Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 08-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Senior PROC Member

...and he's certainly right to suggest that many of us are sick to death of the talk Class of 92 looking at them since retirement I don't see anything vaguely successful about them.

Unless you consider Beckham's grim celebrity a success going around begging for a Knighthood it almost rivals Scholes morphing from a quiet we mannie into a whinning moaning fucker with a mic in his hand like a dick on some touchline chuntering on...the Nevilles oh ffs...Butt who? and Giggsy is there anyone out there wants to see that cunt successful at anything? The Uber Rat in the pack.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Dismissing CR7 as a nothing player tells you all you all you need to know about that dinosaur.
Who is CR7

Oh Christian Ronaldo? Class player right enough. Hadn't heard Gilesy dismiss him tbh
Old 08-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Who is CR7

Oh Christian Ronaldo? Class player right enough. Hadn't heard Gilesy dismiss him tbh
I don't think he dismisses him, he just rates Messi a lot higher.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:51 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelbaggie View Post
God Almighty. So what if Atkinson played Regis and Moses? Does that mean Giles shouldn't get credit for spotting and signing them? I forgot about Derek Statham. Four future English internationals in a two-year spell as manager. That's some going for a club like West Brom. How many have they had since? Atkinson benefited hugely from Giles's groundwork just like Hand did and I don't recall him leaving jewels behind him at the club like Giles did. Enormous debts more like. How many Irish managers working in England have made a greater impact?

He managed Ireland from 1973 to 1981. It's incredibly unfair to say he didn't get the best out of those players particularly at the start of his term. He was a victim of his own success. While Liam Tuohy had done honourable work as manager it was under Giles that Irish football really lifted off and stopped being a joke. As a nation we expected too much and it was an ugly time on the terraces with good professionals like Mick Martin, Don Givens and Giles himself being booed and heckled, not to mention his family in the stands. That was the mob element I was talking about not the media which Giles never gave a toss about.

When the Shamrock Rovers dream imploded Giles was left with a part-time job which the FAI refused to make full-time. With six kids no wonder he walked when the dollars of Vancouver beckoned. Who wouldn't have yet this apparently is a hissy fit. I have no idea why the portrayal of Giles outside Dublin in particular is so bad. He always paddled his own canoe and fair play to him for that. Maybe as One says he outstayed his welcome as player, manager and pundit but I'd rather listen to him than the likes of Damien Duff any day.

Some incorrect information in your post Bag!
If things were so good at W.B.A. thern why did he leave?
In September 1980 Ireland came from behind to beat Holland 2-1 at Landsdowne Rd. in a W.C. qualifier. Eoin Hand was manager by then. Giles had walked earlier that year after criticism following our 3-2 victory in Cyprus.
All of Giles problems with th FAI didn't concern money. Firlstly, Giles wanted five "assistants". Two of them, Giles cronies Dunphy and Ray Treacy R.I.P., weren't acceptable to the FAI. Secondly, the FAI weren't happy that Giles was playing in the USA and they questioned his commitment to the Irish job.
He did outstay his time as a player but being the manager who could drop him? When we played Norn I. in September 1978 who was one of our c.cs. that day? Noel Synnott Shamrock Rovers ffs. Giles using the Irish international side to try and sell a Shamrock Rovers player. Conflict of interest?
As a pundit he was ok but with shite knowledge of the European game when you consider he had to comment on C.L. ties.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bushwacker View Post

In September 1980 Ireland came from behind to beat Holland 2-1 at Landsdowne Rd. in a W.C. qualifier. Eoin Hand was manager by then. Giles had walked earlier that year after criticism following our 3-2 victory in Cyprus.
All of Giles problems with th FAI didn't concern money. Firlstly, Giles wanted five "assistants". Two of them, Giles cronies Dunphy and Ray Treacy R.I.P., weren't acceptable to the FAI. Secondly, the FAI weren't happy that Giles was playing in the USA and they questioned his commitment to the Irish job.
He did outstay his time as a player but being the manager who could drop him? When we played Norn I. in September 1978 who was one of our c.cs. that day? Noel Synnott Shamrock Rovers ffs. Giles using the Irish international side to try and sell a Shamrock Rovers player. Conflict of interest?
As a pundit he was ok but with shite knowledge of the European game when you consider he had to comment on C.L. ties.
The FAI was a tinpot outfit back then, they used to pack the players onto cattle trucks to Poland for away matches. Ray Treacy would have at least known how to book flights etc.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppellanger View Post
The FAI was a tinpot outfit back then, they used to pack the players onto cattle trucks to Poland for away matches. Ray Treacy would have at least known how to book flights etc.
What's changed now?
Old 09-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppellanger View Post

Same under Big Jack & Mick really. Some things never changed!
Old 11-03-2018, 10:34 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bushwacker View Post

Ah here. Giles used to have a nice little sideline going as far as I recall rightly suing people for defaming him on issues such as the one you mention. He was always someone, not always rightly, who adopted a “the devil you know” kind of attitude to management. I remember him taking an over 30 Ray Treacy to Albion on a free transfer from the third division. The thing is Ray served his needs as he proved to be just as good at kicking people around in the first division. Might have scored against United too. Synott was the same. Ireland kept a clean sheet that day against NI remember and were down to the bare bones in terms of defenders. You’re entitled to your prejudices as much as I am (try opening an appreciation thread for Ron Atkinson to get me going) but it’s a bit much to be more or less accusing Giles of corruption. That was the kind of muck he was having to put up with from the mob element I mentioned in a previous post. To see it revisited 40 years later is bizarre. Given the jobs he could have had managing Ireland and the Shamrock Rovers venture cost him serious money.
You did ask why he left West Brom if things were so good there so you’ll have to put up with the answer. I never ever said things were good there by the way (they rarely are) just that he was terrific for The Baggies. Giles couldn’t stand West Brom’s chairman, a buffoon called Bert Millichip who eventually led the FA. After promotion Giles quit. Only a deputation of players convinced him to stay on and he did for a season on the proviso he didn’t have to attend any board meetings as far as I recall. Having cemented Albion’s position in the top flight he quit.
As a player he was peerless. Truly. It was never a case of “how did he do that?” but more “how did he see that?” As an Irishman abroad having had the pleasure of seeing him every second week for two years I can state that with absolute conviction and he was 35 or 36 at the time. Concerning Tommy Docherty’s ridiculous soundbite about him wanting to do everything including driving the bus well all I can say is there were 20,000 Albion supporters with me at matches willing the other Albion players to give him the ball.
To suggest as a pundit he didn’t have knowledge of as you call it the “European game” when he was an international manager and played in a team which at least competed in if not won UEFA (Fairs) Cup, Cup Winners and European Cup finals is incredible especially as I don’t for a second think you are one of the many here who believe football was invented by a random mix of Jack Charlton, Sky Sport and the class of 92. He didn’t know the nerdy stuff like players’ names but boy could he take the game in front of him apart. Sound Man’s brilliant take on the disservice done to him by Dunphy posted above (how reduced Dunphy as a pundit is without Giles’s presence by the way) rings true for me.
I don’t have Topic Grinder’s great talent for multitasking on various threads so I’ll be retreating back to the hurling threads now. We may have our flaws there but we generally appreciate our legends. Giles doesn’t need me to defend him.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Ah here. Giles used to have a nice little sideline going as far as I recall rightly suing people for defaming him on issues such as the one you mention. He was always someone, not always rightly, who adopted a “the devil you know” kind of attitude to management. I remember him taking an over 30 Ray Treacy to Albion on a free transfer from the third division. The thing is Ray served his needs as he proved to be just as good at kicking people around in the first division. Might have scored against United too. Synott was the same. Ireland kept a clean sheet that day against NI remember and were down to the bare bones in terms of defenders. You’re entitled to your prejudices as much as I am (try opening an appreciation thread for Ron Atkinson to get me going) but it’s a bit much to be more or less accusing Giles of corruption. That was the kind of muck he was having to put up with from the mob element I mentioned in a previous post. To see it revisited 40 years later is bizarre. Given the jobs he could have had managing Ireland and the Shamrock Rovers venture cost him serious money.
You did ask why he left West Brom if things were so good there so you’ll have to put up with the answer. I never ever said things were good there by the way (they rarely are) just that he was terrific for The Baggies. Giles couldn’t stand West Brom’s chairman, a buffoon called Bert Millichip who eventually led the FA. After promotion Giles quit. Only a deputation of players convinced him to stay on and he did for a season on the proviso he didn’t have to attend any board meetings as far as I recall. Having cemented Albion’s position in the top flight he quit.
As a player he was peerless. Truly. It was never a case of “how did he do that?” but more “how did he see that?” As an Irishman abroad having had the pleasure of seeing him every second week for two years I can state that with absolute conviction and he was 35 or 36 at the time. Concerning Tommy Docherty’s ridiculous soundbite about him wanting to do everything including driving the bus well all I can say is there were 20,000 Albion supporters with me at matches willing the other Albion players to give him the ball.
To suggest as a pundit he didn’t have knowledge of as you call it the “European game” when he was an international manager and played in a team which at least competed in if not won UEFA (Fairs) Cup, Cup Winners and European Cup finals is incredible especially as I don’t for a second think you are one of the many here who believe football was invented by a random mix of Jack Charlton, Sky Sport and the class of 92. He didn’t know the nerdy stuff like players’ names but boy could he take the game in front of him apart. Sound Man’s brilliant take on the disservice done to him by Dunphy posted above (how reduced Dunphy as a pundit is without Giles’s presence by the way) rings true for me.
I don’t have Topic Grinder’s great talent for multitasking on various threads so I’ll be retreating back to the hurling threads now. We may have our flaws there but we generally appreciate our legends. Giles doesn’t need me to defend him.
Please don't. Great post. Always nice to hear from informed people about eras I either can't remember or wasn't alive for.

You write well too.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:07 AM

Cool

Quote:

Show me where I accused Giles of anything. All I did was to ask a question.
I was at that N.I. game and Ireland had other defensive options. Only for a superb Pat Jennings Ireland would have won well that day. Liam Brady was shut out of the game by Man United's David McCreery.
Docherty's comment was spot on. Ireland had to do everything through Giles. The same error was repeated when he retired and the mantle was passed on to Brady. Ireland were too predictable, simple as.
Neither Giles nor Dunphy have sufficient in-depth knowledge of the European game to comment on C.L. games imo. Yeah, Giles played aginst European opposition but so have plenty of others who are shite TV pundits!

Last edited by Lee Bushwacker; 12-03-2018 at 06:12 PM..