Cyclists

Im not an expert but doesnt it say that that cyclists are allowed to cycle two abreast unless it is not safe to do so or if they are restricting traffic. Even if a single car comes up behind them then they are obliged (by law) to reorganise themselves into single file thus removing the restriction that they have created and allowing the faster traffic to proceed unhindered.
they are then free to resume the two abrest formation and continue their chat if they wish.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is nowhere in the rules of the road. It's merely seen as good manners by us Lycra clad accountant fatties to go into single file when it is safe for the car behind to pass. Not on the apex of a blind corner, like.

The only reason you gave is that you were 16 at the start of 6th year. I guess this means that you were also 16 during the second term of 5th year, thus disproving your own argument that you would have to wait until your LC year to be allowed cycle to school.

Anyway, I decided to compromise and say 15, just to throw you a bone, de mange.

I'm glad you agree that everyone should have a knowledge of the rules of the road. Do you think people who don't should be allowed on the roads?

I was just linking the age to something for a bit of perspective

I don't think there should be an age limit at all. Young kids will already be supervised by an adult unless their parents are utterly reckless. I see no issue with a 12 year old cycling to school alone for instance, or a 5 year old with their parent. The majority of the kids arrive to the primary school I live next to on bikes and it's fantastic that they can

I was wondering what might make them understand such a simple concept, a fine clearly doesn't

10 years hard labour would probably do it alright then

People are far too focused on cyclists. I drive and cycle every day and I would be far more concerned with what I witness from drivers because of the potential they have to kill others. It is massively unlikely that a cyclist will cause a death no matter what they are up to. Go get the stats, you're talking single digits for the whole of the UK in any one year

People who 'rage' about cyclists are so dull. Get a life fist shakers.

Admittedly, cyclists who cycle two abreast thinking they are in the Pyrenees on busy narrow roads or on dual carriageways in rush hour are stupid. Cyclists breaking lights in a city centre are generally harmless.
Ignoring red lights is not generally harmless, I've worked next to a university with 100's of bikes and I've lost count of the times I've been forced to brake or swerve to avoid them.

It's this 'it's harmless' attitude that's so inconsiderate of everyone else, including other cyclists and pedestrians

If you want to use the road, fine, I'm all for that there's room for everyone, but follow the rules like everyone else has to

They are there for a reason

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is nowhere in the rules of the road. It's merely seen as good manners by us Lycra clad accountant fatties to go into single file when it is safe for the car behind to pass. Not on the apex of a blind corner, like.

I didnt say it was in the rules of the road but the good behaviour guidlines on various irish cycling websites do instruct cyclists to give consideration to faster moving traffic. The "by law" bit was a bit of leap on my part.
I dont think that cyclists really should be thinking "should I let this car pas or not". Two abreast cyclists holding up a single car are dangerous.

I am wondering if there are any irish cases of cyclists being convicted (or even jailed) for dangerous behaviour on the road.

Why would I be joking?

That's what I witness on my commute to work.
Those who weave and skip lights are typically couriers, not regular commuters. I take the same route every day, and you'll always get 1 dickhead who ignores the lights and weaves through pedestrians and all that idiocy, but the vast, vast majority don't.

Plenty of others in this thread say the same.

Couriers? This is about the Cycle N@zis and their behaviour and how they're impacting on other road users in Cork. Douglas Road out beyond Western Road on PROC site shouldve been a bit of a hint.

This morning I witnessed 6 cyclists, 2 of whom were in high viz vests and helmets, one had neither but all three seemed to be obeying the rules of the road the bit I saw them. However I also witnessed 3, that's half in an admittedly small sample, cycling on the footpath.

Last night on my way home Douglas Street to High Street there was a beaut in his 50s I'd say. He had high viz vest and helmet but he undertook about 6 cars slowing for red light, he carried on through the red light for momentum to get him up High Street. When up at Zicos and traffic pulling off again this clown started overtaking traffic approaching the junction and it was impossible to know what he was doing until he carried straight on - and I mean STRAIGHT on up on the footpath by the Post Office opposite and he carried on cycling out Douglas Road on the footpath without a care in the world. This wasn't some youngster, this was a guy in his 50s!

If Bicycles had to have a registration plate the way motor-vehicles do to identify them and their drivers one suspects a lot of this cowboyism would be reduced.

...Jeeeesus,
I only thought the lift was a cool idea.
I didn't realise I'd be opening the whole can of "Motorists are wankers" .."No, Cyclists are wankers" thing again.

...Jeeeesus,
I only thought the lift was a cool idea.
I didn't realise I'd be opening the whole can of "Motorists are wankers" .."No, Cyclists are wankers" thing again.

Every time you mention the words cyclist or cycling, that can is opened.

Welcome to the PROC.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

The Longest Johns

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼