Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password
View Poll Results: Repeal the 8th Amendment?
Yes 57 62.64%
No 34 37.36%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2018, 01:35 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
There are people who are not religious here in this country who are uneasy regarding the 12 weeks aspect of the legislation which may come into place if the repeal side wins but there's a long way to go yet. I'd expect a strong yes vote in Dublin and that may carry them over the line, I think that's what happened with the divorce referendum.

... have pointed that put repeatedly Rox,they whole idea makes me queasy and makes me feel grand that myself and late wife were without even a discussion on the same page about our youngest and what we were told might be the case...that she is fit as a fiddle and now just over thirty I still call her 'baby'...

... that Rox is what an option is... drag enough anchors (sorry for the pun)and demand/feel no need to try and stop anyone else dragging their own anchors....known only two people who took those option(s)...and it is lasting, wish them no harm or ill feeling, they felt it was right at the time.....it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg Rox (if I can paraphrase/maul Jefferson)...to let people, in sometimes hellish distress be given another option, no matter that it's not and easy one and repugnant to some/many and be grateful it's not me...we all try or should try to do our best in life, with a little help we can all do a good deal better.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
I agree, the strategies employed by both sides in most of the referendums we have had recently tend to only result in confusing the issue at hand by introducing completely unhelpful red herrings. The gay marriage vote was a classic one where the whole thing became about gay adoption which had absolutely no bearing on the referendum itself
That still passed by a large margin but yeah, somebody will come up with something like "abortion in Ireland will lead to the polar ice caps melting within five weeks".
Old 10-02-2018, 01:52 AM
Senior PROC Member

Fake Examiner Bogus Poll
The bogus poll would have served a useful purpose by shifting focus away from opposition to the Government’s abortion proposals by doctors and instead framing a new narrative, one in which the support of “three out of every four GPs and hospital consultants” for unrestricted access to abortion would be a key theme.

As the story broke online, journalistic standards broke down across the sector.

The newspaper-of-record The Irish Times is a much more popular, influential and respected outlet than the Examiner, and its news correspondent Ronan McGreevy appeared sceptical of the IMT’s poll findings.

“As an iron rule,” he tweeted in the early hours of Thursday morning, “we never carry polls unless they are based on a proper representative sample of the Irish public.”

Minutes later, The Irish Times reported that a health poll had found that 75% of medical professionals favoured legalised abortion up until 12 weeks.

That bastion of truth and balance in this most difficult and contentious of public debates –TheJournal.ie – also ran with the story.

However, the glaringly obvious holes in this story were pointed out by numerous observers online, and being rumbled, the Irish Medical Times backed down on their claims.

A Google search now leads us to the story on the IMT’s website entitled ‘Majority of doctors in Ireland back abortion up to 12 weeks, IMT poll.’ The link to the page is dead: the story has been removed. They cannot stand over this ‘poll’ and they are not trying to. The Irish Times have also removed the story from their website, as did TheJournal.ie.

Yet the Irish Examiner still have the story on its website, and have even added a self-exculpatory preamble.

“It is not Irish Examiner policy to take down or remove stories from our website but rather to update the story as fresh information emerges,” they state.

“To date, no fresh information has emerged from the Irish Medical Times about their latest survey on abortion attitudes. Any questions about their methodology should be directed to the Irish Medical Times.”

This is an understandable move. Faced with the realisation that on Thursday they placed a bogus opinion poll on the front page, it might be better for the paper and the two journalists who wrote the story to lie low and let this blow over, rather than to endure the humiliation of issuing a formal retraction.

The referendum campaign has not yet begun, and already we are beginning witness the complete abandonment of any pretense of objectivity within our national media, including formerly respectable newspapers. They will likely plumb further depths in the coming months.

On this point, it is worth noting that the same article on the Irish Examiner’s website also includes a claim that a “large Pro-Life Campaign poster saying abortion is akin to child abuse” had been placed outside Leinster House.

The Pro-Life Campaign say that the poster does not belong to them, and that it is considering their legal options in relation to this claim.

Also, and in an entirely unrelated development, the Irish Examiner published another article yesterday, entitled ‘Public trust in traditional journalism on the rise as fears of ‘fake news’ increase.’

Irony is lost on these people, as is integrity too.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:53 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
That still passed by a large margin.

...did you always want to be in real life what you think you became on a pissant Internet eh...of course already the know the answer to that eh...to be the howling wank you are you need new names and tracks(who the fuck cares ) to sustain your need to feel 'important'...christ-almighty you are a laughable critter...a living abort as someone on board said yesterday about Trump...fit's you to a tee...good reason why you keep your head low around heavy cannon eh...you walking hemorrhoid...
Old 10-02-2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolaly View Post
Forum,

...did you always want to be in real life what you think you became on a pissant Internet eh...of course already the know the answer to that eh...to be the howling wank you are you need new names and tracks(who the fuck cares ) to sustain your need to feel 'important'...christ-almighty you are a laughable critter...a living abort as someone on board said yesterday about Trump...fit's you to a tee...good reason why you keep your head low around heavy cannon eh...you walking hemorrhoid...
Lolwut?
Old 10-02-2018, 01:57 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
I agree, the strategies employed by both sides in most of the referendums we have had recently tend to only result in confusing the issue at hand by introducing completely unhelpful red herrings. The gay marriage vote was a classic one where the whole thing became about gay adoption which had absolutely no bearing on the referendum itself
...what fucken strategy? ...do the rabid really think people otherwise minded are going to be swayed by their lunacy....they have become what they ought to be on same/sane subject...passing entertainment as people make their own mind(s) up.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
...what fucken strategy? ...do the rabid really think people otherwise minded are going to be swayed by their lunacy....they have become what they ought to be on same/sane subject...passing entertainment as people make their own mind(s) up.
Speaking of lunacy...

You basically agree with me that people will make up their own minds but went on some weird personal rant. Strange, strange fish.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:13 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

[QUOTE=Cloudy O'Ranieri;6183719]Speaking of lunacy...

You basically agree with me that people will make up their own minds but went on some weird personal rant. Strange, strange fish.[/QUOTE

Maybe you can point out what was personal and weird, who gives a fuck what you think agrees with you? you pathetic reprobate think it's all your idea?

Living life vicariously in some fucking attic masquerading as some gizmo from some Sci-Fi yarn while not swapping and changing names here for decades and at one and the same time enjoying salutation from other gimps here who share a similar 'lifestyle' with no sign of egalitarianism, tis the Lord of the Flies from attic losers...do keep trying fella, you are fair game with your airs and graces.You pass time in poor weather...you are not entirely useless.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Maybe you can point out what was personal and weird, who gives a fuck what you think agrees with you? you pathetic reprobate think it's all your idea?

Living life vicariously in some fucking attic masquerading as some gizmo from some Sci-Fi yarn while not swapping and changing names here for decades and at one and the same time enjoying salutation from other gimps here who share a similar 'lifestyle' with no sign of egalitarianism, tis the Lord of the Flies from attic losers...do keep trying fella, you are fair game with your airs and graces.You pass time in poor weather...you are not entirely useless.
You ok, bud?

I've only ever had two usernames here. I think you must be confusing me with somebody else. I've had little to no dealings with you during my INTERNET career.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:02 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
You ok, bud?

I've only ever had two usernames here. I think you must be confusing me with somebody else. I've had little to no dealings with you during my INTERNET career.
shur we are grand here middle of a bitch of a night just passing through the Pentland, doubt if we care, we are a fishing boat crew with a well known skipper you enjoys the teasing, boredom and loneliness not to mention heavy weather makes us do strage things how is the weather there in the garret ? Will mention your concern to himsel at some stage the morra