Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-01-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Martin McGuinness has resigned

Probably cos of the big C
Old 09-01-2017, 04:25 PM

Election so.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Senior PROC Member

He looks fucked M8, I'd say we'll have a goes bang thread before the year is out.

McGuinness resignation 'proves DUP and SF can't work together'

Quote:
Update 4.50pm: The current political crisis in the North proves that Sinn Féin and the DUP cannot work together, according to the Ulster Unionist Party.

UUP leader Mike Nesbitt said the two parties are incapable of compromise.

He said: "They have no concept of the greater good. If there's to be any good coming out of an election, if we're to have one, it's that people can decide not to re-elect the parties of government, but to give the parties of the opposition a chance."Update 3.45pm: Martin McGuinness has not confirmed whether he will run in any up-coming election in the North.

His resignation today as the North's Deputy First Minister effectively colllapses the Stormont Executive, and is effective from 5pm.

He announced his resignation as the North's deputy First Minister in protest at the DUP's failure to accept the principles of power-sharing and parity of esteem and their handling of the so called "ask for cash" crisis (explained below).

An election must be called in seven days if - as Mr McGuinness says it will - Sinn Féin refuses to nominate a replacement for him.

Speaking afterwards, he said: "Whether or not I will be a candidate (in any forth-coming election) is something I will come back to on a later date. Today is about my resignation.

"There will be no return to the status quo, except on terms that are acceptable to Sinn Féin."

Mr McGuinness's move comes hours after Mrs Foster accused him of playing a political game of chicken and warned she would not blink first.

"If he is playing a game of chicken, if Sinn Fein are playing a game of chicken, and they think we are going to blink in relation to me stepping aside they are wrong - I won't be stepping aside," she said, adding: "And if there is an election, there is an election."

While Sinn Féin had been due to formally call for Mrs Foster to step down in an Assembly debate next week, there had been speculation the party would pull the plug earlier.

Mr McGuinness, who has been experiencing health problems, confirmed that on Monday afternoon.

"It is my firm view that the DUP's handling of this issue has been completely out of step with a public mood which is rightly outraged at the squandering of public money and the allegations of misconduct and corruption," he wrote in his resignation letter to the Assembly's speaker.

"The public are demanding robust action and accountability but the DUP, in particular its leader Arlene Foster, have refused to accept this."

The structure of Stormont's Executive Office means a First Minister cannot hold the position without a co-equal Deputy First Minister. Mr McGuinness's resignation means Mrs Foster will no longer be First Minister.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...er-771662.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbabe08 View Post
awww you're a sweetie *hugs*
Old 09-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Paddy View Post
Probably cos of the big C
No, rare heart condition.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flirty Flossie View Post

Judging by his breathing he probably only has a few weeks left.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:19 AM

He looks as though he has just seen the ghost of Patsy Gillespie, one of his many victims!

https://ansionnachfionn.com/2015/10/...an-proxy-bomb/

Old 10-01-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Stone?
Old 10-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Senior PROC Member

Stone like you're head duffs
Old 10-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffs View Post
He looks as though he has just seen the ghost of Patsy Gillespie, one of his many victims!

https://ansionnachfionn.com/2015/10/...an-proxy-bomb/

all I see is Gazza
Old 10-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffs View Post
Stone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Stone like you're head duffs