Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 04-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Tictac Tictac is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Corry CLAIMED he killed more than Tom Barry, and as you say unlike Tom Barry didn't do it to anyone facing him with a gun.

Corry though did execute a couple below in "SingSing" - nothing even remotely like the amount he liked to brag of or some subsequently nearly 100 years later accused him of. Corry and Murphy's claims were since disproved by in-depth historical research carried out by accredited historians, as distinct from self-agrandising braggards or those wishing to sell a book.
So, is "The Year of the Dissappearances" book factually incorrect?
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 04-01-2018, 04:28 PM
an liathroid beag an liathroid beag is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictac View Post
So, is "The Year of the Dissappearances" book factually incorrect?
Grim reading "The Year of the Disappearances" a lot of the bodies buried in a bog in Knockraha
__________________
A woman drove me to drink!-and I forgot to thank her!
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 04-01-2018, 04:35 PM
SoundMan SoundMan is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictac View Post
So, is "The Year of the Dissappearances" book factually incorrect?
Yes it is. And has been shown to be so by a number of recognised historical experts of that period including Borgonovo and Bilenberg
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 04-01-2018, 04:44 PM
SoundMan SoundMan is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by an liathroid beag View Post
Grim reading "The Year of the Disappearances" a lot of the bodies buried in a bog in Knockraha
If you read through it you can see early where the author Gerard Murphy supposes "what if..." and takes it from there. He admitted he'd heard stories and seems to have worked backwards from there using supposition to try to put flesh on the bones of the grim stories he'd been told. Proper historical research doesn't work like that. You start with known provable historical facts and try to piece together what actually happened from it rather than working in reverse which is what Murphy did.


http://www.theirishstory.com/2011/03.../#.Wk5MtE1LGnA

"The flaws in Murphy’s work are often evident only when his original source material is examined. If Murphy can not accurately transcribe either the handwritten or typed documents he uses as evidence, then the claim that his book is a work of historical fact based around these documents is seriously questionable"

It's easy to see why Murphy isn't a lecturer in History in the Carlow Tech where he lectures, and rather tellingly is an author of two critically acclaimed works of fiction
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 01-06-2018, 06:34 PM
blackie blackie is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,527
Default

Mc Guinness being proven more and more correct every day of RHI inquiry , DUP as good as FG/FF in corruption stakes.
__________________
I will in my hoop
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 01-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Duffs Duffs is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie View Post
Mc Guinness being proven more and more correct every day of RHI inquiry , DUP as good as FG/FF in corruption stakes.
It's generally accepted that Machine Gun Marty was no stranger to corruption.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 29-08-2018, 10:40 AM
Duffs Duffs is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,838
Default

So Marty was talking to the enemy behind his comrades backs. What a guy?

Martin McGuinness 'sent personal letters to leading Tories and asked to meet them'

http://www.irishnews.com/news/statep...files-1414603/
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 05-09-2018, 05:10 PM
SoundMan SoundMan is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictac View Post
So, is "The Year of the Dissappearances" book factually incorrect?
In many of it's hypotheses yes. Murphy has a writing style where he takes a given fact say "four soldiers were captured and executed the night before the Truce" and then speculates why and who killed them. And subsequently writes "We have seen previously where XXX killed the soldiers because of ABC". He interweaves pure speculation with historical facts in an effort to spin a good yarn. No surprise that he's written some novels, and his other book on history of the era "The Great Cover Up - The Truth about Michael Collins and Beal na Blath " is written in a similar vein. As though he's the only one who could untangle the history and where every other historian over the intervening 100 years was either inept or hoodwinked, he a novelist hobby-historian could get to the truth.

He's a spoofer
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 05-09-2018, 05:14 PM
SoundMan SoundMan is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffs View Post
So Marty was talking to the enemy behind his comrades backs. What a guy?

Martin McGuinness 'sent personal letters to leading Tories and asked to meet them'

http://www.irishnews.com/news/statep...files-1414603/
In his typewritten letter, Mr McGuinness wrote: "Dear Mr Brooke, I found it interesting that in a BBC interview shortly after you left office as secretary of state you expressed your regret at never having met the Sinn Féin President, Gerry Adams during your time in Stormont."

In 1992 Martin McGuinness was trying to arrange meetings with british politicians to see if there could be common ground leading to peace - SHOCKAAAAAA!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 05-09-2018, 06:20 PM
Duffs Duffs is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
In his typewritten letter, Mr McGuinness wrote: "Dear Mr Brooke, I found it interesting that in a BBC interview shortly after you left office as secretary of state you expressed your regret at never having met the Sinn Féin President, Gerry Adams during your time in Stormont."

In 1992 Martin McGuinness was trying to arrange meetings with british politicians to see if there could be common ground leading to peace - SHOCKAAAAAA!!!!
He should have gone through his handlers. No wonder they were upset with him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.