Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 08-02-2018, 07:23 PM

As I understand it, Cork County Council has three divisions: West Cork (based in Skibbereen), North Cork (based in Mallow) and South Cork (based in the County Hall). South Cork covers East Cork as well.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 PM
Banned

City council doing a super job at the moment , should be running the country these folk. PANA deserted.
Old 13-04-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie View Post
City council doing a super job at the moment , should be running the country these folk. PANA deserted.
Cork people completely overreacting to minor change shocker
Old 13-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyumyum View Post
Cork people completely overreacting to minor change shocker
How exactly is the banning of vehicles through Patrick Street for 1/3 of the working day, each and every day, for the first time in its 200 odd years history a "minor change"
Old 13-04-2018, 01:29 PM

It's outrageous. I usually like to park outside Dunnes on Pana of a Tuesday afternoon to do my shopping. What am I supposed to do now?
Old 13-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Banned

The blocking of Patrick St [ the main road in the city connecting north to south has created havoc elsewhere . Should not have been done until proper alternatives were in place.
Old 13-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Who drives down Patrick St anyway?

Massive overeaction as usual.

3 hours a day FFS
Old 15-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Banned

From Facebook page of city centre trader.

I fully agree with Eddie Mullins on his points here. Months ago Alf Smiddy proposed an investment fund and strategy for the city. However that has fallen on deaf ears. Eddie Mullins is correct and jobs will be lost in our city centre outlets as a result of these changes. One business owner told me yesterday that since the changes took effect his takings from 1pm to 5pm daily are down 90%. This is completely unsustainable at a time when businesses are only creeping back from 10 years of hardship. While I believe the strategy that Cork City Council are seeking to implement for the city centre is a good one, it’s piecemeal model of implementation is ill thought out on its consequences and it’s inability to invest in a proper marketing plan for the city is biting the hand that feeds it. I believe the comments of the CE of Cork City Council Ann Doherty on ‘negative comments damaging the city’s image’ are unhelpful in the circumstances that she has put city traders in. The CE has been in her role for close to 4 years now and as the city trader whose business in down hugely in the past few weeks said ‘she needs to prove that she understands how businesses work, how wages have to be paid and how every Friday the buck stops with me as the business owner on whether we can open tomorrow’. This is a very real situation I believe for most of the independent business owners in the city and if we all stand idly by and don’t help them now in their time of need, we will see the fallout before long
Old 15-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Banned

My views by "Oppidum Cive Exspiravit"

Parking Spaces in the City Centre.
From Morrisson's Island behind No. 1 South Mall (passport office) to the eastern corner of the College of Commerce on Catherine Street there are 70 parking spaces.
From Catherine Street heading westward to the corner of Father Mathew Street where RTE is situated there are 37 parking spaces plus the Coca-Cola bike parking bay.
From there along Father Mathew Quay there are 45 parking spaces.

Head over Parliament Bridge onto Sullivan's Quay and the 20 parking spaces have just been permanently removed outside the former Tax Office building which is currently being demolished.

Head to White Street between Douglas Street and Georges Quay and currently there are 87 parking spaces on the ground level carpark. These spaces are occupied by the general public and holders of resident parking permits who live in the immediate area. Now a high-rise social housing project is to be constructed on this site.

So, if we do the sums:
Total spaces lost Morrisson's Island to Fr. Mathew Quay = 152 parking spaces.
Total spaces lost Sullivan's Quay = 20.
Total spaces lost White Street = 87.

THAT GIVES US A TOTAL OF 259 LOST AND PRESUMABLY GONE FOREVER PARKING SPACES.

In my opinion no business small or large can continue trading in the city centre under these conditions. We will probably see staff being put on shorter working hours which eventually may create unemployment caused by the lack of customers due to the loss of parking spaces.

That's enough for today. I am not addressing the new TRAFFIC MAZE or the damage to TOURISM which is the country's second biggest industry...... Yes tourists will come to Ireland, but unfortunately they will probably avoid Cork City.
Old 15-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Senior PROC Member

But the leeches who frequent and are employed by the City Council have their own free car park.
So no effect on them.