whinge or complain about them not getting a look in? In my opinion which is shared by many here, Hickey is the best keeper in the county and has been over the last 5 or 6 years, I never complained or moaned about him not getting picked and I have no idea who the best CB in Cork is but you probably just made that up as well because you are sore that it was pointed out that Hennesy has done nothing to stay or deserve to be on the Cork panel.
Don't bother posting on this thread if you can't be objective because of your club, it makes you look like a fool.

Twasnt too long ago someone here said Hennessy should have been given a shout of starting in the All Ireland against Limerick. Good grief. Fine player and a fine lad but never made an impression on the senior team. More power to him if he makes a go with the footballers.

James Sweeney looked like he never hurled in his life when I watched him against the Glen a while back. I was very disappointed after some glowing praise in here. Can't imagine the disaster that'd unfold under intercounty pressure and the defences he'd come up against. I haven't watched too much of him I'll admit but times are really beyond a new low if that's the sort of stuff we've to resort to. Big men who have a paw alone isn't the answer by any means.

Twasnt too long ago someone here said Hennessy should have been given a shout of starting in the All Ireland against Limerick. Good grief. Fine player and a fine lad but never made an impression on the senior team. More power to him if he makes a go with the footballers.

James Sweeney looked like he never hurled in his life when I watched him against the Glen a while back. I was very disappointed after some glowing praise in here. Can't imagine the disaster that'd unfold under intercounty pressure and the defences he'd come up against. I haven't watched too much of him I'll admit but times are really beyond a new low if that's the sort of stuff we've to resort to. Big men who have a paw alone isn't the answer by any means.
Would agree re Sweeney - not an inter county hurler by a long shot, and will be 26 next year. A grand club hurler for Sars but not the solution for Cork going forward, would be surprised if he’s even near an extended Cork Senior panel next season.

Just playing you at your own game kid The center back you said was the best was Brian Moylan, but sure you always knew that You’re telling me not to post here because I have an opinion is a little rich don’t you think 😀

Just playing you at your own game kid The center back you said was the best was Brian Moylan, but sure you always knew that You’re telling me not to post here because I have an opinion is a little rich don’t you think 😀
How are you playing me at my own game? You are the one whinging that a player who has been on the panel for nearly 5 years and has been dropped (if that has even happened) Five years and he still couldn't make it.
No problem with having an opinion but when you can't be objective because of your club then it is worthless. I am sure will be able to put up some posts with me whinging and moaning about those players not being picked, ffs Moylan is probably 33/34. Take your time, I doubt you will.

I thought the lad Guilfoyle(?) for Erins Own looked promising. Similar stature to Sweeney but a little more aggressive and strongly built.

I thought the lad Guilfoyle(?) for Erins Own looked promising. Similar stature to Sweeney but a little more aggressive and strongly built.
Sam Guilfoyle is the fella you’re thinking of! Big strong lad but absolutely zero hurling, only just about gets his game for Erin’s Own, and I’d say there are a few in Glounthaune who wonder how he’s even playing senior club hurling.
Does a job for them, strong aggressive player, but has nowhere near enough hurling for Senior Inter county level. He’s 25/26 also so not like he’s a young lad you could work on for the future.

Thistlecrack

James Sweeney was poor v Glen Rovers this year but he was outstanding v Midleton last year and that so-called poor Midleton side are now county champions.

The development of players is key and its not happening under Cork senior management.

Ciarmhac Smyth was poor v Limerick minors last December and he was excellent in this year's County Senior final, everyone is now talking about the Ben O'Connor factor regarding Smyth and some of his teamates.

When Eoin Cadogan and Sweeney had a good tussle last year Sars mentors moved Sweeney to the inside line for the Ballyhea and Erins Own games which was like playing a square peg in a round hole. IMO his confidence went downhill and he has since struggled. Ideally Sweeney should have been looked at by Cork in the 2021 National league but this is is where the Munster senior league could be utilised next month but between the Cork senior management and County Board they've refused to enter a team.

The management are now obsessed with youth and the U-20 AI winning squads, the vibes are coming from the Cork media every day. Colin O'Brien will be the go to player in the 2022 League campaign and if he delivers on his potential most folk will refer to his U-20 performances with Cork before the AI final when he was taken off and if he doesn't deliver they will refer to him playing junior hurling and Avondhu having no divisional senior hurling team. Sean Twomey will also feature as soon as his club are no longer involved in championship. The O'Brien/Twomey pair could have been the Sweeney/AN Other pair in 2021 but the management renagued and the likelihood is that those poor selectoral decisions will remain in 2022.

Ciaran Joyce certainly deserves game time at centre-back but surely Tommy O'Connell has to be played there first. Same applies to Daire O'Leary for full-back when you haven't played Colm Barry or Ryan Walsh there and used Robert Downey as a stop gap for the position rather than give him game time in the position. Roll on 2022 and all will be revealed.

Would agree re Sweeney - not an inter county hurler by a long shot, and will be 26 next year. A grand club hurler for Sars but not the solution for Cork going forward, would be surprised if he’s even near an extended Cork Senior panel next season.
Sam Guilfoyle is the fella you’re thinking of! Big strong lad but absolutely zero hurling, only just about gets his game for Erin’s Own, and I’d say there are a few in Glounthaune who wonder how he’s even playing senior club hurling.
Does a job for them, strong aggressive player, but has nowhere near enough hurling for Senior Inter county level. He’s 25/26 also so not like he’s a young lad you could work on for the future.
Spot on, I do love the giddyness of this thread around Christmas. Thanks be to God nobody here is picking the Cork panel, we wouldn't win the Christy Ring with some of the players being suggested. It was like last year when lads were crying to get all the Rockies in.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Prophet Song: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼