Does anyone on here drive an Electric Vehicle??

Our fuel bill (cars) is a pain in the hole.

One car needs replacing (soon).

The Nissan leaf looks interesting as a 'second car' (the about county / town-er)

http://www.nissan.ie/vehicle/leaf

Just wondering about the practicalities of same? Or is it a bit early.

I see a growing amount of fast charging points out there. Which are free (I think?) at the moment.

B

If I was going to go the electric route I'd get a Tesla.

If I had to buy a car, I'd get a Bugatti

The Leaf is bloody expensive for what you get, you're unlikely to save much compared to a cheap small petrol car, which is what it is, in essence.

The resale value of them has to be a major concern too, depreciation is the biggest cost in any new cars and second hand electric cars have a problem.

You could get yourself a nicely specced Polo for a lot less without many of the drawbacks. Unlikely the cost difference would be made up in fuel costs, and certainly the resale value would hold up better.

I would have to agree with Prawn cheeses on this one. You could get something like an Alpha Mito twin air. 900cc, tax is nearly as low as an electric, runs off petrol fumes(70+ mpg IIRC) and none of the range anxiety. And that's not a small car by any means.

You could even buy a 1.2 fiesta for 30% less than the leaf, a far better car IMO.

The Enviromental argument to the leaf is a load of Bollocks. And I say that as one of those bearded left wing types. The electricity used to power the car, in Ireland at least, is probably generated by either Coal, Peat or heavy fuel oil. None of which are particularly noted as a green energy source.

Our fuel bill (cars) is a pain in the hole.

One car needs replacing (soon).

The Nissan leaf looks interesting as a 'second car' (the about county / town-er)

http://www.nissan.ie/vehicle/leaf

Just wondering about the practicalities of same? Or is it a bit early.

I see a growing amount of fast charging points out there. Which are free (I think?) at the moment.

B

A colleague here (UK) has one of them.
He seems to love it.

Not sure about the availability of charging points in Ireland Vs UK though.

He commutes in it, He has a rake of kids so has a big auld wagon for longer journeys.
I doubt he does more than 50 miles in any single journey, but if you have specific questions I can put them to him if you like B ?

Interesting thoughts:

VW UP! from 11945.00

VW POLO from 15595.00

Fuel bill on second car is 150 per month. Thought a 'leccy' would knock this out, and also, you'd probably use the car a tad more knowing it was 'free to drive'.

B

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Carsie Blanton
The White Horse, Ballincollig

13th Apr 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

THE TAN JACKETS

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11:50pm

More events ▼