Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 22-09-2012, 12:40 AM

Default Need help with computer crash?

Fecker won't start. Tis a Dell, OS is Vista (I know). The computer wont start and prompts start up repair with option to restore etc. I have tried all offered options but it still wont start up.

Any options or is it a dead duck?
Old 22-09-2012, 02:25 PM

Its easy to fix.worse scenario is broken hard drive.also fixable .get back if u need help.
Old 25-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeaddict View Post
Its easy to fix.worse scenario is broken hard drive.also fixable .get back if u need help.

Can be any number of things VL... you getting any other message other than the repair?
Old 25-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeaddict View Post
Old 25-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLab View Post
Fecker won't start. Tis a Dell, OS is Vista (I know). The computer wont start and prompts start up repair with option to restore etc. I have tried all offered options but it still wont start up.

Any options or is it a dead duck?
Try this;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/w...sked-questions

Or if you live in Cork and that doesn't work.... Smeggle ain't a 1000 miles away
Old 27-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggle View Post

Can be any number of things VL... you getting any other message other than the repair?
Thanks for reply Smeggle:

My OS is Vista with service pack 2: Although pack 2 didn't install correctly: Never does for some reason but never affected much thus far.

I'm running extensive tests prompted by the diagnostics tool and nothing appears to be wrong according to the tests. I'm running these tests at the moment and they are all coming up as ok / passed etc.

If it helps your diagnosis this is the process I am have gone through so far.

[B]Attempt 1:[/B]

1.1: At the start up screen the the message is: Bootable [Yes].
1.2: Message = Windows failed to start a recent hardware or software might be the cause of the promblem.
1.3: Tried launch recommended 'Start up repair': Result = Message [Start up repair cannot repair this computer automatically]

[B]Attempt 2:[/B]

System recovery options: Windows complete PC restore option selected: Result = Message [Cannot find back up on the hard disk].

Attempt 3:

System restore option: Selected scheduled restore point: OK: Result=Message= [System restore completed successfully, restart computer]. Result = Message= [Windows failed to start... etc].

[B]Attempt 4:[/B]

Press F8 = Choose OS to start. Vista is the only option. Same result as 1.2 i.e. failure to start.

[B]Attempt 5:[/B]

F12 on Start up.

Ran diagnostics: took about 45mins: Message =[No problems have been found with the system so far do you wish to continue diagnostics: Chose Y / yes.

Message= [Booting Dell diagnostic utility partition, press any key to continue].

Prompts Dialogue box options:
1: Test memory
2: Test System
3: Exit

Chose Test memory.

Message [Memory test started and running] Result =:
Stress: Pass
WCMATS:Pass
WC...: Pass
MATS: Pass
March B: Pass
XMATS32: Pass
WdPcMch: Pass
MarchS: Pass

Message=[Press any key to continue].

Now running a deep diagnostic but everything seems to be ok so far except for the none start up at 1.2.??

I don't have anything plugged in to the machine, No cds or dvds in the drives. I have had short spats like this before on the machine but usually the system repair option sorted it.

Any thoughts?
Old 27-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Senior PROC Member

Hello VL,

As much as I "ugh" Windows - try the following;

First try safe mode & last known good config.

When you are notified that startup repair cannot repair the computer, go into the system recovery/repair options.

Choose "Command prompt".

Once in, enter the following commands:

bootrec /fixmbr

followed by:

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Each entry should tell you "operation completed successfully". Now reboot the system and hopefully windows will boot normally.

If not time to take a day trip to Smeggle.
Old 27-09-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian83 View Post
Hello VL,

As much as I "ugh" Windows - try the following;

First try safe mode & last known good config.

When you are notified that startup repair cannot repair the computer, go into the system recovery/repair options.

Choose "Command prompt".

Once in, enter the following commands:

bootrec /fixmbr

followed by:

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Each entry should tell you "operation completed successfully". Now reboot the system and hopefully windows will boot normally.

If not time to take a day trip to Smeggle.
Thank you for that Corkonian, I'll try that and let you know what happens. At the moment my system is undergoing an 'Extended service test'. It looks like this will take all night. I'm fairly sure this will fail.

I suspect the boot is damaged so maybe your fix will work when I try it. If not then at least it is an indicator to another problem fix. Thanks again, I apprecitate your time on this.
Old 28-09-2012, 04:21 PM

If yours is a Dell then there should be a startup disk in the box it came in. Bung that in the drive and the machine should use that to start up. There will be additional diagnostic help / repair options available that way.

With deepest sympathy (it's a bugger when that happens)
De Bollix
Old 28-09-2012, 10:46 PM

Tried corkonians suggestion with no joy. I would guess that the boot start up is broken and that is that. The final option is the cd that dblx suggested, I'm looking for that now and I reckon that might be the answer. Thanks dblx. Rooting through my junk room now looking for the cd.

Appreciate all the help on this and hope that this process helps others with similar problems.