Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 30-11-2006, 08:40 PM

Default celtic

lets spark an honest debate here. who is with me on this one, Celtic are complete and other shite, fair enough they have the irish connection, but lets be honest its like watchin a bunch of 11 headless chickens running around the field. now no doubt ill have someone come on and say, but they beat united ya so did southend, does that mean there better?? yes they have plenty of heart and paly with pride!!! but isnt that the same as what you here palyin aul soccer? give ur all and play with pride? feck off im sick of hearing it. football wise celtic do not cut at the top level simple as..
Old 30-11-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbim3
lets spark an honest debate here. who is with me on this one, Celtic are complete and other shite, fair enough they have the irish connection, but lets be honest its like watchin a bunch of 11 headless chickens running around the field. now no doubt ill have someone come on and say, but they beat united ya so did southend, does that mean there better?? yes they have plenty of heart and paly with pride!!! but isnt that the same as what you here palyin aul soccer? give ur all and play with pride? feck off im sick of hearing it. football wise celtic do not cut at the top level simple as..
They'd be in the top half in the Premier League and with the money they could then turnover based in England instead of Scotland they could easily become a top European side. Celtic has history, tradition and a huge fan base. There is only a certain standard of player you can expect to attract to a small league like Scotland and the team can only beat what is put in front of them. Also, you criticize them for playing with heart but I find it refreshing to see players break their asses to try to win a game once in a while. I'm sure the supporters of a lot of other clubs wish their players would give so much as often.
Also it’s stupid to say they aren’t a good side given what they have done domestically and in the Champions League this year. While guys like Telfer should never be playing for a top team you could say the same for many players at many similar clubs. Lots of guys have moved on from Celtic and done very well at a higher level. Look at Larsson, Viduka, Van Hojdonk (spelling) and Di Canio to name but a few. Also, Petrov has looked well above average in the Premier League this season. I don’t know why I’m even writing all this though. You’re just WUMMING imho. Oh and no I'm not a Celtic fan at all really. I'd like to see them win but I wouldn't consider myself a supporter.-AmadeusDC-
Old 30-11-2006, 09:15 PM

Don't feed the WUM Amadeus!
Old 30-11-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmadeusDC
They'd be in the top half in the Premier League and with the money they could then turnover based in England instead of Scotland they could easily become a top European side. -
yes probably would cut in the first season. why? beacuse each game would be like a cup game. following few seasons mid table at best, but down the road they'd probably attract big names but thats all hypo.. there never gettin in the EPL for the foreseeable future. but back to the current point, now lets be honest larson is a great player, in the scottish league a bit part player for barca.. all celtic do is attract has beens. and yes id love my team to have heart bla bla bla put i want to watch gifted players not headless chickens hoofin the ball around, if people would just admit there an average side and quit harpin on about there good ill get over it.
Old 30-11-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afeencalleddan
Ya, I was half way through writing it before I even realized I was helping a WUM. I stand by what I said though and as we've seen on here a few times before attempted WUM's can lead to interesting discussions. Remember the Langers Forum invasion of here? -AmadeusDC-
Old 30-11-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbim3
yes probably would cut in the first season. why? beacuse each game would be like a cup game. following few seasons mid table at best, but down the road they'd probably attract big names but thats all hypo.. there never gettin in the EPL for the foreseeable future. but back to the current point, now lets be honest larson is a great player, in the scottish league a bit part player for barca.. all celtic do is attract has beens. and yes id love my team to have heart bla bla bla put i want to watch gifted players not headless chickens hoofin the ball around, if people would just admit there an average side and quit harpin on about there good ill get over it.
but what about this..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
Barcelona, for all their fame, were desperate before Henrik Larsson was brought on to restore strategic intelligence to the attack.
The 34-year-old now leaves the club and returns to his native Sweden glowing with the culmination of his career. Larsson's glance set up an equaliser from Samuel Eto'o in the 76th minute and the scorer benefited from a horribly tight off-side decision. Larsson provided the winner four minutes later. A wonderful reverse pass from the right picked out his fellow substitute Juliano Belletti, who pounded through to smite a winner that flew through the legs of Manuel Almunia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia Article
In his final game for Barcelona, he won his first UEFA Champions League medal. Larsson came on as a substitute and assisted both of Barcelona's goals in a 2-1 win over Arsenal FC. Thierry Henry paid tribute to Larsson's contribution to Barcelona's win after the game, saying "People always talk about Ronaldinho, and everything but I didn't see him today - I saw Henrik Larsson. Two times he came on - he changed the game, that is what killed the game - sometimes you talk about Ronaldinho and Eto'o and people like that, you need to talk about the proper footballer who made the difference and that was Henrik Larsson tonight..."[4] Indeed his ability to give Barcelona the cutting edge required to overcome Arsenal was noted by the international press: [5][6]

The New York Times

It was created with a flick of Henrik Larsson's right foot, a moment born of experience and craft. Larsson has said he is retiring from this level of soccer after this game. He had only just come on the field as a replacement but he knew exactly what he was doing. He has vision. He is 34 and he has been in the game for the whole of his adult life and what he could do once he could repeat another four minutes and Larsson again showed the ability to find the pass that destroys defenses. This time he spotted Juliano Belletti, another replacement, who with almost his first touch of the night powered the ball inside the near post of Arsenal's replacement goalkeeper, Manuel Almunia

The Glasgow Herald

However, Larsson, a free transfer among an array of multi-million pound talent, was undoubtedly the difference between the sides. He set up the equalising goal with a delicate sidefooted pass to Samuel Eto'o, who took two touches before dinking the ball past Manuel Almunia.. Rijkaard hailed Larsson's role in the victory but said there was no chance of the Swede staying at Camp Nou for one more season. Larsson signed for Barcelona from Celtic in July, 2004. "He is a wonderful player, and a very important player for us," said Rijkaard later. "He is always ready and prepared to come on and really help the team when we need him. "We spoke to Henrik [about staying at Barcelona] but he has made his decision. He says now is the right time for him to go back home to Sweden." Larsson, as ever, displayed his usual humility afterwards and preferred to concentrate on the effort shown by his team-mates. "It was a tough match and the whole team deserve credit for the win," he said. "It was an unbelievable way for me to finish my career at Barcelona. I have had a fantastic experience here in my two years, with two league titles and now this. It's amazing.".

Larsson's international record is impressive with 36 goals in 93 games, many of which he played in midfield or as a winger. He has always made his mark on big occasions and has scored at three World Cups (1994 at which Sweden came 3rd, 2002 and 2006), and two European Championships (2000 and 2004).

Did it when it most mattered at the highest possible level. He also had 2 in the UEFA Cup final a few years earlier.

The exit is over there............clo se the door behind you on the way out. Good night. -AmadeusDC-
Old 30-11-2006, 09:29 PM

Lads stating an opinion, if u dont want to reply and challenge why u think there good dont respond, simple as
Old 30-11-2006, 09:33 PM

Where's Punctuation Man when you want him?
Old 30-11-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmadeusDC
but what about this..............

Did it when it most mattered at the highest possible level. He also had 2 in the UEFA Cup final a few years earlier.

-AmadeusDC-
eh uefa cup highest level?? come on now in fairness
what has he done at the highest level??? champions league? he was sub for most of the campaign bar, what he won with celtic absolute feck all. dutch cup with feyenoord and 3rd with sweeden 94. celtic isnt a high level of football people
Old 30-11-2006, 09:42 PM

no one can deny larsson a was great player for celtic, he was never world class simple as.. lets get back to the point which is celtic