Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 16-01-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppellanger View Post
Bergen, Norway has a population similar to Cork but its airport has 6 million passengers a year. I'd guess there are more exmples too.
In terms of international traffic the volume between Cork and Bergen is almost identical, the difference is they have nearly 2 million pax travelling to Olso and another 1.5 million going to other domestic locations. The geography and motorway network of Ireland makes that unnecessary. There isn't even the option for domestic flights from Cork
Old 16-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyumyum View Post
If you don't think that happens you are delusional. I'd love to see a survey of the final airport destinations from the air coach traffic but I guarantee a significant portion is to UK and European routes served by Cork.

Can you give me an example of a city with a population of 200k-500k that has a significantly better served airport than Cork? Economies of scale drive routes.
And Dublin Airport is pulling everything unto itself. If you were living equidistant from Cork and Dublin airport, and a citizen of neither county, good roadway to both, which airport would you go to and why?
Even if you were living much closer to Cork airport you'd probably go to Dublin for the choice of destinations and frequency. I think the saving of a few quid is unlikely to be an issue, especially if it means you have to sit on a coach for a couple of hours to get to Dublin

Can you give me an example of a developed country so centralised in it's decisions and policies on transport?
Old 16-01-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down da Castle View Post
your 20 Euro comment was flippant and untrue.
Yes people go to Dublin to save a few quid, but you'd want to be mad to do it to save 20 euro and it doesn't happen.
3.5 hours of peoples time is worth far more than 20 quid. Plus you have to factor in you'd be hungry by the time you get there and have to get something to eat at the airport, so you'd lose a chunk of your saving on the bus right away.

When I've had a choice, it was done due to a saving of a few hundred euro not 20.
In some cases, the number of flights may start to be an issue.
When I flew back at Christmas, I ended up landing in Heathrow at 4.30am, and the Cork flight wasn't till 9.45am. In the 5 hours I was there, I could have got a 6.30am flight to Dublin and the air coach down to Cork and been home around the same time or earlier than the time I actually got home (around 12pm due to the length of time my bags took to come out in Cork). It probably would have been significantly cheaper too.
I personally know people who have done it for €20. You would be shocked at how little it takes people to travel up to Dublin airport.

On your second point I would say that sitting in a restaurant in Heathrow is preferable to sitting in traffic on the M50 in a packed aircoach. If you book in advance there is very little difference in price too.
Old 16-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
I personally know people who have done it for €20. You would be shocked at how little it takes people to travel up to Dublin airport.

On your second point I would say that sitting in a restaurant in Heathrow is preferable to sitting in traffic on the M50 in a packed aircoach. If you book in advance there is very little difference in price too.
You know people who'd sit on a bus for 3 hours to "save" 20€ - people who rate their time, not to mention their comfort, so low? Wow!

The comfort and convenience of flying from Cork is well worth an extra few quid imho, and the difference would reduce the more people avail of Cork Airport imho
Old 16-01-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
And Dublin Airport is pulling everything unto itself. If you were living equidistant from Cork and Dublin airport, and a citizen of neither county, good roadway to both, which airport would you go to and why?
Even if you were living much closer to Cork airport you'd probably go to Dublin for the choice of destinations and frequency. I think the saving of a few quid is unlikely to be an issue, especially if it means you have to sit on a coach for a couple of hours to get to Dublin

Can you give me an example of a developed country so centralised in it's decisions and policies on transport?
Look at the difference between Schiphol (63 million) and Rotterdam (1.6 million) or between Copenhagen (29 million) and Billund (3 million) or between Brussels (31 million combined) and Liege (300k) or between Stockholm (20 million combined) and Gothenburg (4 million) or between Helsinki (16 million) and Oulu (1 million).

The difference in pax between Cork and Dublin is absolutely standard. As far as countries with dominant capital cities go, Cork is on the high average end for a second airport. Cork faces the added difficulty of having another airport with a far superior runway right in it's target market.
Old 16-01-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Just picked a random date Asia—Cork and Asia - Dublin on the same dates (24 April to 1st May) via the BA app. The Dublin option is €185 cheaper.
Old 16-01-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Just picked a random date Asia—Cork and Asia - Dublin on the same dates (24 April to 1st May) via the BA app. The Dublin option is €185 cheaper.
What can Cork airport do about BA's pricing?

Cork to Beijing with BA 12th to 21st of Oct is €637, Dublin to Beijing with BA on the same dates is €625. First dates I picked.
Old 16-01-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
BA metal out of Dublin though. Try the same destination out of Cork with KLM.
Old 16-01-2018, 09:01 PM

For a long haul flight I'd definitely pay a big enough premium from Cork. Fly in after a long trip and I'm home in 15 mins or else face the 3 hours from Dublin. No brainer really. It would want to be a significant price difference for me to consider Dublin in those situations.
Old 17-01-2018, 12:01 AM

Did aer lingus cancel their Cork-Rome flights entirely?