Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Coogee Coogee is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,420
Default Irish Rugby Thread 2016/2017

Big year ahead for Irish Rugby

Talks of Joe Schmidt leaving seem to have gone quiet so at this stage he will likely be in charge until next summers lions tour. Could be a natural way for him to end his NH coaching career with a spot on the lions tour and then move home

Big games in Nov with the all blacks twice and Australia aswell as a chance to cap a few young players against Canada

England seem to be on the rise and will be six nations favorites but with them and france at home Ireland are probably second favorites.

Hopefully the likes of Tadgh Furlong and Ultan Dillane can kick on and nail down a starting spot and there is plenty of talent in the backs if all players are fit...biggest worry is a replacement for murray and heaslip getting picked ahead fo stander when POM and SOB are back
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22-07-2016, 12:49 PM
nelly sham nelly sham is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,011
Default

Will Schmidt move home? Obviously he'd take the NZ job if it was going but he's said before that the support for his kid up here is vastly greater, if he does go down I can imagine it would be for that role and that role only before he comes back up again.

Hopefully Ringrose pushes on too, there's a crazy abundance of players in the center and backrow.

Expect Ludik to get a cap against Canada, there's talk of giving him a cap and then moving him on from Ulster to free up a project spot or whatever he's in under right now.

Big season for Wales too, all isn't well in the camp right now with Edwards part-time role at Toulon having been blocked.

England need to be taken down a few notches too, they were always hard to beat but they've developed a back bone recently which will see them wins games well, if unspectacularly for the next while.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22-07-2016, 07:41 PM
whitey bulger whitey bulger is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogee View Post
Big year ahead for Irish Rugby

Talks of Joe Schmidt leaving seem to have gone quiet so at this stage he will likely be in charge until next summers lions tour. Could be a natural way for him to end his NH coaching career with a spot on the lions tour and then move home

Big games in Nov with the all blacks twice and Australia aswell as a chance to cap a few young players against Canada

England seem to be on the rise and will be six nations favorites but with them and france at home Ireland are probably second favorites.

Hopefully the likes of Tadgh Furlong and Ultan Dillane can kick on and nail down a starting spot and there is plenty of talent in the backs if all players are fit...biggest worry is a replacement for murray and heaslip getting picked ahead fo stander when POM and SOB are back

Sure didn't we play those sides a few years ago. Canada will be a big threat. I suppose it'll be the same old glorious defeats against NZ
I love the way we get excited about friendlies
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Eoin Eoin is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 30,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly sham View Post
Will Schmidt move home? Obviously he'd take the NZ job if it was going but he's said before that the support for his kid up here is vastly greater, if he does go down I can imagine it would be for that role and that role only before he comes back up again.
He has to coach a Super Rugby team before he can be considered for the NZ job, due to the NZRU rules.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22-07-2016, 08:16 PM
whitey bulger whitey bulger is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
He has to coach a Super Rugby team before he can be considered for the NZ job, due to the NZRU rules.
But aren't Aarland a Super Rugby team
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22-07-2016, 09:07 PM
nelly sham nelly sham is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
He has to coach a Super Rugby team before he can be considered for the NZ job, due to the NZRU rules.
Ah but sure Leinster were playing a Super Rugby brand of rugby years ago!


I did not know that though, good knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22-07-2016, 10:02 PM
greengrass greengrass is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogee View Post
Big year ahead for Irish Rugby

Talks of Joe Schmidt leaving seem to have gone quiet so at this stage he will likely be in charge until next summers lions tour. Could be a natural way for him to end his NH coaching career with a spot on the lions tour and then move home

Big games in Nov with the all blacks twice and Australia aswell as a chance to cap a few young players against Canada

England seem to be on the rise and will be six nations favorites but with them and france at home Ireland are probably second favorites.

Hopefully the likes of Tadgh Furlong and Ultan Dillane can kick on and nail down a starting spot and there is plenty of talent in the backs if all players are fit...biggest worry is a replacement for murray and heaslip getting picked ahead fo stander when POM and SOB are back
If he does come back ,he'll only be a shadow of the player he once was.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22-07-2016, 10:19 PM
TheEarlofPearl TheEarlofPearl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
He has to coach a Super Rugby team before he can be considered for the NZ job, due to the NZRU rules.
I thought he coached the Blues? Or do you have to be presently coaching a super rugby team?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Eoin Eoin is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 30,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlofPearl View Post
I thought he coached the Blues? Or do you have to be presently coaching a super rugby team?
Presently coaching a NZ super rugby team.

If they want him for the national team, he'll have to go and manage one of them for a season before taking up the role.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22-07-2016, 10:34 PM
TheEarlofPearl TheEarlofPearl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
Presently coaching a NZ super rugby team.

If they want him for the national team, he'll have to go and manage one of them for a season before taking up the role.
Cheers Eoin, he ruled himself out of the Lions job as well today
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.