Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 06-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post

Setting fire to wheelie bins on Parnell St and having Republican nutters like Eirigi (Stand-up) having a sit down protest was just hilarious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocides View Post
In the interest of inclusion you might want to translate that for Gusty, Mad Duffs and Stacky - our loyalist brethren.

#wedeffoneednewshinn ers
Old 06-03-2018, 04:13 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Her last visit was a huge diplomatic success and even from a tourism point of view for Ireland and Cork phenomenal as well as a simple example to unionists "Well if her majesty like the Republic and has a nice time how bad can it be"? (Bitter Norn Iron accent)

To persuade people you firstly have to respect their traditions including head of state who over 1 million people are clearly loyal to and will probably remain loyal to post any Unification scenario.

However your negative attitude as well as Sinn Fein / Republicanism attitude only cements my view that unification is generations away if at all as this is Ireland where the dead hold back the living and the past strangles any future.

With the greatest respect I don't think you read my post correctly.
I do respect unionism. I respect the 12th. Ulster Scots. The fact unionists will need to retain passports. Possibly even find a way for them to pay tax into Westminster. But in the context of a 32 county republic with no tie to England.

Unionists looked at her visit as a confirmation that the union is safe because if no one complained and everyone was waving union jacks instead of protesting, then the feeling for unity in the south has dissipated to near nothingness. To be clear, I agree with you, it probably did wonders for the tourist industry, but not for unionists, rather for the English, Welsh and Scots who it will have encouraged to visit here.

In the last couple of weeks there have been 2 events which clearly show where the DUP and unionism see themselves. One was a meeting of the Orange Order in Scotland where Orangemen in the North were present and spoke about killing catholics. They had invited students to the meeting who were filming it. When they realised it, they prevented the students from leaving until they deleted the footage. The students had to call the police to be let out.

The other was a phone in to a radio show in Belfast where an orangeman came on and clearly said that he is a member of the Orange Order precisely because it is an organisation that hates Catholics and ensures they are kept in their place. (No I am not looking for a link).

Is this every unionist? No. My point is the reality of persuading unionism is not in allowing the Queen into the English market. It is about persuading them that the divisions of our history can be overcome by working together for a mutually respectful Ireland together. We already have an all island economy for food. We should have an all island economy on tourism, why there should be 2 tourist boards fascinates me. The border issue in Brexit is clearly showing that unionists on the border want to maintain their access to EU grants and cross border trade and their unionism can be persuaded with the right safeguards as described above.

I get the original point of the thread probably wasn't intended to be as serious as this and for that I apologise.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry_Mace_On View Post
Wel, well, well, isn't this a happy little Fenian daisy chain? One bastard comes in, another bastard comes in, then another.

You shitehawks are officially on notice: I am watching this thread.

Remember what I promised. I will root you out.
I am curious, are you including me?
Old 06-03-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
I am curious, are you including me?
Absolutely not. You're a cool head. These other lads, though. These are the cancers.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
I do respect unionism. I respect the 12th. Ulster Scots. The fact unionists will need to retain passports. Possibly even find a way for them to pay tax into Westminster. But in the context of a 32 county republic with no tie to England.

Unionists looked at her visit as a confirmation that the union is safe because if no one complained and everyone was waving union jacks instead of protesting, then the feeling for unity in the south has dissipated to near nothingness. To be clear, I agree with you, it probably did wonders for the tourist industry, but not for unionists, rather for the English, Welsh and Scots who it will have encouraged to visit here.

In the last couple of weeks there have been 2 events which clearly show where the DUP and unionism see themselves. One was a meeting of the Orange Order in Scotland where Orangemen in the North were present and spoke about killing catholics. They had invited students to the meeting who were filming it. When they realised it, they prevented the students from leaving until they deleted the footage. The students had to call the police to be let out.

The other was a phone in to a radio show in Belfast where an orangeman came on and clearly said that he is a member of the Orange Order precisely because it is an organisation that hates Catholics and ensures they are kept in their place. (No I am not looking for a link).

Is this every unionist? No. My point is the reality of persuading unionism is not in allowing the Queen into the English market. It is about persuading them that the divisions of our history can be overcome by working together for a mutually respectful Ireland together. We already have an all island economy for food. We should have an all island economy on tourism, why there should be 2 tourist boards fascinates me. The border issue in Brexit is clearly showing that unionists on the border want to maintain their access to EU grants and cross border trade and their unionism can be persuaded with the right safeguards as described above.

I get the original point of the thread probably wasn't intended to be as serious as this and for that I apologise.
I thought the tourism boards amalgamated a few years back? Certainly recall ads inviting tourists to Ireland, though of late there has been an amount extolling the virtues of places in the north such as Giants Causeway "only two hours up the road" - as though we all live in dumplin
Old 06-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry_Mace_On View Post
Absolutely not. You're a cool head. These other lads, though. These are the cancers.
Care to list who you see as "the cancers" Perry - and why?
Old 06-03-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:

This is the classic trap that Republicans and Unionists fall into every time and fall into on a daily basis.

Crakpots on both sides say and do distasteful things on the radio, with bread on head or in Scotland.

Are the loons setting the agenda?

Yes, as both sides think that this extremis is the norm and a friendly visit by a neighbouring head of state is somehow a problem.

Forever since 1690.

Which is why there is no hope really as both sides are happy with their mandate but do everything to avoid responsibility.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:21 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
I thought the tourism boards amalgamated a few years back? Certainly recall ads inviting tourists to Ireland, though of late there has been an amount extolling the virtues of places in the north such as Giants Causeway "only two hours up the road" - as though we all live in dumplin
Nope 2 tourist boards. Fáilte Ireland and DiscoverNorthernIrel and.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
This is the classic trap that Republicans and Unionists fall into every time and fall into on a daily basis.

Crakpots on both sides say and do distasteful things on the radio, with bread on head or in Scotland.

Are the loons setting the agenda?

Yes, as both sides think that this extremis is the norm and a friendly visit by a neighbouring head of state is somehow a problem.

Forever since 1690.

Which is why there is no hope really as both sides are happy with their mandate but do everything to avoid responsibility.
Quelle surprise Stacky pretending to be in the know and lumping both in together as though both are equal opposites in terms of acceptable behaviour and wanting to move on from the past. Nice attempt at peddling your agenda Stacky but folk who know what's going on and who're not led around by the nose by those using trite clichés know that not to be the case.

Must try harder!
Old 06-03-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Quelle surprise Stacky pretending to be in the know and lumping both in together as though both are equal opposites in terms of acceptable behaviour and wanting to move on from the past. Nice attempt at peddling your agenda Stacky but folk who know what's going on and who're not led around by the nose by those using trite clichés know that not to be the case.

Must try harder!
Hang on everybody.

Our broken Shinnerbot truly knows everything and all is well really.

We are truly focked.