Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-09-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post
I think CBC will be very strong this year and I heard they have Seamus Harvey now involved with them along side Donal O Mahony who was part of Kieran Kingston's backroom team and Tony Wall who coached the Glen to recent minor win. I saw their game v Colmans this year in the quarter final and I think tactically they blew it - they had the players to make it to the Harty final but Colmans played the wind much better and Christians left themselves with too much to do in the second half. Along with Downey, Hanlon, O Connell, O Flynn, Murphy, Cronin they also have Iarlaith Daly from Lismore - the best of this years Waterford minors plus a handful of Cork U17s U16s from this year. Flannans are meant to be good in their group but I would expect CBC to seriously challenge for Harty next year if they can keep their players injury free
I must ask you what is your connections to cbc and the AG?
Both schools you feel will challenge?
The AG won't get out of there group and likely to finish bottom.
Thurles and nenagh will be very strong and Doon have 11 or 12 of last year's team that pushed Midleton to only a 3 point win.
Templemore will be strong again as they still have 3 or 4 tipp minors and a host of u17 players.
Flannans have lost majority of last year's team. But it's hard to beat a hurling school.
Cbc have it all to do. Castletroy will have a few Limerick minors left over aswell.
It's like club teams defeating divisional sides. On paper the divisional side has a star studded line up. But you can't beat heart.
Old 17-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Christians well organised and training hard already
I think they will be competitive, they are under pressure to deliver given the scholarships, and last years non event
AG lost a few stars but they will play with heart and have nucleus of a good team
Midleton & Colmans I believe are our best contenders
Midleton / ASR group clash is crucial - you'd hope if they both come out of group Midleton would avoid them til final
AG have on balance toughest group - Thurles supposed to be coming good again
Doon indeed could be a surprise packet

If I was to pick last 4 ASR, Thurles, Midleton & Colmans
With Doon, CBC perhaps with an upset

Hopefully ASR might get tripped up
Old 17-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartyCupAbu View Post
I must ask you what is your connections to cbc and the AG?
Both schools you feel will challenge?
The AG won't get out of there group and likely to finish bottom.
Thurles and nenagh will be very strong and Doon have 11 or 12 of last year's team that pushed Midleton to only a 3 point win.
Templemore will be strong again as they still have 3 or 4 tipp minors and a host of u17 players.
Flannans have lost majority of last year's team. But it's hard to beat a hurling school.
Cbc have it all to do. Castletroy will have a few Limerick minors left over aswell.
It's like club teams defeating divisional sides. On paper the divisional side has a star studded line up. But you can't beat heart.
His young fella is in 6th year.
Old 17-09-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam turner View Post
His young fella is in 6th year.
Going off the Lord mayor's cup Midleton and Colmans are a mile ahead of cbc and the AG.
Cbc lack 2 or 3 real outstanding leaders in there team.
The AG have 7 or 8 hurlers. They don't have a team though.
Cbs and Colmans have an array of options and more on the bench to change games.
Ardscoil will take stopping. I'd expect either Midleton or Colmans to give them a right rattle though.
Old 17-09-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartyCupAbu View Post
Going off the Lord mayor's cup Midleton and Colmans are a mile ahead of cbc and the AG.
Cbc lack 2 or 3 real outstanding leaders in there team.
The AG have 7 or 8 hurlers. They don't have a team though.
Cbs and Colmans have an array of options and more on the bench to change games.
Ardscoil will take stopping. I'd expect either Midleton or Colmans to give them a right rattle though.
I am all for CBC and there promotion of GAA and how there going about it.

But I think there sideline doesn't look passionate enough last few years and we are seen there teams play like that. They are very much like divisional/college teams in SHC. Plenty of talent on paper. But no real stomach for the battle.
Last year a prominent player moved to them from Mallow. When harty team were knocked out he moved back to mallow school the week after. Doesn't say much for them.

Colmans have the drive and passion. CBS have the talent. I think those 2 are miles ahead of the rest in Cork
Old 17-09-2017, 05:33 PM

I think this year the cork lads have big game experi nce between the minors and 17s
Maybe that might make the differ nce this time around
Old 17-09-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinksalot View Post
I am all for CBC and there promotion of GAA and how there going about it.

But I think there sideline doesn't look passionate enough last few years and we are seen there teams play like that. They are very much like divisional/college teams in SHC. Plenty of talent on paper. But no real stomach for the battle.
Last year a prominent player moved to them from Mallow. When harty team were knocked out he moved back to mallow school the week after. Doesn't say much for them.

Colmans have the drive and passion. CBS have the talent. I think those 2 are miles ahead of the rest in Cork
You don't win a dean Ryan and reach a Harty final alone on passion. Colmans have some very fine hurlers too.
Cbc are picking hurlers to bring in on the fact there with cork underage squats etc. A lot of these lads are lovely hurlers. But they lack cutting for winter conditions and cutting in general is missing from a lot of the hurlers in corks game.
Old 17-09-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post
I am very impressed with your level of player knowledge Monkman and based on games I have seen I would agree 100% with you on each of those Harty-eligible lads above being unlucky to not make the Cork minor panel and I would also add in :-

Conor Bowen(Mon AG)
Blake Murphy ( MonnAG)
Tommy O Connell ( CBC)

I know both Murphy and O Connell were both with the U17s but I still think they were better than some of the bench options the minors had. It augurs well for the Cork Harty hopes and it would be fantastic to see a Cork school win it. I would put Midleton slightly ahead of CBC and MonAG and Colmans but they should all be competitive. The one thing that will change things completely is the weather - Harty hurling is much different to summer hurling
the mon ag are stacked with talent ! how come they dont dominate ?
Old 17-09-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringmusic View Post
the mon ag are stacked with talent ! how come they dont dominate ?
The AG have a very small pull of clubs. The Glen and Piarsaighs backbone the side with 12 or 13 of the team.
O Regan and Ryan have been brought in from watergrasshill and inniscarra. Vincent's are the other club who supply players.
Some of the Glen, Piarsaigh and Vincent players attend the English school in the Mon then so they lose the odd 2 or 3 good lads here.
Then the rise of cbc has an effect.
For example Ciaran Flynn, Jamie corkery brought in and Robert Downey are all based here. If they were all in the AG it would be different.
The 2 schools on the north side draw from Piarsaigh and Glen rovers.

You then look at Midleton cbs
They have very good clubs to draw from
Midleton
Killeagh
Fr o neills
Kilta og
Cloyne/Russell Rovers
Lisgould
Carrigtohill

Colmans have a very big draw of clubs too
Watergrasshill glenville
Bride Rovers
Castlelyons
St Catherine's
Ballyduff
Fermoy itself
Glanworth
Kilworth
Ballyhooly
Castletownroche

So when you take into account the club's and the bigger pick of players that Midleton amand d Colmans have over the AG you see the difference in class.
If anything the AG are competing well with the small pick they have.

Cbc have the county to pick from. They lack the experience and chemistry of more established schools yet.
St finbarrs
Douglas
Blackrock
Na piarsaigh
Glen Rovers
Carrigaline
Lismore
Midleton
Sarsfields
Erins own
Mallow
Etc

You just have to look at the top schools outside the county
Kierans have a huge pic
Thurles
Ardscoil

All these clubs are drawing from 12 to 15 clubs or more.
Old 17-09-2017, 08:59 PM

MonAG and North Mon should combine to make one team.