Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Users Ads & Discussion > Motors
User Name
Password

Old 27-11-2014, 07:34 PM

Default car recommendations

Long story short, my Corolla was written off. What car would ye recommend getting? Have about €8k to spend. I do about 150 miles a week. Was looking for diesels but a mechanic buddy of mine says when things go wrong with them they're very costly.
Old 27-11-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance uppercut View Post
Long story short, my Corolla was written off. What car would ye recommend getting? Have about €8k to spend. I do about 150 miles a week. Was looking for diesels but a mechanic buddy of mine says when things go wrong with them they're very costly.
A diesel must be serviced regularly. Oil and filters, I have a 02 avensis and never had 1 bit of bother with it , I get a full service every 7k miles , only failed nct once on lights being to high , look after a diesel and it will look after you
Old 13-12-2014, 09:35 PM

You need to do the miles to own a diesel, otherwise you'll have injector issues ,partical filter issues and you'll be replacing turbos. Diesel cars are more expensive to buy and to maintain, they are cheaper on fuel. And are worse pollution wise for humans anyway, or be it lower on C02
Old 16-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Yup.

Sister has a 5 year old Mondeo diesel.

Engine effectively blew up. Cost her 6k.
Old 23-12-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Another Toyota .
Old 24-12-2014, 08:07 PM

I'd get a e46 m3 , your mileage is low so go for something daycent
Old 03-01-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang_Sandwich View Post
I'd get a e46 m3 , your mileage is low so go for something daycent
The OP has €8,000 to spend. He/she had better have another €8,000 to spend on repairs, if she buys a BMW for €8,000
Old 05-01-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulgorm View Post
The OP has €8,000 to spend. He/she had better have another €8,000 to spend on repairs, if she buys a BMW for €8,000
Nonsense, you'd get a very clean 2002 m3 for that, if you know what to look for
Old 05-01-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang_Sandwich View Post
Nonsense, you'd get a very clean 2002 m3 for that, if you know what to look for
The OP was thinking of getting a diesel but was worried about maintenance costs and you suggest an M3 that does about 20miles to the gallon and with roadtax just under 2grand?

with 8grand you'd pick up a decent 2008 1.9tdi golf with low road tax
Old 10-01-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Your diesel mechanic is correct, but there's no comparison between diesel and petrol in the price range you are looking at. I would rather buy a small engine diesel than most petrols (unless above 2.0L). Why? a small petrol wouldn't pull the fat off a chip, whereas even most modern turbo diesels (1.3 and above) have bags of torque/better fun to drive and are more economical.