Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-02-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Chelsea Stars Condemn Messi

SkySports.com

Chelsea stars Eidur Gudjohnsen and Frank Lampard were united in condemning referee Terje Hauge for sending off Asier Del Horno in the UEFA Champions League defeat to Barcelona.

The Premiership leaders were beaten 2-1 by the Catalan club after losing the services of their Spanish full back for a clumsy foul on Lionel Messi in the first half.

Midfield duo Gudjohnsen and Lampard were disappointed that the red card was produced for the challenge.

"For me, it's just a foul," Icelandic ace Gudjohnsen, who was extremely impressive in a midfield role, told Sky Sports. "They clash basically.

"Messi makes a meal of it and the referee buckles under pressure."

Lampard felt similarly about the incident and stressed any malice would have been out of character for the defender.

"I haven't seen Del Horno do any crazy tackles or anything since he's been here," said the England midfielder.

"I don't expect him to start in such a big game."
Old 23-02-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tom
SkySports.com

"Messi makes a meal of it and the referee buckles under pressure."
I'd say that Del Horno fucked up, made a meal of it pretending he was also injured and that made up the ref's mind.
Old 23-02-2006, 06:16 PM

Exactly.
Pot Kettle Black.
Where was their condemnation on Robben?
Old 23-02-2006, 06:40 PM

Don't forget the other challenge on Messi (I think that was Del Horno too) where Messi got hit with studs just above the knee. That tackle went totally unpunished. My guess is that the Chelsea players were under instructions to rough Messi up a bit and it's just gamesmanship of the highest order now that the Chelsea camp are now coming out and complaining about the "antics" of the Barcelona players. They're obviously trying to stir things up for the second leg.
Old 23-02-2006, 07:02 PM

I hope the little legend scores 7 against them.
Old 23-02-2006, 07:07 PM

I think that's justice done for what Robben did against us a few weeks ago

Funny how things have a way of coming back and biting you on the arse isn't it!

If you are in a band or a musician and are looking for gigs the please email me at: paul@showcasecork.co m
Old 23-02-2006, 07:14 PM

Eidur should keep his selfrighteous views to himself considering his antics in last year's competition

Old 23-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

I dont often agree with Brady, but he called it right last night.
Mourinho's comments after the match were "pathetic", but thats him all over.

Fat Frank would be a lot better off concentrating on his non performance last night than Del Horno's waist high, four feet away from the ball lunge on Messi.

Cant take their beating, they should follow Barca's example and let their football do the talking.
Old 23-02-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philby
Eidur should keep his selfrighteous views to himself considering his antics in last year's competition

yeah and this win at all costs bullshit about Barca.
Sounds a bit like Chelsea to me.

Carvalho dragging the goalie down last season.

I'm losing a lot of respect for Mourinho.
I never liked his teams style but you had to respect his results.
No I'm finding him just annoying.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:23 PM

remember the 2003 uefa cup final, Deco et al diving at will, conning the ref into numerous terrible decisions!
remember United V porto in 2004, some of the most blatant diving by that young Bralizian fella,Carlos Alberto.
Robben V Liverpool.
Gudjonsen last season V Liverpool

Mourinho has never been upset when members of his team have blatantly been seen to dive and cheat,yet when Messi clearly gets clattered(ok,he did make the most of it),he's nominating him for an oscar.Hypocritical Jose