Training Run Times

Carmona

Does anyone else find huge differences in their performance/feeling depending on what time they go for a run? If I go out before 5 or 6 in the evening, I feel fairly crap. At that time or after I feel fine. Weird or understandable? Just done 9 or so Kms there and enjoyed it, though 'twas cold and dark and a hilly route. Last Wed at 3 did a similar distance, less hilly and felt I needed a lift after 5 minutes. The half marathon I'm aiming for starts at 18.00!!!

Half-marathon at 6pm?!?!...That's gonna suck to be honest. I've noticed myself that I don't enjoy my training runs in the evenings as much as I enjoy my runs on a Saturday morning or lunchtime. Of course, I am doing all of my midweek training runs on the treadmill, so that could lend to my impending sense of doom.

What training program are you doing? I only took up running about a month ago. My buddies were going to Miami for the ING marathon, and I had always wanted to go to Miami, so I foolhardedly said I would do the Half with them. Even though I had never done endurance running before, I decided to do a program call the F.I.R.S.T. program. It comes from the Furman Institute of Running, or some such, you can find it on Runner's World. I'm enjoying it because if only calls for 3 mandatory running days: long, tempo, and speed. I'm allowed do crosstraining 2 other days. Currently, I am only doing 1 day of crosstraining, and I'm counting the hurling training session I go to on Sundays. I've gotten a completely new lease on life there. Not doing too bad for 35 years of age. Good luck on your half-marathon!!! Keep me posted. In addition to the Miami half, I am thinking of the doing the Atlanta Half in March, and the Bay Run from Bantry to Glengariff in May.

I should add that I have already become an evangelist for running in under a month. I've had runner's high pretty much after every run so far...

I wouldn't say I'm doing any programme as such. Started back running this time last year after a break of 20 years or more. Did an 11 km team run in May but this time want to go up to 21 kms. Have no great ambition to do marathon itself at my age. A few months ago I had a problem with a hip which special insoles seem to have cured.

I go out 3 or 4 times a week. At the moment my "long" run is ten km and I hope to get that up to about 18 before I attempt the half marathon. I've lost about 8 kilos and am feeling a lot fitter. The runs can be tough some days but I have no problem motivating myself to go out, which I think is a good sign. Good luck with your own plans there, keep us posted.

I've been running properly since may but had a few jogs here and there for a while before. I did my first half marathon in august, not too fast but had just come back from injury so not much training. I'm hoping to smash my PBs in 5k, 10k, and Half and also to run a Marathon for the first time - might aim for around 3.5 hours

Def. agree its easier to get into training in the evening. I find training in the morning/aft really tedious. You get achance to warm up as the day goes on IMO.

i train in another discipline and find that what and when i eat has a massive impact on the intensity of my training, i also find that coffee has a bad impact on my training, i think it makes me dehydrated or somefin,

maybe you need to eat lunch earlier, or have something 30 mins or an hour before the run, bannana, a yoke or a shake?

I also find that a nap for 30 mins max about an hour before training is brilliant, it doesnt make me any good at it but i fell better about getting beat all the time

i train in another discipline and find that what and when i eat has a massive impact on the intensity of my training, i also find that coffee has a bad impact on my training, i think it makes me dehydrated or somefin,

maybe you need to eat lunch earlier, or have something 30 mins or an hour before the run, bannana, a yoke or a shake?

I also find that a nap for 30 mins max about an hour before training is brilliant, it doesnt make me any good at it but i fell better about getting beat all the time

u sure its the coffee dehydratin u ?!!!!!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼