Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Happyhonkaman Happyhonkaman is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 17,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youghal Exile View Post
Im planning to spend two weeks in that part of the world.I know a bit about Moscow already.I've done a good a bit of reading about it.I've already decided what hotels i want to stay in but sure any advice from any of the well traveled people on here can do no harm!Both these cities seem to be nice enough it's just a shame about the archaic homopohobic laws over there.But i have very personal reasons for visiting Russia and this is something that i just have to do.
Before you go anywhere near Russia - I presume you have sorted the visa etc? You require that a hotel/hostel etc 'invite' you to the country to get this processed as far as I remember. It isn't difficult to sort and its a racket but needs to be done nonetheless. Russia is unbelievably corrupt so make sure there are absolutely no holes in your documentation.

As for Russia itself, first off St Petersburg is one of my favourite cities I have been to BUT you need to watch yourself there.. the cops are corrupt, you cannot approach them about anything which always feels a bit uneasy, I was also advised to stay away from taxis. Its just one of those places you needs your wits about you and if you are a bit uneasy then I'm not sure how it will work out for you - the scale of the place is mind blowing though and some seriously cool clubs in bunkers etc. History is all around you and fascinating stuff to see

When I was there the signs were all in cyrillic only which made reading maps/street signs etc really difficult, I think they may have our alphabet now which would make things much easier

Russia is also massively polarised between rich and poor so eating etc is an interesting challenge - you have a choice between eating local food for nothing and putting up with woeful veg etc with really good fish, or upper end restaurants that cost a fortune and are more westernised.

From reading your posts I could imagine you enjoying somewhere else more TBH
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Sullivan Sullivan is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 995
Default

Never been there but heard so much stories about it. Nothing except the great architecture is good. Pickpockets are everywhere and corrupt policeman. Beware of taxis, they are overpriced. It'd be better if you know someone from there or if you're with a Russian.
__________________
Sully, not the bully.
Sports fanatic, SBOBET writer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Eoin Eoin is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 30,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
From reading your posts I could imagine you enjoying somewhere else more TBH
I'd be genuinely worried for Youghalie if he went to Moscow tbh.

He can barely cope with O'Connell st ffs.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-10-2015, 03:43 PM
delzer delzer is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls
Posts: 44,333
Default

Agreed on the cops they will harass you for your passport if you stand out as a tourist.

Taxis are a rip off but numerous times I stopped and stuck my hand out and a local would pick me up. Granted this wasn't the safest thing to do but didn't have any print. Just told them where I wanted to go and agreed a price.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-10-2015, 04:04 AM
Youghal Exile Youghal Exile is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Land Of 123 All Irelands
Posts: 26,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
Before you go anywhere near Russia - I presume you have sorted the visa etc? You require that a hotel/hostel etc 'invite' you to the country to get this processed as far as I remember. It isn't difficult to sort and its a racket but needs to be done nonetheless. Russia is unbelievably corrupt so make sure there are absolutely no holes in your documentation.

As for Russia itself, first off St Petersburg is one of my favourite cities I have been to BUT you need to watch yourself there.. the cops are corrupt, you cannot approach them about anything which always feels a bit uneasy, I was also advised to stay away from taxis. Its just one of those places you needs your wits about you and if you are a bit uneasy then I'm not sure how it will work out for you - the scale of the place is mind blowing though and some seriously cool clubs in bunkers etc. History is all around you and fascinating stuff to see

When I was there the signs were all in cyrillic only which made reading maps/street signs etc really difficult, I think they may have our alphabet now which would make things much easier

Russia is also massively polarised between rich and poor so eating etc is an interesting challenge - you have a choice between eating local food for nothing and putting up with woeful veg etc with really good fish, or upper end restaurants that cost a fortune and are more westernised.

From reading your posts I could imagine you enjoying somewhere else more TBH
I know about how infamously corrupt Russian cops are.The general consensus i seem to get are that Russia's two main cities are safe enough so long as common sense is applied.When you say keep you're wits about you are you just talking about thieves and muggers on the prowl?Well im not so thick that i walk around the place flashing my wallet and finest gold watch around!It would mean a lot to me to see both these cities because of a very personal reason that's close to my heart but you have been to Russia and you seem to be implying that's it not a place you go to unless you know what you are in for and are ready for it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundyfield View Post
Sean Og pure Norrie, pure Cork, and pure class. Red&Blue has made an absolute flute of himself again.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-10-2015, 08:42 AM
Happyhonkaman Happyhonkaman is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 17,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youghal Exile View Post
I know about how infamously corrupt Russian cops are.The general consensus i seem to get are that Russia's two main cities are safe enough so long as common sense is applied.When you say keep you're wits about you are you just talking about thieves and muggers on the prowl?Well im not so thick that i walk around the place flashing my wallet and finest gold watch around!It would mean a lot to me to see both these cities because of a very personal reason that's close to my heart but you have been to Russia and you seem to be implying that's it not a place you go to unless you know what you are in for and are ready for it.
Not meaning to be overly dramatic, I walked all over (and stupidly across St Petersburg alone and pissed one night) and I had no hassle, but I also got lucky and met a great guide there at the beginning and he kept us on the straight and narrow with some good advice. It's just not the kind of place you feel that the locals etc are happy to help you out and look out for you in general.. And there's just something uneasy about being in a country where you feel you cannot go to the cops, their 'justice' system is completely fucked up so you cannot end up in any situation really (overcrowded jail first, figure out if you were innocent later)

I know of a fella that was out at the Ireland/Russia match a few yeas back and he was brought into a room 'for questioning' by the airport police, gun stuck to his head and all of his money taken.

The lads at the borders are apes and it's totally OTT, so just make sure your visa etc is in order and give them no excuse

Having said all of the above St Petersburg is an incredible place and really worth seeing, not sure about Moscow
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Happyhonkaman Happyhonkaman is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 17,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
I'd be genuinely worried for Youghalie if he went to Moscow tbh.

He can barely cope with O'Connell st ffs.
Yeah, if O Connell St has him freaked then Russia ain't the answer
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-10-2015, 09:03 AM
mayday mayday is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 16,058
Default

Better off going here Youghalie I'd say........

https://www.trabolgan.com

Peppa Pig is doing an afternoon show all through October.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-10-2015, 08:28 PM
CaptainSensible CaptainSensible is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
Not meaning to be overly dramatic, I walked all over (and stupidly across St Petersburg alone and pissed one night) and I had no hassle, but I also got lucky and met a great guide there at the beginning and he kept us on the straight and narrow with some good advice. It's just not the kind of place you feel that the locals etc are happy to help you out and look out for you in general.. And there's just something uneasy about being in a country where you feel you cannot go to the cops, their 'justice' system is completely fucked up so you cannot end up in any situation really (overcrowded jail first, figure out if you were innocent later)

I know of a fella that was out at the Ireland/Russia match a few yeas back and he was brought into a room 'for questioning' by the airport police, gun stuck to his head and all of his money taken.

The lads at the borders are apes and it's totally OTT, so just make sure your visa etc is in order and give them no excuse

Having said all of the above St Petersburg is an incredible place and really worth seeing, not sure about Moscow
It's nothing personal that is also the way they behave towards each other, it's more a case of they don't get involved in anything they perceive to have nothing to do with them. So will they help you out, not really but also unlikely to beat the living tar out of you.

Youghalie don't believe all the negativity, the women are for the most part a huge step up from what you get here and in Moscow the level of English is actually quite good but whether they reply to you in English or not will depend on what they think of you. The thing about Russian women is they are very proud so don't make any comparisons about we have this in the west etc also don't take the piss out of them or they take it personally and not in the manner you intended but by all means take the piss out of other people they love that, I'd also suggest learning a few Polish jokes, they hate the Poles. Also they like men to take the lead so don't ask one of them something like "where would you like to go?" instead you tell her where ye will meet and if all is going well no need to pussy foot around like chatting all night just ask the question and more likely than not the answer will be "About time you asked, I thought you were fucking gay!!"
Happy hunting kid.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-10-2015, 04:09 AM
Youghal Exile Youghal Exile is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Land Of 123 All Irelands
Posts: 26,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
Not meaning to be overly dramatic, I walked all over (and stupidly across St Petersburg alone and pissed one night) and I had no hassle, but I also got lucky and met a great guide there at the beginning and he kept us on the straight and narrow with some good advice. It's just not the kind of place you feel that the locals etc are happy to help you out and look out for you in general.. And there's just something uneasy about being in a country where you feel you cannot go to the cops, their 'justice' system is completely fucked up so you cannot end up in any situation really (overcrowded jail first, figure out if you were innocent later)

I know of a fella that was out at the Ireland/Russia match a few yeas back and he was brought into a room 'for questioning' by the airport police, gun stuck to his head and all of his money taken.

The lads at the borders are apes and it's totally OTT, so just make sure your visa etc is in order and give them no excuse

Having said all of the above St Petersburg is an incredible place and really worth seeing, not sure about Moscow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
It's nothing personal that is also the way they behave towards each other, it's more a case of they don't get involved in anything they perceive to have nothing to do with them. So will they help you out, not really but also unlikely to beat the living tar out of you.

Youghalie don't believe all the negativity, the women are for the most part a huge step up from what you get here and in Moscow the level of English is actually quite good but whether they reply to you in English or not will depend on what they think of you. The thing about Russian women is they are very proud so don't make any comparisons about we have this in the west etc also don't take the piss out of them or they take it personally and not in the manner you intended but by all means take the piss out of other people they love that, I'd also suggest learning a few Polish jokes, they hate the Poles. Also they like men to take the lead so don't ask one of them something like "where would you like to go?" instead you tell her where ye will meet and if all is going well no need to pussy foot around like chatting all night just ask the question and more likely than not the answer will be "About time you asked, I thought you were fucking gay!!"
Happy hunting kid.
Thank's lad's.I'll bear all that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
Better off going here Youghalie I'd say........

https://www.trabolgan.com

Peppa Pig is doing an afternoon show all through October.
If you have nothing useful or helpful to say then i suggest you kindly fuck off.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundyfield View Post
Sean Og pure Norrie, pure Cork, and pure class. Red&Blue has made an absolute flute of himself again.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.