Wuhan Wheeze

From September, I hope sarah is right

Reminder: “A change in the spike protein- which allows the coronavirus to enter and infect human cells- that is radical enough to make our vaccine completely ineffective would also, almost certainly, be so extreme as to make the virus non-functional.” -Sarah Gilbert, Oxford Team

In other words, the virus cannot completely mutate as there are only so many changes the spike protein can have before it compromises its functionality and therefore its ability to bind to the ACE2 receptor on the surface of our cells and evade our antibodies at the same time.

“There aren’t very many places for the virus to go to have something that will evade immunity but still be a really infectious virus,” and therefore is unlikely to mutate into a much deadlier variant. Gilbert stated that viruses tend to become less virulent over time as theyspread through a population which is becoming more immune. While some genetic drift IS to be expected, Gilbert, along with a lot of other scientists (myself included) agree that COVID-19 will eventually become like other seasonal coronaviruses which cause the common cold andrespiratory infections. You can read more here: https://t.co/Fbb8ftZYFi
I hope to god she’s right.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼