Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Toolbox View Post
Cork airport - 16 flights a day.

There are more flights from Dublin in 1 hour than there is in Cork for the whole day.

Given the demographics, that's plain corruption.
Alas the powers that be in this country just don't want to listen HT. I can't think of any other business that has its own competitor (in this case DAA) setting its rules. Fcking scandal on TDs of ALL parties, yes including Sinn Fein, that more isn't being done to boost Cork Airport before it's allowed wither and die so that Dublin Airport can become even bigger
Old 10-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Air France launching daily Cork-CDG service for the summer
Old 12-01-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Toolbox View Post
Cork - Munich now gone.

2 flights a day, 7 days a week from Dumpland.

IAG Ireland and the DAA are effectively closing down Cork airport.

And there's nobody doing anything to represent the people of Cork.

The decimation of the airport is going to have a huge financial impact on the entire region.
Cork Airport grew in 2017 (3-5% final numbers not yet released) and in 2016 (8%). It had over 2.3 million pax in 2017. Cork is set to grow again in 2018. Baring another economic shock or a catastrophic Brexit, Cork will be hitting 2.5 million pax and staying there by the end of the decade.

Shannon, the supposed golden model of an airport free from the DAA shrunk in 2017 and is stuck at 1.7 million pax. It's set to shrink again in 2018. The days of Cork having 1 million more pax per annum than Shannon are in sight.

Any notions of competing with Dublin are fantasies. Economies of scale drive airports, look at Schiphol vs Rotterdam, Heathrow vs Birmingham or CDG vs Lyon. It's a tough industry out there for small city airports. Also the Cork public LOVE the aircoach and will happily take a 7 hour round-trip with an hour extra in departures to save €20. What can Cork airport do about that?

I think the DAA have done an amazing job over the last few years, they've brought in transatlantic, which honestly looked impossible five years ago, they've taken punts on speculative routes like London City and Reykjavik, they have wrangled a miracle out of IAG and KLM for a codeshare each year and they have delivered sustainable growth to the bread and butter UK and Sun routes.

A small runway extension is the only major defect I see at the airport. We missed out on Air Canada Rouge to Toronto and the New York link with Norwegian last year as a direct result of the runway. Getting a 737 Max to the East Coast without any issues would be big for the airport and would probably entice Turkish Airlines (who have long flirted with Cork) for a quasi Middle East route a few times a week. Public transport could be improved but that is a city wide issue as much as an airport issue
Old 15-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyumyum View Post
Cork Airport grew in 2017 (3-5% final numbers not yet released) and in 2016 (8%). It had over 2.3 million pax in 2017. Cork is set to grow again in 2018. Baring another economic shock or a catastrophic Brexit, Cork will be hitting 2.5 million pax and staying there by the end of the decade.

Shannon, the supposed golden model of an airport free from the DAA shrunk in 2017 and is stuck at 1.7 million pax. It's set to shrink again in 2018. The days of Cork having 1 million more pax per annum than Shannon are in sight.

Any notions of competing with Dublin are fantasies. Economies of scale drive airports, look at Schiphol vs Rotterdam, Heathrow vs Birmingham or CDG vs Lyon. It's a tough industry out there for small city airports. Also the Cork public LOVE the aircoach and will happily take a 7 hour round-trip with an hour extra in departures to save €20. What can Cork airport do about that?

I think the DAA have done an amazing job over the last few years, they've brought in transatlantic, which honestly looked impossible five years ago, they've taken punts on speculative routes like London City and Reykjavik, they have wrangled a miracle out of IAG and KLM for a codeshare each year and they have delivered sustainable growth to the bread and butter UK and Sun routes.

A small runway extension is the only major defect I see at the airport. We missed out on Air Canada Rouge to Toronto and the New York link with Norwegian last year as a direct result of the runway. Getting a 737 Max to the East Coast without any issues would be big for the airport and would probably entice Turkish Airlines (who have long flirted with Cork) for a quasi Middle East route a few times a week. Public transport could be improved but that is a city wide issue as much as an airport issue
The suggestion that it's to save 20E is risible. The fact remains is that because Dublin (and its airport in particular) is a sinkhole sucking everything to itself means that there isn't a fraction of the choice of destinations or frequency of flights available to those in Cork.

Now Dublin county has a population of 1.5M, three times that of Cork County, even 6 times that of Cork City, but the number and choice of flights from Dublin is an order of magnitude bigger than that from Cork Airport.

If there's more choice people will gladly fly from Cork, and even pay the extra money to do so. I know I and my family do.
Old 15-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

I am inclined agree with Drucker and see Cork airport as a short hop to a hub. That is how I use anyway if travelling for work with out ankle bitters. I fly to Orlando a few times a year and always use Shannon. The convenience of clearing customs and arriving to Orlando(the setup there allows you to pickup your bags and 20yards later you are at the taxi rank) second to none imo.
Old 15-01-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
The suggestion that it's to save 20E is risible. The fact remains is that because Dublin (and its airport in particular) is a sinkhole sucking everything to itself means that there isn't a fraction of the choice of destinations or frequency of flights available to those in Cork.

Now Dublin county has a population of 1.5M, three times that of Cork County, even 6 times that of Cork City, but the number and choice of flights from Dublin is an order of magnitude bigger than that from Cork Airport.

If there's more choice people will gladly fly from Cork, and even pay the extra money to do so. I know I and my family do.
If you don't think that happens you are delusional. I'd love to see a survey of the final airport destinations from the air coach traffic but I guarantee a significant portion is to UK and European routes served by Cork.

Can you give me an example of a city with a population of 200k-500k that has a significantly better served airport than Cork? Economies of scale drive routes.
Old 16-01-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
If you don't think that happens you are delusional. I'd love to see a survey of the final airport destinations from the air coach traffic but I guarantee a significant portion is to UK and European routes served by Cork.

Can you give me an example of a city with a population of 200k-500k that has a significantly better served airport than Cork? Economies of scale drive routes.
Bergen, Norway has a population similar to Cork but its airport has 6 million passengers a year. I'd guess there are more exmples too.
Old 16-01-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:

your 20 Euro comment was flippant and untrue.
Yes people go to Dublin to save a few quid, but you'd want to be mad to do it to save 20 euro and it doesn't happen.
3.5 hours of peoples time is worth far more than 20 quid. Plus you have to factor in you'd be hungry by the time you get there and have to get something to eat at the airport, so you'd lose a chunk of your saving on the bus right away.

When I've had a choice, it was done due to a saving of a few hundred euro not 20.
In some cases, the number of flights may start to be an issue.
When I flew back at Christmas, I ended up landing in Heathrow at 4.30am, and the Cork flight wasn't till 9.45am. In the 5 hours I was there, I could have got a 6.30am flight to Dublin and the air coach down to Cork and been home around the same time or earlier than the time I actually got home (around 12pm due to the length of time my bags took to come out in Cork). It probably would have been significantly cheaper too.
Old 16-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down da Castle View Post
I actually got home (around 12pm due to the length of time my bags took to come out in Cork)
They are definitely the slowest of any airport I have ever visited.
Old 16-01-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicGrinder View Post
They are definitely the slowest of any airport I have ever visited.
its a joke. When I was back in the summer it took 45 minutes, and the plan parked 50m away