Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Music Forum
User Name
Password

Old 22-07-2012, 01:32 PM

john freakscene's take on the henry's night documented here:

http://wearenoise.com/index.php/2012...fore-the-fall/
Old 22-07-2012, 02:42 PM

amazing gig, smith was destroyed, love his wife!! the crowd were fantastic, great fun! who was the plonker up the front changing his clothes etc. think he got thrown out.
and proper poured stout in the pav, some venues around the city could learn a lesson from the staff there.
Old 22-07-2012, 03:26 PM

It was certainly...somethin g. I enjoyed it, immensely, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it was an outstanding performance, by any means. Instrumentally, the band executed things exquisitely; there was a great energy to it, as mirrored by the almost trip back to the past pit that erupted soon into it. But Smith, for all the intrigue and laughter he inspires, was a complete mess. Only a few of the lyrics were intelligible from what i could make out. I realise he was heavily inebriated, but a bum could have been dragged from Simon and the effect wouldn't have been much different. Rest of the band looks permanently on edge, too - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I concede, but something worth noting. I'm amazed Smith hasn't packed things in by now. All in all, though - I had fun, which is the main thing, I guess. Not sure I'd pay the same for same again, mind.
Old 22-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbish mouth breath View Post
amazing gig, smith was destroyed, love his wife!! the crowd were fantastic, great fun! who was the plonker up the front changing his clothes etc. think he got thrown out.
and proper poured stout in the pav, some venues around the city could learn a lesson from the staff there.
Was that the same fella who got up on stage and was hauled off by security?
Old 22-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar View Post
john freakscene's take on the henry's night documented here:

http://wearenoise.com/index.php/2012...fore-the-fall/
the fat cunt with the dog gets a mention -saw them the other day dog eating taytos
Old 22-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iancurtis View Post
Was that the same fella who got up on stage and was hauled off by security?
yeh,. he was outside after with the setlist.
Old 22-07-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyk View Post
It was certainly...somethin g. I enjoyed it, immensely, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it was an outstanding performance, by any means. Instrumentally, the band executed things exquisitely; there was a great energy to it, as mirrored by the almost trip back to the past pit that erupted soon into it. But Smith, for all the intrigue and laughter he inspires, was a complete mess. Only a few of the lyrics were intelligible from what i could make out. I realise he was heavily inebriated, but a bum could have been dragged from Simon and the effect wouldn't have been much different. Rest of the band looks permanently on edge, too - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I concede, but something worth noting. I'm amazed Smith hasn't packed things in by now. All in all, though - I had fun, which is the main thing, I guess. Not sure I'd pay the same for same again, mind.
I agree with pretty much everything you say. In fairness I hadn't expected a coherent performance from MES, but it would have been nice if some of the words had been clear.

When you can barely make out "we are Sparta FC", there is something very wrong.
Old 23-07-2012, 10:05 PM

Default Visiting Fall fan describes trip to Cork

"Fantastic gig , probably go in my top five folder or top ten with ease.

Here's some thoughts on the trip.

Had to get up early to be at Stansted by four for a six o' clock flight.

Got a bus from Cork airport into the city and was there at quarter to eight.
Fucking brilliant I thought , what the hell am I gonna do now.
It was then that I noticed a wreck having a fag outside a pub.( The Welcome Inn )

Could'nt possibly be open at this time , it's not even eight o' clock.
But o yesh it was.
What to do , what to do................lo tta time to kill , could'nt possibly start drinking at absurd o ' clock.
It was during my second or third pint that it hit me..............this is the best Guiness I have ever tasted.
Yup , in fact it was a great little boozer , packed with old men.
I remember thinking at the time , this would make a smashing black and white photee , some right characters , really gnarled and lived in faces , bit like Mc Gowan before he had his teeth done.
Would have made a great colour photee as well , some beautiful tones of red in those smacked arsed faces.
Just sat and lapped it up , thinking at one point , is that just ingrained grease on that fella's trousers or is it from years of the mrs ironing them like I remember my mum doing to my dad's in the sixties , giving them that burnt iron sort of sheen.

Could have sat there till I fell over but had warned myself about this , you're here for The Dall dan , don't ever forget that.

Dragged myself out and went for a Full Irish round the corner.

Oh yes , it was turning into a great day , spring in my step , sunny ( crombie was a bit of a curse but it would have it's use later..........this I knew , for I had not booked an hotel , thinking fuck it I'm getting the first plane out in the morning , I'll just find an allnighter after the gig , drink till it shuts and get a cab to the airport. )

It was now about half ten , what the hell next , I had passed a poster advertising a coach trip to Blarney , but thought ' you can kiss my arse , 30 euros.

Cork City is quite small , I mean you can walk round the place in half an hour, so I took a stroll down to the venue.
Looked great...........smal l , dingy , in a sidestreet , pink doors............... pinched the poster off them , posterity you understand.

Made a mental note where it was then thought fuck it might aswell go for another pint.
Twelve o' clock came and went and by then I knew I was'nt gonna make the afternoon never mind the gig at this rate.

Change of plan , find a room.

Someone directed me over the river , down Mac Curtain St. , you'll find loads.
Over the river was hilly , and after being knocked back about seven times , I was fucked , could'nt walk another fucking step........I know exactly how Joseph felt.
It was this thought that led to a brilliant scheme I had.
I would go and doss in a church..........well done brain I though , I owe you for that one.
So went and found a rather large church and entered , took the back pew and adopted the best sitting down prayer like pose I could , I kept on nodding off and tipping over , so I rested my head on the pew in front and continued , it was after about half an hour I noticed a warden like gimp shuffling around behind me , muttering to another worshipper and looking at me.
Better get the fuck outta here I thought , still that half hour gouch had given me a second wind.
Time for some lunch and back to plan A then................ pace yourself boy you can do it , done it before.
Ate some stodge somewhere and headed for another bar , An Roan or something sounding like that.
Cool music for the afternoon I thought , asked the barlad the name and was told they were Django Django , new to me but they're really good , three lads from Edinburgh , sounds a bit Kraftwerkee , but with a great guitar rhythm , and lovely hillbilly / rockabilly like drumming , look em up on you tube...........I did.
Anyhoo it was there that I noticed a free wi fi sign , so got on tinternet and put out a call for help.
God bless that man Mantl for hearing my sos , he turned up and we had a few.Top lad and well done for doing all three gigs mate.
We headed for venue about half nine.
I headed straight for my usuall spot , front of Pete.The whole dancefloor was empty at this point.
I noticed merch girl , stage left and motioned ' anything new '
She flashed me her new T shirt , great I thought , I'll have one of them and walked over across empty dancefloor and bought one , leaning over a little barrier to hand over the dosh. Bought two in fact , one for the missus who could'nt make the gig , work commitments.
Then walked back over to my spot , took off my Ersatz shirt , threw it on the floor and proudly put on new shirt.
It was then that I was kicked out for the first time.
What the fuck is going on I asked the bouncer outside , dunno mate I did'nt see anything , the promoter just told me to get rid of that one. ( me )

I know parts of Eire are still a bit backwaterish , but a bit of bare flesh.............su rely not.

At this point I would like to take the oppertunity to say to the HALF BALD HEADED PONYTAILED GINGA CUNT OF A PROMOTER............ ...YOU ARE ONE INTERNATIONAL CUNT MATE , OF THE FIRST ORDER............I FUCKING HATE YOU AND ALWAYS WILL.NO WONDER THE PLACE WAS HALF EMPTY IF TWATS LIKE YOU ARE IN CHARGE.WHAT NEXT MATE DRUG TESTING AT THE DOOR.
YOU WANKER.
Had to get that off my chest , I thought I'd really fucked up this time , band were due on in ten min.
Well out came the bouncer , Mantl in tow , who had straightened things out, god bless that man Mantl............che ers mate.
Behave yourself or you're out on your ear was the bouncers advice.
I had'nt fucking done anything in the first place.
Group came on , sorry can't remember much about the new one , work in progress , but then it started a brilliant Taking Off , then just got better and better , with a most sublime Nates.
Thumping cracking rocking gig..............tha nks Mark.

Had my eye on the setlist and jumped over the barrier at end of set , only got caught by the bouncers cos it was kinda stuck to the beer soaked floor a bit , and took me longer than usual .

Dragged off , blowing kisses to the harty souls at the front.

All in all , a great gig , great trip, worth every fucking hard earned penny.

http://z1.invisionfree.com/thefall/i...pic=33392&st=0
Old 23-07-2012, 10:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyboy View Post
Had my eye on the setlist and jumped over the barrier at end of set , only got caught by the bouncers cos it was kinda stuck to the beer soaked floor a bit , and took me longer than usual .

Dragged off , blowing kisses to the harty souls at the front.
a true warrior, not some event junkie

kudos

---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/
Old 23-07-2012, 10:18 PM

Having talked to a few people at the venue

Can confirm what looked obvious from this review

This guy is a crackpot and was out of order

Last edited by STEVIEG; 24-07-2012 at 03:18 PM..