Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26-11-2015, 02:32 AM
Dick Holder Dick Holder is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 855
Default Cork Airport - Election Issue

Folks, can I ask that you all consider raising the tumble- weeds at Cork airport when the TDs appear on your doors? It's about time that they saw some merit in addressing this issue.

Cork is now the only airport that can act as a gateway for two of Failte Ireland's major initiatives - the Wild Atlantic Way and the Ancient East. There's no excuse for it to remain as a distant afterthought to Terminal 2 at Dublin.

In my opinion Coveney is wrong and he probably knows it. Regardless of Cork's interest at board level in the DAA, that institution will still be run to the benefit of Dublin, and the detriment of Cork. The Minister will still call the shots, and it will always be very hard for people who are not familiar with Cork (like most of the Dublin based government) to see its potential. It is all about potential. Cork has the potential to be much more than it is. There is more than one city in this country. Despite popular belief to the contrary, an urban area with more than 400k citizens, is substantial. There are many comparable areas across Europe, operating at a far more impressive economic level.

A Cork Airport Authority would have the power to maximise the airport and the city and county's potential without worrying about the effects on Dublin. I'm no fan of Michael O Leary, but if he could take over the old terminal, make it a hub for Irish budget traffic and do 10% of what he's done for Stanstead, in Cork - should that not be properly explored? We need to be careful about seeing Self serving (and there's nothing wrong with that when in business, but it is a reality) business men like Leary as White Knights for Cork, but we also need to be wary of a State that is more interested in developing Dublin than it is capable of seeing any potential to expand any other local economy.

Please raise this issue. Things can change - not very quickly - but they change nonetheless. I often wax lyrical about Socialism on this board, but to be honest, I see local issues as the most important. We'll never change the ways of the world, but we can change the county we live in and how it interacts with that world.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26-11-2015, 03:08 AM
Tube a Pringles Tube a Pringles is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,466
Default

I wish people would stop this O'Leary taking over the old Terminal bullshit. Ryanair don't operate airports. They have said they don't want anything to do with the old terminal. Using the old terminal would not make it any cheaper for Ryanair to use Cork Airport.

This year has resulted in 2 major carrier announcements. Cityjet and the Norwegian US link. If they are successful then the airport in turn will gather momentum. If people don't use the routes then they will pull out. Simple as.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26-11-2015, 03:59 AM
leesider leesider is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Down under with a view to above!
Posts: 2,008
Default

I think the old terminal is actually going to be knocked in the next couple of years and it is well beyond a capacity to be redeveloped.

On the Norwegian air Boston flight nothing concrete about this as still need to qualify for a foreign carrier permit from the US, the question should be asked how is this progressing??
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26-11-2015, 04:49 AM
Tube a Pringles Tube a Pringles is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,466
Default

It's all very quite. On the aviation forums they are generally getting a pasteing too about their service. This could very well end up in a cul de sac.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26-11-2015, 07:28 AM
Tictac Tictac is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 15,210
Default

Ireland will be spending millions on military fighter jets in the next three years. I think that they could get a fantastic deal on 2nd hand russian ones.

The irish air corps operating out of baldonnel is bullshit. Irelands defense weakness is to the west and south.

Building a defense facility and operating military jets out of cork makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26-11-2015, 09:54 AM
poulgorm poulgorm is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube a Pringles View Post
This year has resulted in 2 major carrier announcements. Cityjet and the Norwegian US link. If they are successful then the airport in turn will gather momentum. If people don't use the routes then they will pull out. Simple as.
People will use them only if the fares are right.

I travel to Manchester regularly. Each time I go, I check the cost - leaving from Shannon (Ryanair) or Cork (Aer Lingus Commuter). I haven't used Cork for that trip in the last 18 months.

It just isn't the DAA that are screwing Cork - Aer Lingus are as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Fusty Fusty is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cork City
Posts: 454
Default

Took the city jet service to London City last Saturday morning. All good and very convenient on the other side but only about 25 passengers on a plane taking 100+ can't be good whereas Ryanair from Gatwick was rammed on the way back on Sunday evening.

Maybe it's busier during the week?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Fusty Fusty is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cork City
Posts: 454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Holder View Post
Folks, can I ask that you all consider raising the tumble- weeds at Cork airport when the TDs appear on your doors? It's about time that they saw some merit in addressing this issue.

Cork is now the only airport that can act as a gateway for two of Failte Ireland's major initiatives - the Wild Atlantic Way and the Ancient East. There's no excuse for it to remain as a distant afterthought to Terminal 2 at Dublin.

In my opinion Coveney is wrong and he probably knows it. Regardless of Cork's interest at board level in the DAA, that institution will still be run to the benefit of Dublin, and the detriment of Cork. The Minister will still call the shots, and it will always be very hard for people who are not familiar with Cork (like most of the Dublin based government) to see its potential. It is all about potential. Cork has the potential to be much more than it is. There is more than one city in this country. Despite popular belief to the contrary, an urban area with more than 400k citizens, is substantial. There are many comparable areas across Europe, operating at a far more impressive economic level.

A Cork Airport Authority would have the power to maximise the airport and the city and county's potential without worrying about the effects on Dublin. I'm no fan of Michael O Leary, but if he could take over the old terminal, make it a hub for Irish budget traffic and do 10% of what he's done for Stanstead, in Cork - should that not be properly explored? We need to be careful about seeing Self serving (and there's nothing wrong with that when in business, but it is a reality) business men like Leary as White Knights for Cork, but we also need to be wary of a State that is more interested in developing Dublin than it is capable of seeing any potential to expand any other local economy.

Please raise this issue. Things can change - not very quickly - but they change nonetheless. I often wax lyrical about Socialism on this board, but to be honest, I see local issues as the most important. We'll never change the ways of the world, but we can change the county we live in and how it interacts with that world.
40% of all economic activity in the Republic happens inside the ring of the M50 motorway in Dublin. That tells its own story.

The Ryanair terminal thing is well out of date. Do you read the newspapers?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26-11-2015, 02:43 PM
SoundMan SoundMan is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusty View Post
40% of all economic activity in the Republic happens inside the ring of the M50 motorway in Dublin. That tells its own story.

The Ryanair terminal thing is well out of date. Do you read the newspapers?
It sure does tell a story, and that story is this is probably the most centralised country in modern Europe. It's farcical that the eastern plughole is encouraged to drain this country and it's doubly so that it's very size seems now to be used as an excuse for it to get ever bigger.

It is nonsensical that the very people who are in competition for customers with Cork Airport would be the ones making strategic decisions for Cork Airport.

Cork Airport should, like Shannon Airport, be given autonomy from Dublin Airport (Authority) and allowed run its own affairs.

We have a big enough population mass far enough away from Dublin to viably run new routes out of Cork, but doing that would adversely affect Dublin airport so they veto it.

And it should definitely be an issue for the GE politicians to state where they stand.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Stacky Stacky is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
It sure does tell a story, and that story is this is probably the most centralised country in modern Europe. It's farcical that the eastern plughole is encouraged to drain this country and it's doubly so that it's very size seems now to be used as an excuse for it to get ever bigger.

It is nonsensical that the very people who are in competition for customers with Cork Airport would be the ones making strategic decisions for Cork Airport.

Cork Airport should, like Shannon Airport, be given autonomy from Dublin Airport (Authority) and allowed run its own affairs.

We have a big enough population mass far enough away from Dublin to viably run new routes out of Cork, but doing that would adversely affect Dublin airport so they veto it.

And it should definitely be an issue for the GE politicians to state where they stand.
Plenty of new routes out of Cork announced this year.

Madrid today.

Up to people now to start using them and quit moaning.
__________________
"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.