the wine thread

How does this kind of carry on work?

I mean; presumably you'd have to go with a van or a trailer and load it to the hilt to make the trip worth your while, would you?

Is Cherbourg a nice town?

Or is it like buying discounted flagons of Linden Village in Rosslare?

I take a car and generally bring about C 150 bottles (No prolems with customs as long as it is for personal consumption--a trailer or van full of wine might be problematic? ) save on average 10 Euro per bottle-so do the sums, anyhow it is an excuse for a trip to France and have a supply of good wine for the year.

Cherbourg is full of wine shops pitched at the Wine tourists particularly from the UK. However I would advise buying from the Supermarkets Carrefour or the massive Auchan on the outskirts of Cherbourg. They have a fantastic range of good wines at competitive price and frequently offers from particular Chateaus.

Cherbourg is not particularly interesting, has a naval museum with a decomissioned Nuclear Sub. However it can be a base for day trips to the D Day beaches and Bayeau. You can even do a day train trip to Paris for about 40 Euro return

I take a car and generally bring about C 150 bottles (No prolems with customs as long as it is for personal consumption--a trailer or van full of wine might be problematic? ) save on average 10 Euro per bottle-so do the sums, anyhow it is an excuse for a trip to France and have a supply of good wine for the year.

Cheers for that, Smally Bally.

Apparently the rule is 90 litres for personal consumption. That's about 120 bottles of wine. I pay, on average, between €20 and €30 per bottle here in The Wine Buff or Curious Wines for French reds - are we saying that I'd be saving a tenner per bottle on those prices too?

Had this Critéra Primitivo the other night. Very good but not nearly as good as the previously mentioned Roccamora from the same producer.

16809_1.png

Apparently the rule is 90 litres for personal consumption. That's about 120 bottles of wine. I pay, on average, between €20 and €30 per bottle here in The Wine Buff or Curious Wines for French reds - are we saying that I'd be saving a tenner per bottle on those prices too?

Well, France tends to be a little more expensive than Luxembourg although similar enough when it comes to French wine. If you're paying say 25 yo-yos a bottle in Ireland, I could see that working out at about a tenner cheaper alright.

Well, France tends to be a little more expensive than Luxembourg although similar enough when it comes to French wine. If you're paying say 25 yo-yos a bottle in Ireland, I could see that working out at about a tenner cheaper alright.

Cheers for that, Carmy.

I see a bottle of this in my near future;

flauzieres-Gigondas-Four-Danuga-500x500.png

I do like a nice Gigondas, had a quick flick onto their website.. check out the owner!
https://www.lemasdesflauzieres.com

Love that, proper wine 'farming' as it is in a lot of Italy as well. The photos of the area they have their vines is amazing, looks to be all grown on limestone there so you can expect something fairly dry

Yeah. I'm quite the fan of LMDF. Their Seguret is exceptional. And the Ventoux is not half bad either.

Paddy O'Flynn's place ! He's from Ballyhea. I remember when he opened his first place in Limerick. I nearly went into business with him to open a place to start a franchise.

Not as fancy as you lot but I tried 19 crimes, Australian red. Supervalu reduced from 15 to 10. I went to another Supervalu today though and they didn't stock it. It's a light flavoursome wine.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Ben Portsmouth - This Is Elvis

Cork Opera House, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼