Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Douglas Computer Hospital

Wat a joke!!!

When I turned on my computer a warning message came up. Im a Dub studying in UCC so all the manuals are in Dub. Decided to bring it there to let them have a look at it!!!!

Got a phone call the next day asking me did I want to purchase a new hard drive or trade in my Laptop which I had only bought in Oct because the hard drive was gone.

I dont no mush about computers but I do know that you cant totally brake a harddrive unless you drop it. Otherwise you just wipe it.

I collected my laptop and brought it home after paying a €25 euro fee. Went home to Dub on Fri. Turned on the computer and messed around with it for a few mins and ran a system recovery. The laptop had been wiped of all my work but was as good as new!!!!! Nothing at all wrong with the hard drive!!
Obviously trying to scam me!!

Even worse the bottom of the computer was hanging on by 2 screws and not even put back on properly and the DVD that was in it...gone.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:15 PM

In a battle between you and the other Claire, who would win?

Hmm, I think we should have a Claire-off.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Claire* View Post
Wat a joke!!!

When I turned on my computer a warning message came up. Im a Dub studying in UCC so all the manuals are in Dub. Decided to bring it there to let them have a look at it!!!!

Got a phone call the next day asking me did I want to purchase a new hard drive or trade in my Laptop which I had only bought in Oct because the hard drive was gone.

I dont no mush about computers but I do know that you cant totally brake a harddrive unless you drop it. Otherwise you just wipe it.

I collected my laptop and brought it home after paying a €25 euro fee. Went home to Dub on Fri. Turned on the computer and messed around with it for a few mins and ran a system recovery. The laptop had been wiped of all my work but was as good as new!!!!! Nothing at all wrong with the hard drive!!

Even worse the bottom of the computer was hanging on by 2 screws and not even put back on properly and the DVD that was in it...gone.

Drive past that place every day and have noticed that its always empty! have never seen any customers in there, this could explain why,

If you do a system recovery you will have wiped the harddrive iirc, not douglas computer hospital! did you have backups of your work?

Do you mean a dvd disk or the dvd drive, doesnt really matter you should go back and complain like fcuk! dont be fobbed off, kick up a bit of a rumpus, good luck

btw Is Dub a new language?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:25 PM

Nope all my college work is gone like.

Have only been in Cork since sept and when I have went by it thought it looked like a professional place. Obvioulsy not.

When I went bac to get the dvd all he said was we would have tried the system recovery and didnt work.

Obviously not even trained in IT!!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:25 PM

Your spelling is as hard to understand as what they did. What did they say when you called them after finding this out? You surely haven't come on here without explaining the situation to them have you?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 PM

That was swift.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 PM

No, I got my CD back. And they put in screws that dont even fit properly. They did give me back my money after arguing for ages with them. Just came on to warn other ppl how unprofessional the company is.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 PM

ok one a system restore will not wipe files only programs installed after the restore date.

I take it your using xp? (obviously if you only got it in September)..

Whatever system restore only affects programs installed not files - all is not lost however - files can be recovered (Please do not use erd) There is plenty of good software that will do the job so try not to use the laptop or save any new stuff or install anything until you get it.

Ok here are some good programs that will do that job

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/
http://www.smartundelete.com/
http://www.active-undelete.com/ (Very Good!)

There are others that can also do the job (The last one I use on client repairs)...

They are not hard to use just follow the instructions. What you should also have is an external drive. You should 'NEVER' recover files to the same drive. They can and will become corrupted.

If you are not confident enough to do that yourself, take it a reputable engineer (They do exist) and have them do the job - total cost of that should be no more than e75 (Thats what I charge tops for a data recovery and verification) that should give you an idea on the cost. Also you probably will need to have it looked at to see what other damage has been caused - add maybe another e25 for the examination..

point Two
Go to a solicitor and sue them out of fecking business - it's clowns like that who give the industry a bad fucking name!! Probably done one of those stupid jerk of FAS courses and think there computer engineers....There worse than the FAS web designers ffs....
Old 06-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Claire* View Post
Wat a joke!!!

eh your entire harddrive can go - has happened to me in work with two HP laptops - which went to recovery places btu could not be saved.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang_Sandwich View Post
eh your entire harddrive can go - has happened to me in work with two HP laptops - which went to recovery places btu could not be saved.
Yep, mechanical moving parts and all that. Harddrives do die so always back stuff up.. been bitten by a few dead harddrives where I work (no suprisingly HP laptops/PCs). One needed to go off for hardware fix but luckily data was recovered... Crowd in dublin called criticaldata.ie can restore hardware fails, costs about €600..