Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Kelleher has been injured for the past while, he would be starting otherwise.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post
It will be interesting to see how the minor hurlers go tomorrow night lads as it has been said that this years crop is the first minor team to come through what they would consider in RebelOg to be the "full" development squad system - i.e. they changed the structure of this a few years ago. Last year in a way they gambled as they made a decision to blood a number of 17 year olds so that there would be continuity into this year and we are now seeing 7 or 8 lads involved who were there last year which is a very good thing in terms of experience and know-how. Putting it simply if a team who has won U14, U15, U16 and U17 All Ireland titles on their route through the Cork develeopment system can't make a serious impression on this years minor championship then I would say we have a serious problem and are back to the drawing board. It's an absolutely huge game for Cork hurling.

However two things give me some confidence that we at last have a serious bunch of players : (1) I spoke with a Dublin development coach a few weeks ago who told me the Cork team were by far the best they had played this year and he was strongly tipping them to go all the way and (2) if this lad Kelleher from Sars can only make the bench we must have some team.

We should get behing them in numbers tomorrow night lads as this is no ordinary minor championship game.
I think the performances of our minor and u21 teams this year is more important than the seniors although hopefully the seniors will have a decent championship.I just hope the young lad's are not feeling any extra pressure because the Cork hurling public (myself included) are desperate to see some underage age success.I remember reading Michael Moynihans intro to Blood Brothers.He was talking about Anthony Daly raising the McCarthy cup in the hogan stand and behind him there was a Cork supporter waving a Cork flag.That supporter was there to see the Cork minors win the all ireland.It was a very symbolic moment Clare and Offaly were the two best teams in Ireland that time but that Cork flag flying behind Anthony Dalys head was signalling what was about to come!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post
It will be interesting to see how the minor hurlers go tomorrow night lads as it has been said that this years crop is the first minor team to come through what they would consider in RebelOg to be the "full" development squad system - i.e. they changed the structure of this a few years ago. Last year in a way they gambled as they made a decision to blood a number of 17 year olds so that there would be continuity into this year and we are now seeing 7 or 8 lads involved who were there last year which is a very good thing in terms of experience and know-how. Putting it simply if a team who has won U14, U15, U16 and U17 All Ireland titles on their route through the Cork develeopment system can't make a serious impression on this years minor championship then I would say we have a serious problem and are back to the drawing board. It's an absolutely huge game for Cork hurling.

However two things give me some confidence that we at last have a serious bunch of players : (1) I spoke with a Dublin development coach a few weeks ago who told me the Cork team were by far the best they had played this year and he was strongly tipping them to go all the way and (2) if this lad Kelleher from Sars can only make the bench we must have some team.

We should get behing them in numbers tomorrow night lads as this is no ordinary minor championship game.

You are right RHB

I have seen a lot of this team over the years and they are well able to hurl and physically strong

Frank Flannery has done great work with them and they have prepared well - the stars of the team will have been stung by last years defeats and I hope their confidence won't be adversely affect if they have to dig deep

IHave one criticism of the set up but I will wait to see how game pans out tomorrow

We need the win and we need support ( wholehearted as opposed to grudging)

Sticky is on the verge of being ready but just not match fit I think but Alan O Callaghan is a big loss

Here's hoping for a good win and then the opportunity to drive on and be injury free for semis

CorkCork Cork Cork Cork Cork Cork
Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 PM
PROC Member

Agree 100% with your comment about wholehearted support - there is a lot of negativity in some quarters but we need to vote with our feet and make Pairc Ui Rinn an intimidating place for these Clare lads tomorrow night - you can be sure if the game was in Ennis the Clare crowd would be out for blood. Hopefully round 1 of a double against Clare this week lads !!

If this team can deliver then maybe we will see a huge knock-on effect on the entire Development system in Cork. Success breeds success. Come on the Rebels !!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:28 PM

Great win for the minors. Hopefully will plant the seeds for greater success this year and in years to come.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCorkHurlingML View Post
Great win for the minors. Hopefully will plant the seeds for greater success this year and in years to come.
great win - lets now hope that instead of clapping themselves on the back regarding the development squad system that the co board now look to keep learning and continue to tweak it and improve it in order to push us ahead of the pack again at underage level - like we used to be. At least the group they thought had big potential i.e. this years minors, have shown that the faith was justified but they have won nothing yet. BTW I heard that Dublin minors played Clare in a challenge game a few weeks ago and got hammered so this is encouraging given the huge money and resources being ploughed into underage GAA in Dublin
Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turenne View Post
Not to worry Ben, I'm sure we'll put our first team out for this one, being a final and all.
Midleton CBS 3.18 Christians 0.04
Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 PM

Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Midleton CBS 3.18 Christians 0.04
Very , very good performance by the Midleton boys . Do not be deceived by the score , this was a strong Christians side with plenty of solid decent players . All of the 1-15 of the CBC side were from Premier 1 Clubs , but were just blown away by Midleton when they settled .

Midleton squad of 30 featured a solid core from Midleton , Fr O'Neills , Kiltha Og as well as Carrig , Lisgoold , Rusell Rovers and Erins Own

Sean O'Leary ( MIdleton ) at Centre Back and Liam Gosnell ( Carrig ) , Midfield , were the pick of a powerful outfit . Very impressive . Keep an eye on some of these fellas
Old 12-04-2013, 11:42 PM
PROC Member

Yeah Midleton far too strong physically but their hurling was top class too - very good side and well coached. Many of these lads played with Imokilly in the U14 development blitz over Easter where they were equally impressive. CBC competed to the end but lacked the scoring threat and necessary physicality. Great to see them progressing though and long may it continue