Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-04-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghabullogue 1890 View Post
CBC playing hurling those Rugby wankers will go nuts. Fair play to the brave hurling coach up there
Dont worry. I'm sure you'll be washing the club kit when its on.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turenne View Post
CBC have plenty of good hurlers these days. Besides the city lads, they have loads of Sarsfields lads starting, plus a lad from Midleton (if I'm thinking of the right group).

Of course we will hammer them.

As far as I know , the early rounds of this competition were played on a round-robin basis , and these two sides were in the same group . The group game was played in Midleton and ended in a draw .
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 AM
PROC Member

You are correct Ben - they drew in Midleton in the round robin but CBC played the last 20 minutes with 14 men after one of their players was harshly sent off. Midleton will probably be slight favourites on Friday night but CBC have representatives from Sars, Douglas, Barrs, Piarsaigh, Glen, Erins Own, Midleton & Mallow on this team - all Premier 1 U14 teams. Most of these lads would have been involved in the Divisional U14 development Blitz over Easter also, along with the Midleton CBS lads so there should be some good talent on display. Rumour has it that CBC intend to seriously challenge in hurling over the next few years and that it will even be treated as seriously as the rugby which has to be a good thing for Cork given the size of the school. This is a historic achievement for them to get to an A-grade final so hopefully they will do themselves justice though Midleton have the potential to rack up a big score.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM

I've seen that CBC team play and they are have a good team with a good spread of talent alright - I imagine it will take a good team to beat them

CBC only pay lip service to hurling so unless there has been a change of policy I doubt they will nurture any talent - there was plenty of talent languished there over the years while the rugby players were being adored

I saw the u14 inter divisional hurling and football blitzes over Easter - some of these kids are bigger and bigger - plenty of talent out there - it would just be great if someone was brave enough to take the bull by the horns
Old 09-04-2013, 11:27 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indenetprovider View Post
I've seen that CBC team play and they are have a good team with a good spread of talent alright - I imagine it will take a good team to beat them

CBC only pay lip service to hurling so unless there has been a change of policy I doubt they will nurture any talent - there was plenty of talent languished there over the years while the rugby players were being adored

I saw the u14 inter divisional hurling and football blitzes over Easter - some of these kids are bigger and bigger - plenty of talent out there - it would just be great if someone was brave enough to take the bull by the horns

I was also amazed at the size of some of the lads at the Blitz - overall there was quite a lot of talent in both hurling & football but it's all relative I guess - one mentor told me they are not too bothered about size at U14 because these lads are all growing at different paces which makes sense so they are looking at the bigger picture but I'm sure size will start to become a factor from U15 onwards
Old 09-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
As far as I know , the early rounds of this competition were played on a round-robin basis , and these two sides were in the same group . The group game was played in Midleton and ended in a draw .
Not to worry Ben, I'm sure we'll put our first team out for this one, being a final and all.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post
I was also amazed at the size of some of the lads at the Blitz - overall there was quite a lot of talent in both hurling & football but it's all relative I guess - one mentor told me they are not too bothered about size at U14 because these lads are all growing at different paces which makes sense so they are looking at the bigger picture but I'm sure size will start to become a factor from U15 onwards
Skill should always be the priority.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post
You are correct Ben - they drew in Midleton in the round robin but CBC played the last 20 minutes with 14 men after one of their players was harshly sent off. Midleton will probably be slight favourites on Friday night but CBC have representatives from Sars, Douglas, Barrs, Piarsaigh, Glen, Erins Own, Midleton & Mallow on this team - all Premier 1 U14 teams. Most of these lads would have been involved in the Divisional U14 development Blitz over Easter also, along with the Midleton CBS lads so there should be some good talent on display. Rumour has it that CBC intend to seriously challenge in hurling over the next few years and that it will even be treated as seriously as the rugby which has to be a good thing for Cork given the size of the school. This is a historic achievement for them to get to an A-grade final so hopefully they will do themselves justice though Midleton have the potential to rack up a big score.
All it takes is a couple of energetic teachers that like hurling and a principal that isn't dead set against the sport. Look at what is happening/happened at rugby schools like Ard Scoil Ris/Castletroy for example.

TBF its not as if CBC don't put out hurling teams year in year out at most grades.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turenne View Post
All it takes is a couple of energetic teachers that like hurling and a principal that isn't dead set against the sport. Look at what is happening/happened at rugby schools like Ard Scoil Ris/Castletroy for example.

TBF its not as if CBC don't put out hurling teams year in year out at most grades.
Castletroy College are 13 yrs in existence with one senior cup and maybe 2 junior cups - hurling and rugby are equally popular there at the moment - ard scoil have always had a tradition of hurling - neither if them are rugby schools in the tradition of CBC, Munchins, Rockwell Pres
Old 10-04-2013, 04:41 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indenetprovider View Post
Castletroy College are 13 yrs in existence with one senior cup and maybe 2 junior cups - hurling and rugby are equally popular there at the moment - ard scoil have always had a tradition of hurling - neither if them are rugby schools in the tradition of CBC, Munchins, Rockwell Pres
It will be interesting to see how the minor hurlers go tomorrow night lads as it has been said that this years crop is the first minor team to come through what they would consider in RebelOg to be the "full" development squad system - i.e. they changed the structure of this a few years ago. Last year in a way they gambled as they made a decision to blood a number of 17 year olds so that there would be continuity into this year and we are now seeing 7 or 8 lads involved who were there last year which is a very good thing in terms of experience and know-how. Putting it simply if a team who has won U14, U15, U16 and U17 All Ireland titles on their route through the Cork develeopment system can't make a serious impression on this years minor championship then I would say we have a serious problem and are back to the drawing board. It's an absolutely huge game for Cork hurling.

However two things give me some confidence that we at last have a serious bunch of players : (1) I spoke with a Dublin development coach a few weeks ago who told me the Cork team were by far the best they had played this year and he was strongly tipping them to go all the way and (2) if this lad Kelleher from Sars can only make the bench we must have some team.

We should get behing them in numbers tomorrow night lads as this is no ordinary minor championship game.