Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Users Ads & Discussion > Accommodation
User Name
Password

Old 16-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Default Small family moving to Cork

Hi,

I'm moving to Cork with my wife and one year old son from Toronto so I can study medicine at UCC. We could use some advice! What neighborhoods should we look at? We'd prefer to get by without a car. What websites are useful for finding apartments or houses for rent?
Also, any ideas for childcare? What resources/ options are available?

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 19-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Senior PROC Member

As regards renting try Daft.ie or MyHome.ie
Old 19-03-2013, 05:12 PM

The Model Village in Clonakilty may suit a "small" family.

Otherwise try Glasheen area of city where you could easily walk to U.C.C.

www.daft.ie
www.myhome.ie
www.rent.ie

best of luck
Old 05-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrgLethbridgeStewart View Post
Hi,

I'm moving to Cork with my wife and one year old son from Toronto so I can study medicine at UCC. We could use some advice! What neighborhoods should we look at? We'd prefer to get by without a car. What websites are useful for finding apartments or houses for rent?

I'd avoid the immediate area around UCC as it being student central it is also party central and probably not the best for a family.

Areas near by that are nice and are a walking distance from the city and UCC would be the likes of
Sundays Well
Friars Walk
Barracks St.
Glasheen
To name but a few. Cork City is quite small so it's quite possible to live central and not need a car. Public transport is relatively OK here.

Looking for a place your first port of call should be www.daft.ie

The standard form here is a deposit plus a months rent in advance and they generally ask for reference from employers etc. Renters market is pretty good here at the mo so don't be afraid to haggle on the rent.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrgLethbridgeStewart View Post
Hi,

Ballincollig is a suburban townland a couple of miles from UCC and its easy to cycle to and has a very regular bus service, as a father it has great schools good shopping areas and none of the trouble you might have if stuck living besides younger students. if you need any more help let me know
Old 10-06-2013, 04:59 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the help! I've got some good ideas now where to look. Getting excited for the move!!