Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 25-08-2010, 12:30 AM

Talking Can footballers REALLY hang in the air?

Tch, they should have come here, we dealt with this number AGES ago...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-the-influence

"Just finished watching Match of the Day and something struck me about one of the pundits comments," begins Pieter Nicholls. "Arsenal's Marouane Chamakh was described as 'hanging in the air' before heading a corner at goal. It's something that's often said of footballers, but is it actually possible?"

The Knowledge dropped one of its closest chums an email and, hey presto: "Once a player has jumped, in the absence of wings or any other means of generating a thrust, then the centre of gravity must be decelerating due to gravity at all times during the jump," explains Dr Tony Weidberg of St John's College. "The centre of gravity is initially going up, slows down and then starts coming down. So I have two possible explanations:
1) around the time in which the velocity of the centre of mass in the vertical direction goes through 0, the velocity will be very low. So there might be a short period of time in which the eye can not resolve any vertical motion.

2) The force of gravity only requires that the centre of mass is decelerating but if the player is also rotating, it would be possible for the centre of mass to be falling but the head might be held at constant height for a period of time. If the eye was focussing on the head, this would generate an illusion of the player floating.
I don't really know if either of these explanations is correct and it might all be just an illusion ..."

Best get a second opinion. Here's Alan Barr. lecturer in particle physics in the University of Oxford's department of physics. "Tony is quite right that (leaving rocket boosters, wings and wires aside) the centre of gravity of the player - loosely speaking the 'average' position of his or her body - has to continually accelerate downwards. Galileo and Newton told us that a long time ago, and that physics hasn't changed.

"But that necessarily doesn't mean that the floating has to be an illusion. If you watch the 'floating' player, you'll often find that towards the top of his jump he forces his arms and legs down hard. Why does he do this? The limbs are not used to hit the ball – but in fact as any coach will tell you, they are still very important in the action. If the player can make these 'extraneous' limbs move down fast, then the average position of his body will accelerate downwards (as demanded by friend Newton), while the important bits for the header – his trunk and head – hang in the air.

"So the arms and legs play an important role in moving the rest of the body during headers – as a bit of slow-mo replay will show. In fact the other noticeable movement of the arms – from "in front" of to 'behind' the player – is there for a similar reason. By pulling his arms backwards his trunk and head moves forwards, and his head hits the ball harder. If you go through the motions of a header yourself and you'll probably find that you naturally move your arms fast from an up-and-forward position to a down-and-backward one. Physics tells us why this makes sense, but to the average player it's just a natural movement."
Old 25-08-2010, 12:55 AM

oh jesus
Old 25-08-2010, 12:56 AM

oh noes
Old 25-08-2010, 02:11 AM

Location: 5 miles from the Rory Borry yellows (by kind permission)

They can and Justin Fashanu proved it.
Old 25-08-2010, 07:07 AM

Oh yes!
Old 25-08-2010, 08:20 AM

An Oxford particle physicist and an Oxford Don.

You just cannot buy that kind of validation.
Old 25-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Senior PROC Member

Teddy McCarthy could hang in the air in Both football and hurling!
Old 25-08-2010, 09:21 AM

The chat at Oxford

Old 25-08-2010, 09:23 AM

Nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquark View Post
Nope!
Holding in the air for a split seconed is a technique that not many can do...Van Basten,McGrath...... ..
As I said the goal was a master class of this technique.
Old 25-08-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquark View Post
Yes timing a jump is part of it..but it actaully is possible to hang in the air for that split seconed..there is a technique that many of the great players have mastered...but it is a detail of individual coaching and the persons ability to adopt this technique.