Training Run Times

Respect.
Maybe you're not such a tool after all :D
All I'll say is that your approach complicates what is essentially the first
form of exercise known to man and as such is something that should
come naturally.

exactly. good post.
the fact is that through modern foot wear and bad posture, we learn to run bad. if you look at the wat the kenyans run, from their center, and look at the way a child runs, its just the same. we have complicated the whole thing. your mans book kinda brings it back to basics, good read.

Respect there lads, some good stuff that I can identify with. Went to a "podologue" for the insoles and I must say the eating and drinking also seems to play a huge part. I drink too much wine to be a serious runner. Was thinking about trying to drop it for a month to see how much difference 'twould make. Coffee too. However I do run on roads and prefer that surface, some friends do forest tracks but the uneveness would do my head in. Don't have a heart rate monitor but have heard the 10% rule is important. I'm looking to do a modest 1.45 for the half marathon.

must be a middle age thing :)
I started running as well about 12 months ago.Started in the gym but moved outside for the summer.
Not going for any big distances but usually do about 5miles in a loop from Rochestown Inn down the railway line,through Blackrock village then back around the headland.Takes about 40 minutes.
I'm more in the gym again for the winter trying to improve my 5k time on the treadmill.Best I've done is 23 minutes but usually I'm around 23.20.

I started running as well about 12 months ago.Started in the gym but moved outside for the summer.
Not going for any big distances but usually do about 5miles in a loop from Rochestown Inn down the railway line,through Blackrock village then back around the headland.Takes about 40 minutes.
I'm more in the gym again for the winter trying to improve my 5k time on the treadmill.Best I've done is 23 minutes but usually I'm around 23.20.

That is better than me and im 20 years younger! I run about 5 K in 29 mins and can't seem to kick on from this (im running about 12 months now). I do
12K on the bike beforehand in 20 mins so i presume this has some kind of effect. Im finding what i am reading here fascinating - i find my workout on the weekends at 12 in the morning much more enjoyable and easier, whereas in the evening tis a real struggle and not particulalry enjoyable.

Tried running outdoors in the summer (mainly around The Lough) but i found this to be just an endurance test really and painful. Even though i would do more in the gym after a session out The Lough my legs would be killing me so i just went back to the gym.

That is better than me and im 20 years younger! I run about 5 K in 29 mins and can't seem to kick on from this (im running about 12 months now). I do
12K on the bike beforehand in 20 mins so i presume this has some kind of effect. Im finding what i am reading here fascinating - i find my workout on the weekends at 12 in the morning much more enjoyable and easier, whereas in the evening tis a real struggle and not particulalry enjoyable.

Tried running outdoors in the summer (mainly around The Lough) but i found this to be just an endurance test really and painful. Even though i would do more in the gym after a session out The Lough my legs would be killing me so i just went back to the gym.

Here's another tip - if you're running on a treadmill raise the elevation by maybe 10% so you are running uphill slightly.
You'll find less stress on the legs believe it or not.

Here's another tip - if you're running on a treadmill raise the elevation by maybe 10% so you are running uphill slightly.
You'll find less stress on the legs believe it or not.

I find running on the threadmill fine in terms of stress - i just couldn't take the concrete at all. I find what is killing me is the fact i've to start off so slowly - generally i start off at 8.5 and work my way gradually to about 11.0 by 16 mins and then i kick on another bit after that too. Strangely i can't seem to start off around even the 10.0/11.0 mark as after 5 mins i'll be a gone yet i'll have have only done a km or so in that time.

I find running on the threadmill fine in terms of stress - i just couldn't take the concrete at all. I find what is killing me is the fact i've to start off so slowly - generally i start off at 8.5 and work my way gradually to about 11.0 by 16 mins and then i kick on another bit after that too. Strangely i can't seem to start off around even the 10.0/11.0 mark as after 5 mins i'll be a gone yet i'll have have only done a km or so in that time.

I usually walk at around 7.2 for 5 minutes to warm up.
Then start running at 12.8 and depending on how I'm feeling increase to about 13.4 over about 20 minutes then up to 15.5 for the last couple of hundred metres.
I normally run first and then do bike/cross trainer or rowing machine after.
The boredom factor kicks in on the treadmill after 5k,I get sick of looking at myself in a mirror.

I usually walk at around 7.2 for 5 minutes to warm up.
Then start running at 12.8 and depending on how I'm feeling increase to about 13.4 over about 20 minutes then up to 15.5 for the last couple of hundred metres.
I normally run first and then do bike/cross trainer or rowing machine after.
The boredom factor kicks in on the treadmill after 5k,I get sick of looking at myself in a mirror.

Jesus that is mighty stuff - how do you make sudden jump from 7.2 to 12.8?? I can't seem to do sudden jumps - i literally jump .1 every 35 secs or so and work my way up and eventually i am at about 12.5/13.0 but only for 3/4 mins at the end. I do a pretty hefty bike ride beforehand but i am too sure that has much effect on my running. I think some people are just naturally fitter than others.

Jesus that is mighty stuff - how do you make sudden jump from 7.2 to 12.8?? I can't seem to do sudden jumps - i literally jump .1 every 35 secs or so and work my way up and eventually i am at about 12.5/13.0 but only for 3/4 mins at the end. I do a pretty hefty bike ride beforehand but i am too sure that has much effect on my running. I think some people are just naturally fitter than others.

12.8 to 13 just seems to be a comfortable pace for me but 5k also seems to be the right distance for me on a treadmill anyway.
Maybe try doing shorter distances, 2 or 3k for a while and build up your speed at these.

i probly know you to see, i haverun the old lind complex twica a week for the last year or so.
i usually go from the black bridge, down the ramp, round the headlands and village, up past the pairc and tip the gates of the rowing club, then back. thats exactly 10 miles acording to the google maps, and to make sure my buddy did it with the pushbike speedo.

if i feel good i might throw in the oldline , and once in 3 weeks il double up for a 20. its the best running in cork, and after a while you get to know a lot of people on the route. the nods of encougagment are always nice to get if your going long.

some other lunatic on beginners triathlete . com has logged this route as well as many more in the city aswell.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Polly Barrett
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

8th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼