The Gaelic Football Thread

There are none so blind as those who don't wish to see. O M G

Frightening stuff but typical of so many administrators in the gaaaaa in particular. Limited intelligence, conservative by nature, sceptical of outsiders and new ideas…….dreadful stuff but replicated across so many county boards and in particular provincial councils which are bodies of zero requirement except jobs for the boys

skysports-gaa-proposal-a_5445719.jpg

skysports-gaa-proposal-b_5445721.jpg

https://www.skysports.com/gaa/gaeli...-proposals-ahead-of-the-gaas-special-congress

It seems ridiculous to me how 3rd in Div 2 and the div 3 and 4 winners get into the championship but 6th in Div 1 are out.
In the last few years that would have meant Mayo, Tyrone and Monaghan left out of the c'ship and Longford, Louth and Limerick in.

It would have meant the All-Ireland winners in 2012 and 2014 wouldn't even have qualified for that year's c'ship.

If you're in Div 1 your reward should be a guaranteed championship spot.

Maybe something like:
8 Div 1, 6 Div 2, 1 Div 3, 1 Div 4.

Then have some seeding in the last 16 to reward the higher placed Div 1 teams.
Top Div 1 v Div 4 winners (Div 4 team gets home advantage)
2nd Div 1 v Div 3 winners, etc.

Last edited:
GAA’s top two officials give their support to Option B ahead of special congress
President Larry Ryan and director general Tom Ryan give backing in personal capacities

It seems ridiculous to me how 3rd in Div 2 and the div 3 and 4 winners get into the championship but 6th in Div 1 are out.
In the last few years that would have meant Mayo, Tyrone and Monaghan left out of the c'ship and Longford, Louth and Limerick in.

It would have meant the All-Ireland winners in 2012 and 2014 wouldn't have qualified for the c'ship.

Maybe something like:

Can't argue with that Mallow. They will allow for for some tweaking and I'm sure your assessment will be addressed in time. No matter what plan is passed there will surely be gaps and hiccups that need sorting but your point is well made. My guess is their thinking is to make the leagues more competitive and give the small fish at least a tiny hope of improving.

6th in Div 1 would have lost 4 games to get into that position and deserves nothing .
What about the teams in Div 2 4-7th their season is over as they are not in the secondary competition,so only play 7 games in the year.

6th in Div 1 would have lost 4 games to get into that position and deserves nothing .
What about the teams in Div 2 4-7th their season is over as they are not in the secondary competition,so only play 7 games in the year.

6th in Division 1 will have beaten 1 or 2 high-calibre teams.
If you're in Div 4 you just need to beat London, Waterford, Wexford, Carlow, Sligo and Leitrim to get into the c'ship.
Still think 3rd and 4th division winners should be allowed in the c'ship, just on the fairytale that at the start of every year every team has a shot at winning the All-Ireland, but not at the expense of 6th in Div 1.

4th-7th in Div 2 will be very decent teams, probably one or more from Meath, Galway and Cork, none of who's players would have any interest in winning a Tailteann Cup. Anyway, I was suggesting top 6 in Div 2 also qualify.

It would have meant the All-Ireland winners in 2012 and 2014 wouldn't even have qualified for that year's c'ship.

Maybe something like:

You're reading it wrong though - the league IS the championship. So they haven't lost out on championship if they're not in top 5, they just haven't qualified for the quarters.

If you're in Division 1 and finished 6th then I'd argue you've had your shot at the best teams. I think 6/2/1/1 would be be a better split, but the principle is decent, similar to how the hurling works at present.

It will definitely need tweaking, but hard to know exactly what tweaking until it actually happens. I think a move back to the old Division 1 and 2 split into A and B would work better, with the top 7 in Division 1, while the Division 2 is basically the Tailten Cup where the winners can go into the Sam Maguire.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

6th Apr 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Tony Milner

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼