Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Users Ads & Discussion > Accommodation
User Name
Password

Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Default Where to live in Cork / surroundings?

Hey guys!

Moving to cork next month, and would like to know what are the best areas and what places to avoid

Like:calmness, good transportation, green
Dislike: crime, noise, dense areas

Thanks!
Old 14-05-2012, 05:11 PM

Glasheen, Douglas Road, The Lough, Blackrock, Ballinlough and Turner's Cross are all nice areas and you can pretty much walk to town from all of these.
Old 14-05-2012, 06:39 PM

so, anything in the south half, away from the city center?
Old 15-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Psh,st lukes is lovely... If a bit dangerous at times :s
Old 15-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneChef View Post
so, anything in the south half, away from the city center?
Doesn't have to be.

I'm from the northside which is fine but you need to be a little more selective and it's handier to have local knowledge.

There are plenty of houses in the city centre but there's fuck all parking, more hassle etc.
Old 15-05-2012, 09:26 PM

what age are you
do you have a family
do you need off street parking etc
what part of the city will you be working in
Old 21-01-2013, 01:54 AM

Just wanted your opinion on the following area's please.

Sundays Well , St Lukes , Victoria Road (city end) , Glasheen

Now what I'm after really is ultimately what are they like after dark. Not looking for a certificate of safety but just your opinion for a family.

Thanks in advance.

X
Old 21-01-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feensandqueens View Post
Just wanted your opinion on the following area's please.

Sundays Well , St Lukes , Victoria Road (city end) , Glasheen

Now what I'm after really is ultimately what are they like after dark. Not looking for a certificate of safety but just your opinion for a family.

Thanks in advance.
All those areas are perfectly fine with low crime and anti-social behaviour stats.

St. Lukes is up a big hill so bear that in mind if you don't like walking! There is a house for teens who get thrown out of home/school on Ballyhooley Road nearby and when I lived up there, people blamed them for a lot of anti-social behaviour and there have been one or two muggings there and one murder (which took place in a house between people who knew each other). I wouldn't let that put you off. Statistically its very safe.

It's a cool place to live though and really close to town with good bus services (208 and 207).

Sunday's Well is a particularly nice part of the city, lots of big old houses and a general 'been here for hundreds of years' buzz about the place. Annie's is a lovely spot for a pint or a bite to eat and there are lots of tourists about in the summer heading for the old gaol. It overlooks Fitzgerald's Park as well which is one of few big green areas in the city. I'd aspire to live in SW long term...

The dog shit everywhere is the biggest issue in SW. Many dog owners on the Northside don't give a toss about it. Bugs the fuck out of me when I'm jogging.

Bit more space in Glasheen if you've kids. Pure suburbia.

Wouldn't be as clued in about Victoria Road but I imagine the amount of anti-social behaviour there is very limited. You've got Kennedy Park there as well if you want to puck a sliotar around with the kids.

Welcome to Cork!
Old 21-01-2013, 09:06 PM

@Naked Giant Attack , thanks very much for the reply. At the minute Sundays Well and St Lukes seem to be ticking more of the boxes , although Turners Cross is another spot we like.

I suppose given that I lived on one of londons worst estates growing up , reality is most places in the city will be cool. Thanks again.

X
Old 23-01-2013, 10:51 PM

Hi, Ballinlough and Blackrock are both lovely quiet places to live that are close to the city.
A great selection of schools and afterschool activities like soccer,GAA, 2 tennis clubs, swimming pools, pre-school childrens/moms groups, greens spaces to walk etc.
Plenty of shopping choices as well. Easy access to the city centre with public transport.

Good luck