Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Coogee Coogee is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,420
Default Munster Rugby Thread 2017/2018

Time for a new thread

Pro 14 officially announced today. Munster in a group with Connacht/Ospreys/Cardiff/Glasgow/Zebre/Cheetahs

They will play those 6 teams home and away and will play the seven teams in the other group once making 19 games and then they will also play the other two Irish Teams to maintain the local derby fixtures so a total of 21 games. The Scottish, Italian and South African teams will play each other 3 times to ensure everyone plays equal games. Top 6 into playoffs at end of season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40787727
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Happyhonkaman Happyhonkaman is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 17,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogee View Post
Time for a new thread

Pro 14 officially announced today. Munster in a group with Connacht/Ospreys/Cardiff/Glasgow/Zebre/Cheetahs

They will play those 6 teams home and away and will play the seven teams in the other group once making 19 games and then they will also play the other two Irish Teams to maintain the local derby fixtures so a total of 21 games. The Scottish, Italian and South African teams will play each other 3 times to ensure everyone plays equal games. Top 6 into playoffs at end of season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40787727
i thought Zebre are gone?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Coogee Coogee is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,420
Default

Squad wise Munster have added the following

Chris Farrell (Centre) - looked a decent prospect a few years back at Ulster and has two years in the Top 14 under his belt

James Hart (Scrum Half) - Just back from a spell at Racing Metro. Will battle it out with Williams for the bench spot

JJ (Out Half) - back after two seasons at Northampton.Will probably be used as a utility as he can play 10/12/15..cant see him starting many games ahead of Blyendaal and Keatley

Gerbrant Grobler (Second Row) - Don't know much about this guy but with Ryan,Foley & Deysel leaving there is a big gap to fill in the second Row

Chris Cloete (Openside) - Cant see this guy making the full strength team ahead of TOD but could be a handy squad player

few younger lads promoted from the academy too

Still think they are lacking some big players and will struggle to do any better in Europe this season. Also the transition when Rasie and Nienbar leave after Christmas will be interesting
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Coogee Coogee is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
i thought Zebre are gone?
apparently not...Michael Bradley named as head coach there
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Happyhonkaman Happyhonkaman is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 17,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogee View Post
apparently not...Michael Bradley named as head coach there
I only read about a week ago that they are leeching a million a week and a new franchise based in Rome would be entered

hmmm
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Coogee Coogee is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
I only read about a week ago that they are leeching a million a week and a new franchise based in Rome would be entered

hmmm
read the same thing...maybe the new money form the two South African sides is enough to keep them afloat
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2017, 03:03 PM
jeepers jeepers is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: livin' for the lotto
Posts: 12,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
i thought Zebre are gone?
I thought so too
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Stacky Stacky is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
I only read about a week ago that they are leeching a million a week and a new franchise based in Rome would be entered

hmmm
The Italian Rugby Federation have taken them over (to stop the cheques bouncing)

Any talk of who will be the next Munster coach after Rassie exits?
__________________
"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Coogee Coogee is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
The Italian Rugby Federation have taken them over (to stop the cheques bouncing)

Any talk of who will be the next Munster coach after Rassie exits?
no major talk at the moment...anyone worth their salt in the NH will be committed for the full season so you could see the coaching staff already there taking an interim role from Jan to May..hard ask with head coacha nd defence coach both leaving at same time!!...otherwise it would have to be a SH coach who isn't committed to the 2018 super rugby season and could join in Nov/Dec to takeover before Rassie leaves

What about Ewan Mckenzie or Michael Cheika who could be looking for a new job by the end of the Rugby Championship
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Stacky Stacky is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogee View Post
no major talk at the moment...anyone worth their salt in the NH will be committed for the full season so you could see the coaching staff already there taking an interim role from Jan to May..hard ask with head coacha nd defence coach both leaving at same time!!...otherwise it would have to be a SH coach who isn't committed to the 2018 super rugby season and could join in Nov/Dec to takeover before Rassie leaves

What about Ewan Mckenzie or Michael Cheika who could be looking for a new job by the end of the Rugby Championship
No so keen on an "in house" temporary option of say Felix Jones and Jerry Flannery as we might as well write off the whole season otherwise as even the knowledge that head and defence coach are leaving mid-season is bad enough. I am sure that Munster rugby are working on it behind the scenes and God save us from Eddie O'Sullivan.

McKenzie would be a good option if they could secure him.
__________________
"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.