Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 20-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Professor Piehead Professor Piehead is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 20,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
British Intelligence or Hitler doing strategy on the back of an envelope, curiously the Military History channel says the latter.
Heh heh Heh, I see you're coming down with a case of 2meitis, try reading a few books.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 20-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Corcaigh32 Corcaigh32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Corcaigh
Posts: 18,461
Default

To be clear, I was talking about the reason the elite Panzer divisions requested on numerous occasions by German commanders in Normandy were not there when needed.

Hitler wanted to keep the deployment of certain divisions to himself. That said, if they had been deployed, the D-day landings would not have failed but would have been significantly delayed in its progress.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 20-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Corcaigh32 Corcaigh32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Corcaigh
Posts: 18,461
Default

Hadn't seen your post. Read books? War strategy is a hobby of mine. Difference between you and I is I can acknowledge the role played by the extensive misinformation campaign exercised along the south coast including the mock up of artillery, tanks and billets etc., whereas you can't acknowledge that Hitler fucked up royally, thankfully, on many occasions during the war and this was one of the crucial ones.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 21-02-2012, 02:27 AM
Red Baron Red Baron is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Back with the peeps..
Posts: 15,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
Hadn't seen your post. Read books? War strategy is a hobby of mine. Difference between you and I is I can acknowledge the role played by the extensive misinformation campaign exercised along the south coast including the mock up of artillery, tanks and billets etc., whereas you can't acknowledge that Hitler fucked up royally, thankfully, on many occasions during the war and this was one of the crucial ones.
The Germans were under the impression that Patton was in command of the fake army.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 21-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Professor Piehead Professor Piehead is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 20,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
Hadn't seen your post. Read books? War strategy is a hobby of mine. Difference between you and I is I can acknowledge the role played by the extensive misinformation campaign exercised along the south coast including the mock up of artillery, tanks and billets etc., whereas you can't acknowledge that Hitler fucked up royally, thankfully, on many occasions during the war and this was one of the crucial ones.
Au contrarie, the fact that Hitler was as mad as a balloon is common knowledge. What is not, is that cracking the Lorenz cypher won the allies the war, like I said, British intelligence, best in the world.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 21-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Mr Bojangles Mr Bojangles is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Piehead View Post
Au contrarie, the fact that Hitler was as mad as a balloon is common knowledge. What is not, is that cracking the Lorenz cypher won the allies the war, like I said, British intelligence, best in the world.
And unlike Irish Intelligence that's not an oxymoron.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 21-02-2012, 05:04 PM
dicky glue dicky glue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 481
Default

Me thinks there is only one oxymoron here .................... .................... ....
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 21-02-2012, 06:34 PM
darkman darkman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,088
Default

Hip hip howay for Bwitian.Boo to those silly Iwish.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 21-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Red Baron Red Baron is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Back with the peeps..
Posts: 15,796
Default

Being on the winning side broke the English bank after the war when the yanks started looking for the war loans back. The only country at war which was not effected by bombings was the USA and thanks to the wartime industry they along with Russia came to be the two super powers.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 21-02-2012, 08:02 PM
strict66 strict66 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Being on the winning side broke the English bank after the war when the yanks started looking for the war loans back. The only country at war which was not effected by bombings was the USA and thanks to the wartime industry they along with Russia came to be the two super powers.
What did the Japs drop on Pearl Harbor so ? Abusive language , used condoms , rotten eggs ???

Jokes aside they didn't suffer prolonged bombing campaigns like the rest of the main players in the War , but the Japs had this mad plan to bomb mainland America using helium balloons on a timer. They weren't much success with most of them either blown miles off course or exploding in the middle of no where. The Japs invaded Alaska too with a tiny expedition force. It was really more a suicide mission to distract American forces there and to fool them into thinking an invasion was coming from there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.