Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-02-2018, 01:13 AM

Right, I’m signed up. Bloods getting done this weekend and we’ll see where we are

I’d say I’d be grand if I’d never met RingYs ol lade
Old 10-02-2018, 01:38 AM

My blood sugars were a bit high the last time but I wasn't fasting. I worry about my liver and infections as well.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:56 AM

@OP

As a sports person all my life I realised a few months back that something wasn't right.

You just know it, if that makes any sense.

Drove to Galway Clinic and had all tests done in under 2 hours. Then parked in the Rad and had a lovely day in Galway town.

Costly. Results back in under 48 hours.

The way I see it is that if your life is worth 20% of your funeral costs then sure work away with trying to stay alive.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethelred View Post
@OP

As a sports person all my life I realised a few months back that something wasn't right.

You just know it, if that makes any sense.

Drove to Galway Clinic and had all tests done in under 2 hours. Then parked in the Rad and had a lovely day in Galway town.

Costly. Results back in under 48 hours.

The way I see it is that if your life is worth 20% of your funeral costs then sure work away with trying to stay alive.
Asked my GP once if he ever got one of these done. He said naw as they would find something wrong with him
Old 10-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
I asked my fella a few years back about these scans and MRI and he said if theres anything ontoward that it would show up on my bloods....
Bloods will pick up plenty and especially good on heart issues, diabetes, etc but won't cover everything on say range of cancers out there. You could have a bloody big tumour in the stomach or colon that won't be detected by blood marker tests.
The Hse offering free tests for bowel cancer to anyone over 60. Sadly, more and more in 40-60 age group developing this. Bloods will not pick up on it unless it has already spread.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:07 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel CNC View Post
Bloods will pick up plenty and especially good on heart issues, diabetes, etc but won't cover everything on say range of cancers out there. You could have a bloody big tumour in the stomach or colon that won't be detected by blood marker tests.
The Hse offering free tests for bowel cancer to anyone over 60. Sadly, more and more in 40-60 age group developing this. Bloods will not pick up on it unless it has already spread.
According to the Irish Cancer Societys page,the best ways to avoid cancer are to excercise,lower your weight,eat healthily,don't smoke and avoid alcohol.
They rank the types of cancer that kills as
1 Skin Cancer
2 prostate
3 Breast
4 Bowel
5 Lung
So to me 4 of those can be greatly reduced by yourself according to your lifestyle.I'd suggest that breast cancer will come regardless of your lifestyle.The others we can certainly reduce the risk of and in some cases are age related.Look tbh its a simple enough balance,excercise,ea t healthy and avoid drink and fags(don't smoke)as much as possible.If you go to your GP every 6 months then he'll know you and your body after a while.Cancer hits every family from time to time and sadly too early in all lives.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Senior PROC Member

Breast cancer has different causes but I know that alcohol and smoking are risk factors, likewise with bowel cancer. Stress must play a role too. You could also be plain unlucky I suppose.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:36 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
Breast cancer has different causes but I know that alcohol and smoking are risk factors, likewise with bowel cancer. Stress must play a role too. You could also be plain unlucky I suppose.
Ohhh without doubt.But in general terms,the risks can be greatly reduced by following the recomendations set out by the ICS.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel CNC View Post
The screening the HSE offer for bowel cancer is almost entirely useless in that it probably won’t pick up upper bowel stuff which is one of the really bad ones
Old 08-03-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
Right, I’m signed up. Bloods getting done this weekend and we’ll see where we are

I’d say I’d be grand if I’d never met RingYs ol lade
so.. all's grand m8s, nothing to report for my first MOT

even RingYs ol lade couldn't bring this unit down