Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 19-04-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philby View Post
I think you're being a little harsh there. While Chelsea have the quality to cut loose and should play a more attractive brand of football they still have some very highly-skilled players who do perform moments of magic within Jose's rigid system...J Cole, Robben, Ballack spring to mind.
a) There's not one of the "technical" players you mention in the same class as Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney, Fabregas, Alonso, Gerrard, Henry.

b) He never plays more than one of those at a time anyway. I'm sure if he started with a front five of Shevchenko, Kalou, Robben, SWP and Cole, Chelsea could be very easy on the eye. But he doesn't and would never. Well, I say never, in fairness, he might chance it against Utd in May if he needed to win by 5 or 6 goals but otherwise the man is an incredibly negative, by the numbers manager whose style appeals to similarly game but rather limited players like Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Bridge etc.
Old 20-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolaKubes View Post
a) There's not one of the "technical" players you mention in the same class as Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney, Fabregas, Alonso, Gerrard, Henry.
While Ballack hasn't lived up to the hype in his first season at Chelsea you can't ignore his proven track record in Germany, in Champions League football and in international football. Ballack is a class act but perhaps, like Sheva, he's not being used to his full potential at Chelsea.

Prior to this season I'd have taken Robben over C. Ronaldo every time. Far more direct & better end product. To be fair Ronaldo has pushed on to another level and Robben has again been cursed by injuries. That said a fully-fit Robben is a very dangerous player & one not to be underrated.

Purely looking at tricks & skills Joe Cole is as good as anyone English football has produced in quite a while..under Mourinho he has added more control, aggression and end product to his game..he has become a genuinely well-rounded player at Chelsea and while not being quite at the level of those above, is a very capable player.

Quote:
b) He never plays more than one of those at a time anyway. I'm sure if he started with a front five of Shevchenko, Kalou, Robben, SWP and Cole, Chelsea could be very easy on the eye. But he doesn't and would never. Well, I say never, in fairness, he might chance it against Utd in May if he needed to win by 5 or 6 goals but otherwise the man is an incredibly negative, by the numbers manager whose style appeals to similarly game but rather limited players like Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Bridge etc.
I think you'll struggle to find a manager in world football who wouldn't be able to find a place for "game but rather limited" players like Drogba & Terry to be honest. Neither are endowed with overly silky skills but both are very effective players with winning mentalities.
Old 20-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I think you'll struggle to find a manager in world football who wouldn't be able to find a place for "game but rather limited" players like Drogba & Terry to be honest. Neither are endowed with overly silky skills but both are very effective players with winning mentalities.
Different strokes for different folks I guess, if I wanted to watch talentless mullackers but with great heart, I'd watch rugby.

I rather see their numbers kept to a minimum in football. (or hurling for that matter).

The only player Utd have in that mould is Heinze and we're all converted to Patrice Evra at this stage. Heinze looks laughably out of place alongside his teammates at time, so poor is his technique.

Hey, maybe ye'd be interested?
Old 20-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks I guess, if I wanted to watch talentless mullackers but with great heart, I'd watch rugby.

I rather see their numbers kept to a minimum in football. (or hurling for that matter).

The only player Utd have in that mould is Heinze and we're all converted to Patrice Evra at this stage. Heinze looks laughably out of place alongside his teammates at time, so poor is his technique.

Hey, maybe ye'd be interested?
You're going to get torn apart for this post.

I just have no interest in doing it.
Old 20-04-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound View Post
You're going to get torn apart for this post.

I just have no interest in doing it.
Did you not read the memo?

Man Utd = uber-attacking, ridiculously skilfull saviours of modern football

Liverpool & Chelsea = dour, ultra-defensive, mullackers on a crusade to ruin football

No desertion from the party line will be tolerated on this.
Old 20-04-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Did you not read the memo?

Man Utd = uber-attacking, ridiculously skilfull saviours of modern football

Liverpool & Chelsea = dour, ultra-defensive, mullackers on a crusade to ruin football

No desertion from the party line will be tolerated on this.
There is hope for ye yet lads.
Old 20-04-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
There is hope for ye yet lads.
Dont make me go digging for various glowing posts about the great Heinze who has now turned into a mullacker apparently.
Old 20-04-2007, 04:43 PM

Kenyon's just come out and said that there's no chance of Jose being sacked in the summer.
Old 20-04-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
Kenyon's just come out and said that there's no chance of Jose being sacked in the summer.
Good. Now we can get on with the serious business of winning the quadruple.
Old 20-04-2007, 09:57 PM

£150m to get Rom to moon

April 20, 2007

Scouting Mission?

BILLIONAIRE Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich plans to buy a holiday to the MOON.

The 500,000-mile week-long trip on the Soyuz spacecraft could cost a staggering £150MILLION.
But retired Russian cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov, 72, said money isn’t an issue for the 40-year-old tycoon — who is worth £11billion
He said: “I talked to him about it. He wants it very much. I’m sure he’ll go.”