Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Lostmeringtopaddypower Lostmeringtopaddypower is offline
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In the corner with a big lump of meat
Posts: 33,477
Default How important is the quality and origin of food to you?

Would you be a spendthrift regarding your expenditure on foodstuffs? Yet go out and buy a house for zillion euros or a car for €50K?

Would you buy a “normal” chicken for €8 or a free-range organic one for €25.

I’d say I’d spend about 5-6% of my disposable income on food.

Which is, by some standards, absolutely nothing.

I don’t purposely avoid organic stuff but my interest in it isn’t great either.
I make a point of buying free range/organic eggs.

I’ve seen some stuff recently regarding the food industry which, apart from being downright nasty and morally dubious, questions the quality of the food.

Would you spend more to give animals a better standard of life?
__________________
Cock a snook
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14-01-2008, 02:28 PM
steve sanders steve sanders is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: checkin' that tide level shit like a motherfucker
Posts: 23,238
Default

i would / do to an extent.

it's easy for me to say that though, as i can afford the extra in these cases. tv's jamie oliver recommends you buy the most expensive you can afford. if the demand for organic increases manyfold it will drive prices down.

i suppose his is fair enough advice. he's an annoying little fellow though in many ways.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14-01-2008, 02:30 PM
trasnanadtonnta trasnanadtonnta is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: in the mucky hole
Posts: 16,926
Default

I'm poor and I have no taste buds. I don't give a shit. That said, the animal cruelty thing has been weighing on my mind lately, so I may have to up my game a bit, as in, eat less meat so I can afford to be more picky about where it came from.
__________________
Back in a tracksuit.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14-01-2008, 02:33 PM
keanos dog keanos dog is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmeringtopaddypow er View Post
Would you be a spendthrift regarding your expenditure on foodstuffs? Yet go out and buy a house for zillion euros or a car for €50K?

Would you buy a “normal” chicken for €8 or a free-range organic one for €25.

I’d say I’d spend about 5-6% of my disposable income on food.

Which is, by some standards, absolutely nothing.

I don’t purposely avoid organic stuff but my interest in it isn’t great either.
I make a point of buying free range/organic eggs.

I’ve seen some stuff recently regarding the food industry which, apart from being downright nasty and morally dubious, questions the quality of the food.

Would you spend more to give animals a better standard of life?

organic meat is very expensive. free range is more accesible and i do buy sometimes. get organic fruit most of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14-01-2008, 02:34 PM
northmallexile northmallexile is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: As láthair. B'fhéidir go bhfuil sé tinn.
Posts: 12,367
Default

There was an interesting piece in the Observer yesterday about the social benefits of meat being available cheaply.

My disposable income isn't huge, but I tend to buy fair-trade when possible. I try to avoid really cheap meat, but I'd be lying if I said that I thought the meat currently residing in my freezer came from animals who had lived really fulfilling lives.

Being on a budget means I can't afford to buy the most expensive food every time I go grocery shopping. If its a choice between fair-trade (which helps people) and organic (which helps animals) then people have to be a priority.
__________________
'Twas plain that there was a want in her that Packy alone could not supply.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Downward Facing God Downward Facing God is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chiark Orbital
Posts: 2,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trasnanadtonnta View Post
I'm poor and I have no taste buds. I don't give a shit. That said, the animal cruelty thing has been weighing on my mind lately, so I may have to up my game a bit, as in, eat less meat so I can afford to be more picky about where it came from.
This is probably the key. Most of us eat much more meat than we really need too. Go for quality over quantity.
__________________
I'm a nWolf in Sheeple's clothes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Proinsias Proinsias is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,606
Default

In general, I buy for quality. Free range (and quite a bit of the time, by extension, organic) meat is a lot better and I would never buy the cheapest meat cause it's invariably crap.

Fruit and veg, well, I don't really care *that* much as long as it's fresh, but I'd uusally buy it from market stalls if I can, as it's cheaper, as good and keeps them places open.

I avoid pre-made food as much as I can as it's usually shite (and expensive), but sometimes, needs must.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Kimeartimmyboy Kimeartimmyboy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basra
Posts: 4,041
Default

never mind yer food.does the quality and origin of yer drugs bother ye?
as was pointed out in a paper a while back the same people who go out of their way buying fair trade type food then go out buying coke the same day which has much more dubious route to your table/counter/mirror/thumbnail/toilet seat
__________________
Cock Piss Prenderville
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Lostmeringtopaddypower Lostmeringtopaddypower is offline
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In the corner with a big lump of meat
Posts: 33,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeartimmyboy View Post
never mind yer food.does the quality and origin of yer drugs bother ye?
as was pointed out in a paper a while back the same people who go out of their way buying fair trade type food then go out buying coke the same day which has much more dubious route to your table/counter/mirror/thumbnail/toilet seat
Good point.
__________________
Cock a snook
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Lostmeringtopaddypower Lostmeringtopaddypower is offline
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In the corner with a big lump of meat
Posts: 33,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve sanders View Post
i would / do to an extent.

it's easy for me to say that though, as i can afford the extra in these cases. tv's jamie oliver recommends you buy the most expensive you can afford. if the demand for organic increases manyfold it will drive prices down.

i suppose his is fair enough advice. he's an annoying little fellow though in many ways.
He annoys me too, a little.
He's right about some stuff though.
And this is even more annoying.
__________________
Cock a snook
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.