The Official Irish Rugby Thread

I'd agree with you there. Get rid of the entire residency rule though, unless the person is a citizen. Otherwise, it's a nonsense. I loved Stander playing for Munster, but not for Ireland. He's gone back home. He'll be back here for the occasional jolly, and maybe to show his kids the country when they're old enough to appreciate it. That's about the extent of it.
Yeah, I mean the fact that Ireland deliberately industrialised the policy via the project player scheme is clever but lamentable.

Believe Aki has kids born in Ireland which I'd imagine will give him a permanent connection but I doubt even he, Lowe, Gibson-Park, etc actually have gone for full citizenship. Open to correction though.

Stander's daughter was born here too.
I wouldn't use citizenship as any barometer, I work with a lot of Saffers who have no problem getting British citizenship to make their life easier. Nothing to do with their love for the country and more than likely to head off back home too.

Having said that, I'd also have no issue if the residency rule was scrapped either.

Did Stander become an Irish citizen?
Joe Schmidt and Richardt Strauss both got citizenship some years back.

I can find comments relating to him planning to do it back in 2017 and his wiki page(grain of salt) says he is South African-Irish but can't see any reporting stating that he got it.

He was made an honorary Limerick man and city ambassador if that helps...
At the end of the day he spent 9 years and 156 games with Munster, don't begrudge him a return home.

Citizenship allows for some wiggle room where is a legitimate case for a foreign born player, for example, Adeolokun was born in Nigeria but moved here at 11, there should be a means for him to qualify for Ireland.

Wouldn't have any issue with residency laws being removed and just leave it as something like citizenship and the granny rule but until that time comes... play to the whistle

He was made an honorary Limerick man and city ambassador if that helps...
At the end of the day he spent 9 years and 156 games with Munster, don't begrudge him a return home.
That is the exact point. He was a great Munster player, who went back home to SA.

big win for leinster last night although Connacht not as bad as the scoreboard suggested

Thought Carty looked better than Harry Byrne

Some try from Hansen and he showed some great skills throughout the game bar one bad missed tackle on Sheehan who in fairness looked more like a winger than a hooker in scoring his try

big win for leinster last night although Connacht not as bad as the scoreboard suggested

Thought Carty looked better than Harry Byrne

Some try from Hansen and he showed some great skills throughout the game bar one bad missed tackle on Sheehan who in fairness looked more like a winger than a hooker in scoring his try
For once I wanted Leinster to win that game, whilst yes Connaughts style of play is admirable, I feel they are getting some what arrogant and as bad as Leinster are in that regard, I feel Connaught needed to put back in their place.

Great to see Jack McGrath back..he has had a tough time with injury. The guy was world class when playing for the lions in 2017. At 32 probably a bit too late for him to rediscover that form but he is the same age as Kilcoyne. Healy at 34 will hardly make the next world cup so maybe there is still a chance for McGrath to push kilcoyne for the bench spot in the next few years. Hopefully Josh Wycherley steps up in the next 12-18 months too

Ulster: Mike Lowry; Robert Baloucoune, Angus Curtis, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy; Billy Burns, John Cooney; Eric O'Sullivan, Brad Roberts, Tom O’Toole; Kieran Treadwell, Alan O’Connor (Capt.); Sean Reidy, Nick Timoney, David McCann

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Jack McGrath, Marty Moore, Mick Kearney, Marcus Rea, Nathan Doak, Stewart Moore, Craig Gilroy

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Io Capitano (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th Apr 2024 @ 8:05 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Fin Taylor

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼