Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Tomorrow , the divisions are taking their respective A & B squads U13 - 16 ( weather permitting , I suppose ).

Whisper it - are we finally starting to get our act together ?
http://www.rebelog.ie/news/294249/Sq...sion_cancelled
Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 PM

This is according to one of the lad's on Rebel GAA just in case im blamed for giving out wrong information!

Cork minor selection play Youghal Saturday 2pm in magners hill Youghal.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youghal Exile View Post
This is according to one of the lad's on Rebel GAA just in case im blamed for giving out wrong information!

Cork minor selection play Youghal Saturday 2pm in magners hill Youghal.
Will be at this match today ,heard there are a couple of suspect players after makin the panel going to see for myself,
Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 PM

Any report on the minor game
Old 11-01-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roversfan View Post
Any report on the minor game
Won by two points Youghal only played only a hand full of first team players ,funny to see so many killeagh players on the minor team today Landers is pulling a few strings me think.
Old 13-01-2014, 09:56 PM

There could be some good news on the horizon!

Quote:
An interesting boxed item at one corner of the Michael Moynihan column on back of the Monday Sports section in the Examiner today. It reads:

"Yours truly understands an announcement is imminent from Cork GAA about the development squads it runs in the county.

"Furthermore, it is our understanding that several former All-Ireland winners have been persuaded to get involved in running said squads, raising the profiler of the operation and making available to the youngsters involved some of the vast expertise within the county. A guarantee of future success? No. A step in the right direction for the most successful county in the GAA? Very much so.

"Interesting times ahead."

I post this in the hurling section because obviously hurling is what he has in mind. It features a photo of Sean Og O'hAilpin, with the caption: Former All-Ireland winners like Sean Og O'hAilpin could soon become involved in Cork development teams.

Better late than never, I suppose.
Old 24-01-2014, 11:01 PM

From Boards.ie.

Quote:
thinkstoomuch1: Im always amazed when people try to complicate a problem that doesnt exist.Winning at minor and u21 isnt straighforward.

I dont buy that,its not very straightforward. to win at minor.Again like every article I have read mentions,urban population,talent,mo ney ,but no one has yet mentioned coaching how young coaches must be developed,and how as times proved,coaches with good records are being overlooked for lads with no records.

Nothing changed in the blink of an eye with cork u21 football from 2003 to 2004 when we became a huge force at u21.That team had even lost some of the minor all ireland winning team,yet we had tony leahy and cleary,and it made a huge impact.

I saw the cork minors last night play a full strength harty cup ard scoil and win 3-14 to 0-13,our
r second string side,as a lot were rested,or injured,or harty cup,yet the talent was superb.

From going to a lot of games,there is no huge difference in talent to last and this year,bar michael cahalane and horgan made us stronger talent wise,but this team has a serious chance as they are the best prepared set up I saw in years.

Honestly,from warm up,to warm down,to style of play ,they are four months in ,but have a lot of great work done.

Landers and ring and o dywer etc are doing a super job.If its not this year ,i do believe this set up before the 2 year is up,will win an all ireland.
A lot of last nights team are eligble next year once they dont reduce the age limit to below 17 at minor.

Speaking of Ard Scoil they played a very good,great workout for both teams ,against the Cork Minors last night on a cold damp eveining.They had all the big guns,Morey,Galvin,O Hallorhan,,Mike Casey corner back senior Na Piarsaigh v Portumna soon, and Clare likey u21 Barry Fitzpatrick etc.

There taking the Harty game with Hamitlon seriously,as from what I could tell, I think,English,O Brien and Brown were there.

Cork had a lot of the 45 panel missing for various reasons,club games ,etc but gave great account of themselves,won around 3-16 to 13 points in a great game.Ard Scoil have an eye on the Harty Cup,but they will be happy with the workout.

Biliy Dunne was maganifcent .2-1,a joy to behold with Eoghan Kinery superb. from play,won loads of clean aerial ball ,and strong running ,and like I said 4 months ago ,when I saw him at the u17 All Ireland,this guy from killeagh St Itas is a serious ,prospect,loads of hurling,similar to Seamus Harnedy,the way he plays..He scored some lovely points.He is strong,fast ,mobile,works so hard and is very brave.

Darren Casey was superb ,like he was against Doon last week in the Harty cup at midfield,and Browne on both the football panel as well,had a great game.Diramuid Buckley at left half back,was very good,and got a good goal also.

This was a Cork team with loads missing yet the hurling and touch in heavy rain was super ,and this team played super intelligent hurling.We have lovely hurlers and always had in Cork .We have an abundance of super goalkeepers at all levels.Dalton was superb,and Patrick Collins u21 keeper last year is minor this year also and probably the starting keeper,but Dalton is some keeper.

Like I said ,Cork with Ring and Landers would be superbly trained and a serious team.They are that ,and when a lot of other come back ,they have the makings of a very good side.There is some super talent at cork at underage.A lot of lads that played tonight are underage next year once they dont change the age limit at minor,and whatever happens this year,I am extremely confident Landers and Ring will deliver an All ireland Minor to Cork before there term is up.You see unlike other teams where you hope they do well,this set up ,I have a belief ,and confidence in the set up,because as a whole ,with management and talent availble ,it is as good as anything else where in the Country.

I have seen Limerick minors train many times with Wallis and Cregan ,and saw them in challenge matches,particulary against Mary 1,where they annilhated them .They are a serious test away from home for Cork,and have around 10 of last years team,should we meet in the semifinal,but I have seen nothing between both squads to suggest Cork can't win ,or Limerick are ahead of us in preparation.
They cut there panel last week I believe.If that game materilases between the Treaty and Rebel County,it is a Must see for any Hurling fan,as it has the makings of a thriller.Watching young lads play,there is always a freedom of spirit an elgance to their play.

The Cork Minor team is just 4 months in but have done super work ,and they will get better.A tough job to cut that panel to around 30 or whatever they decide ,when it is done next week as they are some talent on that panel,and its hard to predict what it will be.

That team was missing a load,yet the hurling touch ,and speed of play was good,as was the cohesion and understanding and team play amongst them.
Old 25-01-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youghal Exile View Post
From Boards.ie.
I'm not inclined to agree with ttm version of events or player evaluation

Firstly Ard Scoil were missing their key players in Cian and Ronan Lynch, a significant loss to their team

The two challenges during the week saw under strength cork teams take on harty semi finalists and you expect them to triumph with hurlers in all positions

I've been disappointed with some of this years 17s from whom great things are expected

I think a lot of work has gone into this group - challenges and sessions and all on individual programmes apparently - but sadly last years group were flying too and it all unravelled weeks before the waterford game - I hope this years management manages better

I'm hopefull this crop of players will drive on and be competitive but I don't share ttm rose tinted glasses
Old 25-01-2014, 05:47 AM

Any chance Dalton will play further out the pitch.
Old 25-01-2014, 05:48 AM

Also, is it just my imagination or did they take down the development squad listings for both codes from the Cork GAA website?