the wine thread

Also I met a sommelier online and he said your recommendation for the Marquis wine was spot on. Take a bow.
I know what I like GBOSY, that’s all, happy to share. If you like rioja there’s a small pocket called La Rioja Alta which is where that one is from, anything from there tends to be a nice cut above. Very traditional area, some of the best wines there take 9 years to make :)

I know what I like GBOSY, that’s all, happy to share. If you like rioja there’s a small pocket called La Rioja Alta which is where that one is from, anything from there tends to be a nice cut above. Very traditional area, some of the best wines there take 9 years to make :)
Would you buy any of the boxes mentioned? The sangre is a very mellow wine, I'm drinking it now. I know you buy your stuff online etc. Just thought it would be handy stocking up. Like if you had people over, be a mild wine to share. Maybe the missus likes white

Would you buy any of the boxes mentioned? The sangre is a very mellow wine, I'm drinking it now. I know you buy your stuff online etc. Just thought it would be handy stocking up. Like if you had people over, be a mild wine to share. Maybe the missus likes white
My missus is a funny one, she has absolutely no interest in knowing anything about wine as such but she knows a good one, so she makes the vast majority of the food and my job is to stick a decent bottle on the table!

I probably wouldn’t go for the ones you mentioned, only because the difference in cost isn’t huge to the likes of the Marques de Concordia if you buy it at the right time, but the jump in quality would be a good notch. I buy in bulk, when it hits the right price I’ll buy 2-3 cases so it’s sitting there for when I want it

SuperValu do a Portuguese red in boxes that’s cracking value, ill let you know if I spot it

My missus is a funny one, she has absolutely no interest in knowing anything about wine as such but she knows a good one, so she makes the vast majority of the food and my job is to stick a decent bottle on the table!

I probably wouldn’t go for the ones you mentioned, only because the difference in cost isn’t huge to the likes of the Marques de Concordia if you buy it at the right time, but the jump in quality would be a good notch. I buy in bulk, when it hits the right price I’ll buy 2-3 cases so it’s sitting there for when I want it

SuperValu do a Portuguese red in boxes that’s cracking value, ill let you know if I spot it
Nice one. I know nothing about wine which is unusual for a chef but I never worked front of house. You'd think I would have picked something up. All I know is the champers we put into sorbet etc

Nice one. I know nothing about wine which is unusual for a chef but I never worked front of house. You'd think I would have picked something up. All I know is the champers we put into sorbet etc
All good man, it always amazes me how many restaurants out there clearly have no one who is into wine buying it, so you get the same repetitive shite offered up for €25-40 a go when there is absolutely no excuse not to be able to supply something decent. Then every now and again you find a restaurant supplying good wine at a fair price and it makes the whole experience so much better for a small amount of effort on their part

Add the 10% discount for being a member and it works out around €11.50 a bottle. If anyone is aware of better rioja than that for this price I am all ears, great box to have hanging around at christmas.. very nice stuff

Any particular year?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Easter Beer Festival

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Tomorrow @ 1pm

More events ▼