Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 06-03-2018, 05:51 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelbaggie View Post
He wasn't too shabby, Lee. Took West Brom from bottom three in old Second Division to promotion and then seventh place in first season in top flight. Was a pioneer for black players when one was really needed, signing three who all became England internationals - Cunningham, Regis and Moses. Plans for Rovers were too ambitious but his efforts came at huge financial cost to himself and his efforts showed great loyalty to Irish football. Also unearthed the likes of Jim Beglin.
Was hounded out of Irish job by mob element after he had given us self respect. My first international as a fan was a four one defeat against mighty Austria. The crowd erupted when we scored a penalty. We were either three or four down at the time. Lost return game six nil. He was a mighty manager for us. Won coach of the year in North American league despite the fact NY Cosmos were cleaning up everything.Not a flawless record but he's perfectly entitled to be exasperated by prima donna spoofers.

Yes he did do well at West Brom. Nobody could argue with that.
He may have signed Regis and Moses but they made their first team debuts in 1978 under Ron Atkinson.
He wasn't "hounded out" of the Irish job. After we beat Cyprus 3-2 away in the first qualifiying game for España 82, giles was criticised by some sections of the media for our performance and style of play which wasn't great that night. Giles threw a hissy fit and walked. Eoin Hand then came in and through playing great attacking football was agonisingly close to getting us to Spain. Hand got the very best out of the players we had back then. Langan, Lawrenson,, O'Leary, Moran, Brady, Robinson and Stapleton to name a few. Had that side made España 82, the "put em under pressure" style adopted in 1990, wouldn't have made "Big Jack" the darling of Irish fans.
Giles didn't get the best out of the players at his disposal at the time. Hand did. Charlton is a topic for another thread.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:58 PM

Pass it to Johnny and then became pass it to Liam.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie View Post
Pass it to Johnny and then became pass it to Liam.

I remember Tommy Docherty was once assistant commentator for an Irish game and he said "I wouldn't be surprised if Giles drives the team bus".
Same thing could have applied to Brady after Giles retired.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Senior PROC Member

Giles was a phenomenonal player and did his shift in management.

That said the last 20 years of his punditry have been patchy at best.
Himself and Dunphy fail to do basic research on ties theyre covering.

His slots on off the ball just show him as an old geezer out of touch with the modern game
Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 PM
PROC Member

God Almighty. So what if Atkinson played Regis and Moses? Does that mean Giles shouldn't get credit for spotting and signing them? I forgot about Derek Statham. Four future English internationals in a two-year spell as manager. That's some going for a club like West Brom. How many have they had since? Atkinson benefited hugely from Giles's groundwork just like Hand did and I don't recall him leaving jewels behind him at the club like Giles did. Enormous debts more like. How many Irish managers working in England have made a greater impact?

He managed Ireland from 1973 to 1981. It's incredibly unfair to say he didn't get the best out of those players particularly at the start of his term. He was a victim of his own success. While Liam Tuohy had done honourable work as manager it was under Giles that Irish football really lifted off and stopped being a joke. As a nation we expected too much and it was an ugly time on the terraces with good professionals like Mick Martin, Don Givens and Giles himself being booed and heckled, not to mention his family in the stands. That was the mob element I was talking about not the media which Giles never gave a toss about.

When the Shamrock Rovers dream imploded Giles was left with a part-time job which the FAI refused to make full-time. With six kids no wonder he walked when the dollars of Vancouver beckoned. Who wouldn't have yet this apparently is a hissy fit. I have no idea why the portrayal of Giles outside Dublin in particular is so bad. He always paddled his own canoe and fair play to him for that. Maybe as One says he outstayed his welcome as player, manager and pundit but I'd rather listen to him than the likes of Damien Duff any day.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Senior PROC Member

For me Giles was one of THE best players this country ever produced. Small and no good in the air, but he had plenty of dig in the tackle and boy could he spot and give a pass.

You don't get many player managers in the International scene but I think JG did it for a while.

And I don't think he got the praise he deserved as a manager, or as a pundit tbh.

It didn't help Giles's cause that sycophant Dunphy was always in tow trying to be controversial. Giles would call a spade a spade - Dummy would say black was white in order to stir up some debate - who knows maybe RTE deliberately had him do that next to Giles.

Giles didn't care much about players reputations and it showed.

And while the ManU players from the class of whenever were great players they've not been much cop as managers
Old 07-03-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post

And while the ManU players from the class of whenever were great players they've not been much cop as managers
I'd say the era of ex players putting in the effort to forge decent career in management could be over. Back in the day, retiring players needed the income but not the case anymore. Even likes of Hoddle, Dalglish, Robson, Keegan, Bruce etc who did well out of the game were well off but not close to level of even average current day footballers. Lads retiring now have the mega money in the bank and can't be bothered with the graft and hassle involved in managing a team and the scrutiny and abuse that comes with it.
First bit of a setback and they'll do a Neville and chuck it in for few easy quid in the studio.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel CNC View Post
I'd say the era of ex players putting in the effort to forge decent career in management could be over. Back in the day, retiring players needed the income but not the case anymore. Even likes of Hoddle, Dalglish, Robson, Keegan, Bruce etc who did well out of the game were well off but not close to level of even average current day footballers. Lads retiring now have the mega money in the bank and can't be bothered with the graft and hassle involved in managing a team and the scrutiny and abuse that comes with it.
First bit of a setback and they'll do a Neville and chuck it in for few easy quid in the studio.

Pittance in comparison with what he makes outside the studio.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
For me Giles was one of THE best players this country ever produced. Small and no good in the air, but he had plenty of dig in the tackle and boy could he spot and give a pass.

You don't get many player managers in the International scene but I think JG did it for a while.

And I don't think he got the praise he deserved as a manager, or as a pundit tbh.

It didn't help Giles's cause that sycophant Dunphy was always in tow trying to be controversial. Giles would call a spade a spade - Dummy would say black was white in order to stir up some debate - who knows maybe RTE deliberately had him do that next to Giles.

Giles didn't care much about players reputations and it showed.

Dismissing CR7 as a nothing player tells you all you all you need to know about that dinosaur.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Dismissing CR7 as a nothing player tells you all you all you need to know about that dinosaur.
He was big enough to admit he was wrong about Ronaldo.