Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 19-05-2015, 08:11 PM
strict66 strict66 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 17,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
We're all aware that people if these islands want peace, you and I included.

What I'm trying to find out is if anyone knows who are the people working behind the scenes to make it all happen, nearly independently of either Government in Ireland or Britain? Because I think it's fair to say that no matter who's in Government in either country these Royal visits etc would be going ahead.
Era I'd hazard a guess that the Royals have some sort of PR staff whose job includes inventing some sort of schedule for them every year with the goal of keeping them in the press or public eye i.e. some sort of justification for the millions spent keeping them on every year. The Royals are essentially an organic tourist attraction. Paddy is never one to turn down a few bob so if they can join dots between some Royal showing up here and a few tourist pounds then they are all for it.

The Queen's visit was worth a few bob 4 yrs ago and much like say Garth Brooks and Michael Flately gigs expect to see that horse flogged absolutely to death for the foreseeable future for some time yet.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 19-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Stacky Stacky is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
We're all aware that people if these islands want peace, you and I included.

What I'm trying to find out is if anyone knows who are the people working behind the scenes to make it all happen, nearly independently of either Government in Ireland or Britain? Because I think it's fair to say that no matter who's in Government in either country these Royal visits etc would be going ahead.
Who cares ?

Good PR for Ireland and the old fella who is waiting for his Mother to keel over so he can fill her shoes
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 19-05-2015, 09:11 PM
CORKBHOY CORKBHOY is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 51,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Who cares ?

Good PR for Ireland and the old fella who is waiting for his Mother to keel over so he can fill her shoes
Who cares?

Obviously you do enough to participate in the conversation about it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 19-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Duffs Duffs is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,722
Default

Did anyone else notice in the video that Gerry Adams bows his head twice to his future Monarch? Nothing like knowing your place eh Gerry?

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 19-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Stacky Stacky is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
Who cares?

Obviously you do enough to participate in the conversation about it.
It is only a bit of banter.

Who seriously cares about this really ?

It is a distraction on a slow news day and all just pr
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 19-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Corcaigh32 Corcaigh32 is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Corcaigh
Posts: 31,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
I thought that you would have picked up on 1690 ?
My mistake. One counter reference.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 19-05-2015, 09:36 PM
CORKBHOY CORKBHOY is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 51,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
It is only a bit of banter.

Who seriously cares about this really ?

It is a distraction on a slow news day and all just pr
Cheers for that, Stack.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 20-05-2015, 01:19 PM
johnmcork johnmcork is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
Who are the driving forces behind the continued Anglo-Irish relations, namely they British Royal family and Irish Government/Sinn Fein love in, for want of a better phrase.

The most recent, but probably the most popular, examples being Queen Elizabeth visit to Ireland and wreath laying. Martin McGuinness' appearance at Buckingham Palace for dinner and Prince Charles' visit to Sligo and handshake with Gerry Adams.

There's obviously a group of diplomats working behind the scenes to choreograph all of these public shows of some sort of reconciliation. But who exactly are these people and in what form does their decision making process take place?
This warrants severe protest.

Have you all forgotten that it was the queen who shot Michael Collins in Co. Belfast during the famine of 1916?

Have you all forgotten that the Queens Park Rangers are still patrolling Longford and Monaghan and the rest of the 8 counties?

Shame on you ALL!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 20-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Corcaigh32 Corcaigh32 is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Corcaigh
Posts: 31,091
Default

Queen was barely born when Collins was shot and she certainly wasn't in Ireland.
Collins was shot in west Cork. Not Belfast. Same country different county
Famine was in the 1840's not 1916.

No wonder they were relegated from the premiership if QPR are patrolling all the counties in the North and Longford and Monaghan.

I get your point obviously........... I personally see no reason why they should be visiting. But per my earlier posts in the thread it shows how far things have come, because I am sure it would not have been contemplated 20 years ago. Bear in mind Duffs and crew think Adams is the devil incarnate, you'd have thought they would be foaming and parading up and down the streets of the country - sashes optional.

( - did I get it right? )
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 20-05-2015, 01:53 PM
johnmcork johnmcork is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
Queen was barely born when Collins was shot and she certainly wasn't in Ireland.
Collins was shot in west Cork. Not Belfast. Same country different county
Famine was in the 1840's not 1916.

No wonder they were relegated from the premiership if QPR are patrolling all the counties in the North and Longford and Monaghan.

I get your point obviously........... I personally see no reason why they should be visiting. But per my earlier posts in the thread it shows how far things have come, because I am sure it would not have been contemplated 20 years ago. Bear in mind Duffs and crew think Adams is the devil incarnate, you'd have thought they would be foaming and parading up and down the streets of the country - sashes optional.

( - did I get it right? )
Really?
That's weird - because Charlie visited Ireland in 1995...
...exactly 20 years ago by my calculation

(*Granted I don't have an understanding of Sinn Féin Mathematics which of course are completely different from the long established and more generally used - actual Mathematics that disallow such things as spending vast amounts of money you don't have etc.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.