tempobet Instagram Profiles
Loosen up you - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Arts & Culture
User Name
Password

Old 06-05-2006, 02:12 AM

Default Loosen up you

Serious question, Cork folks:

What's the Cork for "loosen up" "take it easy" "give me a fucking break" etc?

I'm asking for a friend who is a novelist and doesn't want people to know that.

Best, Sgriob
Old 06-05-2006, 04:51 PM

Sure tell him just put 'like' at the end of it and it'll be Cork.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks.

Here's the dialogue. Any suggestions for making it more "Cork"? It's for American readers, so not too broad, like. Expletives welcome.

“How the f**k do I know?”

“I’m just asking, like,” came Colm's truculent whine. “He won’t like the house being burned down and all.”

The Gowl spat something onto the cobblestones and growled, “Shut yer hole, will ye? He won’t like it if ye let the perpy-f**king-traiter get away either.”

“What happened to yer foot?”

“Mind yer own f**king business. I’m going in the house. You stay up here. Now, what was it I told ye?”

“Aye. I know. Loosen up, will ya?”

“Don’t f**k with me Colm. Don’t f**king kill this bastard, or you’re f**king next. I’m not kidding.”
Old 06-05-2006, 05:41 PM

It wouldn't be..."Aye I know", no one in Cork would say "Aye" ................it would be more like......"I heard ya the first time.....take a f**king chill pill, will ya..........I'm not gonna go nowhere"

Add, boy or gurl....to the end of some sentences and as transa said "like" to the rest.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM

Excellent. Thanks. My only experience of the Irish is Protestant Northerners. Glad I found you folks.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:44 PM

I'm presuming on your patience I know, but there's one more:

Would anyone in Cork ever say "It's a quare world, so it is." Or is that just something we got from Darby O'Gill and the Little People? How would a philisophically-inclined Corkman express the strangeness of life?

Thanks. Sgriob
Old 06-05-2006, 06:53 PM

Jaysus.....american movie makers have made us Irish out to be right gobshites..........
Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 PM

So it's up to you to put us straight, don't ya think?

As it happens it's only the gobshites in the book who talk like gobshites. Plenty of articulate, educated Irishmen in it too. You wouldn't like it if the gobshites talked like university professors, would you?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:11 PM

Just making an observation...sounds like I insulted you.......didnt mean to........am wondering what we say that resembles "its a quare world".I suppose off the top of my head something like.........."What the f**k is it all about".............B ut ya have to admit those "Irish" 60's and 70's films make us resemble bogtrotters and leprecauns who dance at the crossroads....if we tried to dance at crossroads today......we'd be run over by boyracers
Old 07-05-2006, 04:11 PM

Smile

Sorry Offdewall. I wasn't sure if you were insulting me so I got a little preemptive. I post on a Scots site where the insults fly thick and fast, so I got ready for a fight by starting one. No real offence intended.

The American view of the Irish is fantasmagorical but affectionate all the same. Many Americans are enormously proud of their Irish heritage. The Irish in America did an amazing thing, which was to go from despised immigrants to to the height of respectablility and admiration in less than a century. I think this was accomplished by humour. The Irish took the piss out of themselves and embraced the 'thick mick boozin fighting roarin boyo' stereotype in songs and on the stage. They reveled in the stereotype because they knew in their hearts that the joke was really on the non Irish American who believed it. Hard to imagine that happening in our PC times.

I got all this from a terrific study by Prof William Williams "Twas Only an Irishman's Dream" which explores the evolution of "Irishness" in America.

I have a number of American friends who are deeply in love with all things Irish. They truly weep to "Danny Boy." The blood is strong right enough. It's a touching thing to see.

Thanks for the help with the dialogue.

Which reminds me: I'm still not sure about the use of the word "quare" in Southern Ireland. Can you give me a couple of sentences in which it would be used correctly? Best and thanks. S