Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #341  
Old 17-01-2018, 05:17 AM
rebel_rebel rebel_rebel is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Gent View Post
Did aer lingus cancel their Cork-Rome flights entirely?
The haven't flown to Rome from Cork for years.
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 17-01-2018, 10:09 AM
Jimmy the Gent Jimmy the Gent is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rock Ridge
Posts: 6,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_rebel View Post
The haven't flown to Rome from Cork for years.
That's a real shame.
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 17-01-2018, 02:15 PM
jakbhoy jakbhoy is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,088
Default

I would love a direct flight to Berlin from Cork.
I think there may have been one years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 18-01-2018, 01:06 PM
poulgorm poulgorm is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,348
Default

It just isn't the range of destinations - it's the aircraft too. Those ATRs are shit to fly in. Noisy, cramped and slow. I do the Cork - Manchester run quite frequently and often, I drive to Shannon, for the pleasure of going on a 737 (Ryanair).

I used to use Ryanair to do Cork - Liverpool and then use a Terravision bus to get to the centre of Manchester. But Terravision have pulled out.
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 18-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Wings Wings is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyumyum View Post
A small runway extension is the only major defect I see at the airport. We missed out on Air Canada Rouge to Toronto and the New York link with Norwegian last year as a direct result of the runway. Getting a 737 Max to the East Coast without any issues would be big for the airport and would probably entice Turkish Airlines (who have long flirted with Cork) for a quasi Middle East route a few times a week. Public transport could be improved but that is a city wide issue as much as an airport issue
The New York route wasn't a result of the runway...the aircraft type wasn't in service at the time so there was no operational figures so the runway cannot be blamed...they just launched Boston PVD because their business case figures added up..if the figures add up for a NY route it will happen..There was no way a company were going to risk 2 limited unproven routes out of cork.the 737 MAX fuel burn figures since entry into service are very impressive over the standard 737-800

Also, Aer Lingus are always cribbing about the infrastructure in dublin..re waiting/moving aircraft for parking stands,taxy delays etc etc the simple solution is to invest a bit more in cork,there's definitely plenty routes that are viable from Cork
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 18-01-2018, 02:36 PM
cakeyumyum cakeyumyum is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
The New York route wasn't a result of the runway...the aircraft type wasn't in service at the time so there was no operational figures so the runway cannot be blamed...they just launched Boston PVD because their business case figures added up..if the figures add up for a NY route it will happen..There was no way a company were going to risk 2 limited unproven routes out of cork.the 737 MAX fuel burn figures since entry into service are very impressive over the standard 737-800

Also, Aer Lingus are always cribbing about the infrastructure in dublin..re waiting/moving aircraft for parking stands,taxy delays etc etc the simple solution is to invest a bit more in cork,there's definitely plenty routes that are viable from Cork
The reason it doesn't add up is because the small runway and increased distance to NY vs PVD which affects the pax they can carry. Stewart is by far the more popular route out of Dublin, Belfast and Shannon. If there were no issues with the runway but Norwegian were worried about loads they would have gone with Stewart rather than PVD out of Cork. The runway is directly responsible for there being no New York route from Cork.
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 18-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Wings Wings is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Default

its not,the business case didn't add up,why haven't they launched it since the max was introduced which has the range?

The fact is the b737-800 they launched to PVD is also limited from Cork due range of the aircraft and the runway issue is only in very tight weather conditions.it was also limited from dublin/bfs and snn due range
The MAX will have no problem and I hope it happens

Belfast,that will probably be the first casualty of all this.

Last edited by Wings; 18-01-2018 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 18-01-2018, 03:45 PM
cakeyumyum cakeyumyum is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
its not,the business case didn't add up,why haven't they launched it since the max was introduced which has the range?

The fact is the b737-800 they launched to PVD is also limited from Cork due range of the aircraft and the runway issue is only in very tight weather conditions.it was also limited from dublin/bfs and snn due range
The MAX will have no problem and I hope it happens

Belfast,that will probably be the first casualty of all this.
The 737-800 was launched to Providence in the summer, when the winds have far less of an effect and there was almost no impact on loads. Norwegian knew the Max's were on order and would be operating the route by the time Autumn came around.

There is no reason why the Stewart route wouldn't have been launched if there were not issues with the runway and its effect on loads. Cork is outperforming Shannon and Belfast on the PVD route and the Stewart route is by far the more popular one out of every airport. There is no reason why Cork would be any different, especially since the corporate take up on Norwegian has been exceptionally low.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 18-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Wings Wings is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Default

i do hope the Stewart route happens but they're a bit slow on uptake..they could of launched it back then,the flights to PVD and Stewart on the 737-800 Were also limited from Dublin,Belfast and Shannon due to aircraft range issues,the runway was a handy excuse for cork..it was an untried market so were cautious..BFS/SNN already had proven Transatlantic routes with another airline too

Last edited by Wings; 18-01-2018 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 18-01-2018, 05:13 PM
cakeyumyum cakeyumyum is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
i do hope the Stewart route happens but they're a bit slow on uptake..they could of launched it back then,the flights to PVD and Stewart on the 737-800 Were also limited from Dublin,Belfast and Shannon due to aircraft range issues,the runway was a handy excuse for cork..it was an untried market so were cautious..BFS/SNN already had proven Transatlantic routes with another airline too
Cork-PVD was the most profitable transatlantic route for Norwegian in 2017:
https://www.aviationanalytics.com/20...overstretched/

If Cork-Stewart was possible they would be doing it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.